Thread: Sit down position...

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Sit down position...

When I play medieval-reinesaince TW games (M2TW and Empire), the pikemen's first row of men will sit down, but when I play EB, the phalangitai's first line is definitely not.... What's the advantage of the sit down position, or the all standing position is better?

Oh and another sit down questions, I hope the Triarii got all of them sit down when really idle, as they usually depicted to sit in one knee to save their stamina...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Sit down position...

Phalangites have spears that are too long to use the bracing position used by medieval pikeman. I would project above towards nothing in particular.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    When I play medieval-reinesaince TW games (M2TW and Empire), the pikemen's first row of men will sit down, but when I play EB, the phalangitai's first line is definitely not.... What's the advantage of the sit down position, or the all standing position is better?

Oh and another sit down questions, I hope the Triarii got all of them sit down when really idle, as they usually depicted to sit in one knee to save their stamina...
    the sit down is actually a kneel, the purpose IIRC is to brace for a cavalry attack-the idea being that the spears of those standing lance the rider or the shoulders, the kneelers get the belly. this was in other words, a defensive posture-on the attack the pikemen would go forward with pikes at the shoulder (contrary to M2TW).*

IIRC, there was also a forum thread regarding how the front rank kneeling deal was used by Pergamenes to fight the Galatians, to keep them from rolling under the pikes (It was I think in the EB 1 forums)

*I'm referring to medieval and renaissance practice.the pike drill was alo used by regulars from the 18th century, in the UK until 1764 9though it was practically abandoned in north America by 1759)

EDIT: if anyone is confused about the above shoulder part, here is a picture:

citing fair use of copywrighted material..(from Osprey)
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 04-19-2009 at 03:38.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

certainly the pezhetairoi, with all their drilling, would have far more tricks up their sleeves than to stand there pointing their sarrisae in the right direction....I'd imagine they would have drills for different sorts of situations, similar to the swiss 1k years later.

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    IIRC, there was also a forum thread regarding how the front rank kneeling deal was used by Pergamenes to fight the Galatians, to keep them from rolling under the pikes (It was I think in the EB 1 forums)
    This has been mentioned before, and it is entirely unsubstantiated. We neither have evidence that Galatians rolled under the sarissae of phalangites to attack the phalanx (we don't have any information at all about how Galatians faced a phalanx) nor do we have any evidence that phalangites ever fought in any position other than standing.

Quote Originally Posted by MeinPanzer View Post
    This has been mentioned before, and it is entirely unsubstantiated. We neither have evidence that Galatians rolled under the sarissae of phalangites to attack the phalanx (we don't have any information at all about how Galatians faced a phalanx) nor do we have any evidence that phalangites ever fought in any position other than standing.
    I see-I was just citing the thread. didn't know it was falsified.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 04-18-2009 at 03:27.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Blog Entries

@Ibrahim
    did they actually crawl under the sarrisa, or just dodging the sarrisa? I know that the Spanish swordsmen did something to face the phalanx (pike wall formation) from the front in medieval times... (perhaps the Lusotann did also?)

I see-I was just citing the thread. didn't know it was falsified.
    Actually it is not falsified either. It is unconfirmed but not falsified. Still I'd doubt JMRC would make another set of animations purely for the benefit of vague ideas about hypothetical thechniques without much of a basis...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

@Ibrahim
    did they actually crawl under the sarrisa, or just dodging the sarrisa? I know that the Spanish swordsmen did something to face the phalanx (pike wall formation) from the front in medieval times... (perhaps the Lusotann did also?)
    the spanish buckler men, the German two handed swodsmen, etc, all had the same approach really: use a sword (and in spain's case, a buckler) to cut, hack, or seperate the pikes, and get in close, ruining the pike formation. It was not an overly effective tactic for the Germans though-the Germans didn't keep that idea for long. dunno about spain.

Blog Entries

Reminds me of the XGM mod, in that mod, the original phalanx formation was made somewhat loose and has more space between the pikes... The favt is, in this mod, you can break militia pikemen with Celtic Chosen Swords from the front without taking much casuality (but more elite and well trained pikemen didn't as easily... you'll suffer much casualities)

Now what about the sit down position and the Roman Triarii... They should sit when they are not in combat...

Post Re: Sit down position...

Now what about the sit down position and the Roman Triarii... They should sit when they are not in combat...
    That would be difficult to implement.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeinPanzer View Post
    Well we don't know they didn't either. Though we do know that both Hoplites and Legionaries would kneel to recieve cavalry. So it is not unreasonable.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    Hide anywhere.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Blog Entries

but I think, for the triarii, we can implement some of the animation of pikemen, which cause them to sit down (use the front line animation) when stand in guard mode... and didn't enggange anything...

Post Re: Sit down position...

but I think, for the triarii, we can implement some of the animation of pikemen, which cause them to sit down (use the front line animation) when stand in guard mode... and didn't enggange anything...
    Go ahead and do it. When you're successful, come back and show us.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Well we don't know they didn't either. Though we do know that both Hoplites and Legionaries would kneel to recieve cavalry. So it is not unreasonable.
    And yet we have several detailed sources that describe the Macedonian phalanx and its operation (Polybius and Asclepiodotus being the two most important) as well as numerous descriptions of battles facing numerous different types of troops, and none of them mention anything like this. Unlike hoplites or legionaries, phalangites were restricted in the actions they could perform due to the rigid formation of their phalanx, and so it seems very doubtful that they would do so.

Plus, the claim that hoplites knelt to receive cavalry is hypothetical, and is AFAIK based solely on a handful of representations on vase paintings of kneeling hoplites, which in itself presents a number of flaws to this argument.

Blog Entries

But when I implement the pikemen animation on the armoured sergeants, they instead go crazy with carrying their shields horizontally, and attack with the most impossible type of animation (they grip the spearhead! duh...) but their first line do rest in sit down position...... I suspect this need to be done on M2TW's "phalanx" formation, because if I put "phalanx" out, they didn't sit , but I have no more clue.... anyone can help?

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

It's also worth remembering that the Classical and Medieval pike doctrines evolved in very different contexts. Jus to point out the obvious difference, the former were essentially a mobile wall whose (original, anyway) purpose was to pin the enemy center in place for the cavalry to flank and destroy. The latter, conversely, was developed by a confederation which for most intents and purposes had no shock cavalry, and had to more or less depend entirely on their infantry for victory.

Similarly, while the Classical phalangites fought in a long but comparatively thin line and were severely vulnerable to flanking should it become disjointed, the Medieval and later pikes operated mainly in huge rectangular "living fortresses", with integral missile and close-combat support troops, that could fight in all directions if need be; the Swiss at least usually deployed three en echelon, so that the "main" and "rearguard" squares covered the flanks of the vanguard formation.

Regarding the "close assault" troops used to create holes in pike lines, AFAIK the two-handed sword stopped being an effective pike-chopper chiefly because everybody started unsportinly adding long metal strips (usually called "langets", IIRC) to their pike-shafts as a reinforcement...
    Anyway, the standard kit for such "assault infantry" was a mixture of big swords, polearms, swords and shields and - rather importantly - good armour; AFAIK "three-quarters" plate (that is, full body and arm defences plus the upper legs) was common...
    Quite a far cry from what the warriors of Antiquity had to make do with, obviously.

Proper knights and men-at-arms, of course, then sported some of the best defensive gear mankind has ever devised (before modern times anyway) and when dismounted were often a very serious headache for even the best pikemen. I've also seen references of 1500s French Gendarmes - arguably the apex of the European "heavy lancer" concept - in fact on occasion having been capable of punching a lance charge right through a Swiss square, although to no great effect as the blighters just closed ranks over their casualties afterwards...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    in M2, when infantry are being deployed pre-battle (and even when the battle starts but the enemy is not very close) the men just stand around at ease (and their formation is looser) or they cheer. When they cheer, sometimes a man drops to his knees, why cant you implement all the triarii dropping to their knees when they are at ease? is it possible? just throwing ideas out here
    "An army of Sheep led by a Lion will always defeat an army of Lions led by a Sheep"
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    "War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left."
    "In order to test a man's strength of character, do not give him adversity, for any man can handle adversity, but instead give him POWER.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    "A man once asked me who my grandfather was. I told him I didn't know who he was, and didn't care. I cared more about who his grandson will be."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

A maniple of sit down and cheering triarii!!!

You must play the Teutonic campaign... actually in other kingdoms campaign, they didn't cheer too much...

the spanish buckler men, the German two handed swodsmen, etc, all had the same approach really: use a sword (and in spain's case, a buckler) to cut, hack, or seperate the pikes, and get in close, ruining the pike formation. It was not an overly effective tactic for the Germans though-the Germans didn't keep that idea for long. dunno about spain.
    I have adressed this in the abovementioned thread. The Spaniards fared quite well with that technique.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Even though this probably wouldn't work, has anyone tried hide_anywhere with the cannot_hide modifiers in the EDU to make kneeling Triarii?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009