Hey guys

I'm still in my first campaign (I take my time :p) playing Sweden. A few weeks ago I finally got around to building the top tier military building and started recruiting guards. The maximum number I can recruit seems to be six. Appropriate to have a limit imho, perhaps it's rather low though considering the vast empire I control.

I recently went to war with France, or rather they went to war with me and I destroyed them in three turns. Now, the french had guards in some battles, and their regimental number was above 10. This does not prove anything I suppose since they may easily have lost entire regiments of guards prior to our conflict, giving the new ones a higher number. What they do have though is several types of elite infantry, with names that I am not able to spell or recall now. Ecossias? something something? The foreign legion too but I don't remember if they're particularly "elite". Anyway, they have those in addition to guards it would seem.

So, my question:

Do factions have different caps on the amount of guard units they can recruit, and is the cap separate for different elite units.

Wouldn't it be appropriate if the amount of guard you could have would somehow be proportional to the population or land area you controlled?

Commit the guard.