Thread: Guards and other elite infantry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Guards and other elite infantry

Hey guys

I'm still in my first campaign (I take my time :p) playing Sweden. A few weeks ago I finally got around to building the top tier military building and started recruiting guards. The maximum number I can recruit seems to be six. Appropriate to have a limit imho, perhaps it's rather low though considering the vast empire I control.

I recently went to war with France, or rather they went to war with me and I destroyed them in three turns. Now, the french had guards in some battles, and their regimental number was above 10. This does not prove anything I suppose since they may easily have lost entire regiments of guards prior to our conflict, giving the new ones a higher number. What they do have though is several types of elite infantry, with names that I am not able to spell or recall now. Ecossias? something something? The foreign legion too but I don't remember if they're particularly "elite". Anyway, they have those in addition to guards it would seem.

So, my question:

Do factions have different caps on the amount of guard units they can recruit, and is the cap separate for different elite units.

Wouldn't it be appropriate if the amount of guard you could have would somehow be proportional to the population or land area you controlled?

Commit the guard.

Default Re: Guards and other elite infantry

I know for certain that playing as France, you only get one Royal Ecossais unit. I believe it is the same for the British Black Watch and Coldstream Guards.

The other elite French infantry are Infanterie Petit-Vieux, Infanterie Vieux and Maison du Roi.
    Last edited by Miracle; 04-17-2009 at 09:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
    I know for certain that playing as France, you only get one Royal Ecossais unit...The other elite French infantry are Infanterie Petit-Vieux, Infanterie Vieux and Maison du Roi.
    France also gets Buckley's Rgt and I'm pretty sure that Maison du Roi or Infanterie Vieux are their "Generic Guards" unit available in 6 servings which gives France 10 Guards units .

Factions with specific {historical} Guards units seem to get the full 6 "Generic" ones too on top of their "specials" {I know Britain does because I'm playing them right now} so Britain ets 8 Poland gets more elite cavalry and everyone else gets only 6 {and some get none !} .

Note with France , whilst Infanterie Petit-Vieux aren't quite Guard quality Rgt. Étranger have very good morale {11} and they get at least 4 of them so they actually have a very powerful roster .
    I think this was done to compensate for the recruitment systems' inability to properly represent Frances' true strength in land warefare which was to raise very large armies of good quality due to having the largest population of any European country {Russia might have had more at a later point in the period , but they were mostly medieval style serfs whom the state simply refused to allow to have any good training or arms , even when used in war , least they use that training to rebel from the virtual slavery in which they lived} .

Reallistically , the main region of France of game needs to be broken up into at least 2 regions {north and south} and I would prefer as many as 4 {one north east capitaled by Paris as the nation capital , one being part of Normandie and Bretony , one being in the south west and the last being south east called Gascony , and one of the 3 new region capitals should also be a "nation capital" like Paris ... France was very rich within its' European territories at this time} to better represent their capacity to churn out large armies fast and to stop the sillyness of being able to conquer France its' self in one frikking battle :/ !

All nations really need their unit rosters filling out {the Dutch as I mentioned need their mercenaries} and the stats need normalising {some of the differences are too great -almost cartoonishly so in some cases : Austrias' Line Infantry for example or the defense stat of dedicated melee infantry even if they have armour and/or shield !} .
    C/A claim they modeled their stats and armies o make each faction feel different , but they seem to have done so with very little elegance and nowhere near enough fidelity to the historical reality of each nations military {one big example is Russias' line infantry ; in reality it was just as good as most others but Russia also used lots of lesser quality troops . C/A simply bundled all this into one unit instead of giving Russia several cheap extra units and Line Infantry up to the basic European standard} .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

I didn't know there was a limit to the number of Winged Hussars I could build...

Thanks Frost for that in depth response. Could you clarify a little how many of each of the french special units you can recruit? Is one of them the republican type of guard? Like the factions with lesser attention seem to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Guy View Post
    Thanks Frost for that in depth response. Could you clarify a little how many of each of the french special units you can recruit? Is one of them the republican type of guard? Like the factions with lesser attention seem to get?
    Sorry , I havn't spent much time with France yet {waiting for the modding tools :/} but I'm pretty certain they some sort of Republican Elite .
    They get 24lbr Guard Cannon and 18lbr Guard Horse Cannon {4 units of each} which are much better than the ordinary version {tested them in custom} , espically that horse cannon {18lbr vs 6lbr and more accurate plus faster reload as well as much higher moral and melee stats} , but I'm not certain if it is only for Republic France or for Monarchies too .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

So, my question:

Do factions have different caps on the amount of guard units they can recruit, and is the cap separate for different elite units.

Wouldn't it be appropriate if the amount of guard you could have would somehow be proportional to the population or land area you controlled?

Commit the guard.
    Probably means the French had a few of their lower numbered guard units destroyed and built brand new units.

Complicated question! You first have to understand that there is no such thing as a ' generic guard '
    In each nation the Guard units were formed under different circumstances. Refering to the napoleonistic wars : Russian Guard units were son of Noblemen. British Guard were the stronger and thougher soldiers handpicked while the french Guard were simply veterans with many campaigns fought.

So to be historical correct you would have to allow Britain more Guard as their army grows while Russia shouldn't get more if they recruit more army. Russia should get more Guard if they conquer more territories pherhaps. While for the french you would have to fight a lot to get more Guard.

So they just say you get 6 and solved the problem is my best guess