Thread: The War on Tourism

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Default The War on Tourism

The British can sleep soundly in their beds now that the machinations of terrorists pretending to be tourists have been foiled.

Isn't it wonderful that Her Majesty's Government has provided the police with such important powers? Frankly, I think all foreigners should be gunned down on the spot (or after a jolly good chase, if you're a traditionalist). This would free up the subjects of the Crown so that their personal data can be sifted through at the whim of any old civil servant or even the local council rat-catcher.

Democracy - ur doin' it wrong.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Default Re: The War on Tourism

The police should be arrested and charged with destruction of evidence .

Though I think a worse example is that footage of the City Police (you know the ones with scientology funding) who threatened to arrest reporters if they carried on reporting at the G20 protests .

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost View Post
    The British can sleep soundly in their beds now that the machinations of terrorists pretending to be tourists have been foiled.

Isn't it wonderful that Her Majesty's Government has provided the police with such important powers? Frankly, I think all foreigners should be gunned down on the spot (or after a jolly good chase, if you're a traditionalist). This would free up the subjects of the Crown so that their personal data can be sifted through at the whim of any old civil servant or even the local council rat-catcher.

Democracy - ur doin' it wrong.
    That's hilarious stuff...

This must be a golden age for comedians
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post
    The police should be arrested and charged with destruction of evidence .

Though I think a worse example is that footage of the City Police (you know the ones with scientology funding) who threatened to arrest reporters if they carried on reporting at the G20 protests .
    I'm surprised they haven't tried to charge the fellow who took that video of the policeman shoving a man to the floor so he could have his heart attack in the prone position. Maybe they don't fancy the extradition proceedings, but I guess next time there is a protest march, the Met will arrest everyone with a mobile phone.

What's even more uplifting for the British subject, is that an MP can be arrested and threatened with life imprisonment (under that lovely and ever-so flexible terrorism legislation again) for receiving information that might hold the government to account, but the same can't be touched for embezzling taxpayers' money for personal gain on a truly epic scale.
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 04-17-2009 at 13:26. Reason: Added video link for those who might not know the story
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : The War on Tourism

Terrorists photographing British military secrets!!

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Where's Monty Python when you need them? The only way to combat this Homeland Security run amok is public ridicule.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Could the labour government be any more of a joke, especially after this weeks latest scandal?

I don't think so..

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Taking any picture of the police is a crime.

Must be useful considering how the police can concoct stories:

"We were helping a protester when he collapsed, the other protesters not only pelted the police with objects, but blocked the ambulance from responding."

"Oh, did the video show the police assaulted the man who was doing nothing with hands in pockets, stopped protestors from helping the man on the ground and it was the police that blocked the ambulance?... Oh... Ok, we're off to arrest that Terrorist who took a picture of police - suspicious behaviour, that is..."

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

i guess the term "total war" takes a new meaning...
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I hate tourists, we should just shoot them all and have done with them.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What on earth... words fail me...
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinseikhaan View Post
    What on earth... words fail me...
    Be careful what you say there Shinseik, we will shoot any tourist sympathizers as well. Aiding and Abetting and all that jazz.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Terrorists are also trying to get their children into their choice of school, and in a final, glorious fulfilment of Arlo Guthrie's vision, you're not moral enough to be a terrorist because of litterin'.
    Albert Camus "Noces"

I like how the guardian links to a picture of the station that the two were not allowed to take a picture of.

I guess next up they will replace Britain with a black box on google earth and have it removed from road maps everywhere.
    The british government is trying really hard to make Britain look really stupid to the outside world, I kind of liked Britain until a few years ago, what I read here recently is at the same time scary and laughable.
    Last edited by Husar; 04-17-2009 at 18:57.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

The bloke the copper battered didn't have a heart attack. Bleeding in his abdominal cavity is the flavour of the day.

I've never known anything like this lot of complete hoons. They make Sunny Jim and Wilson look good, and believe me that's some achievement. Only another 12 months to go before they are chucked in the bin. Can't come soon enough.

Election now.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    The bloke the copper battered didn't have a heart attack. Bleeding in his abdominal cavity is the flavour of the day.

I've never known anything like this lot of complete hoons. They make Sunny Jim and Wilson look good, and believe me that's some achievement. Only another 12 months to go before they are chucked in the bin. Can't come soon enough.

Election now.
    I feel the police incident deserves it's own topic, think im going to start a thread up on it.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Election now.
    Are the Tories going to stop the police abuse then? Past record shows they tend towards giving the police more power, not less. I've been reading about Hillsborough recently, and the police back then don't look any better than the current lot, with the same inclination to cover their backsides.

Aye but you could photgraph them back then.

It makes you wonder at the hype coming from Jackboot Smith about terrorist activity when she's still going on about Damian Green. Which is the only time an opposition MP has been arrested at the behest of the government. If the best that the left can do is shout Thatcher did it and point, then they're surely dead and buried. This time let's seal the coffin.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hold on- You Brits got a parliamentary system, dontcha? Surely there's got to be some other party besides labour and Tories to vote for, right? Right? I mean, this is completely asinine. And the thing is, this sorta stuff's been escalating for a while now.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Hold on- You Brits got a parliamentary system, dontcha? Surely there's got to be some other party besides labour and Tories to vote for, right? Right? I mean, this is completely asinine. And the thing is, this sorta stuff's been escalating for a while now.
    We've had the Nu-Labour stasi in power for the past 12 years. Boy, does it show.

As for another party, yes there's the Lib-Dems. No one takes them seriously though.

Aye but you could photgraph them back then.

It makes you wonder at the hype coming from Jackboot Smith about terrorist activity when she's still going on about Damian Green. Which is the only time an opposition MP has been arrested at the behest of the government. If the best that the left can do is shout Thatcher did it and point, then they're surely dead and buried. This time let's seal the coffin.
    The point, which you're probably deliberately missing, is that the police will continue doing this kind of thing unless a government that prioritises civil liberties comes in. Which historically hasn't been the Tories. The argument goes that the schism between the general populace and the police began with the miners' strike, when Thatcher used the police to crush the miners. That either initiated, or encouraged, the divide between "us" (the police) and "them" (the civilian population), with a perpetual struggle between the "us" and the "them". That this stance is politically popular can be seen in the efforts by both Tories and New Labour to outdo each other in offering new powers to the police. Do you want this to stop? Then I presume you'll be voting Lib Dem in the next election? Since, as far as their track record goes, that's the only one of the three main parties that will actually try to address the problem that you're blaming on Labour.

As InsaneApache says in post 20, which I missed, he prefers it when his party are doing the oppressing. There's actually a third party, the Liberal Democrats, who actually stand up for civil liberties, unlike the Tories and Labour, but as he says, no-one takes them seriously, as no-one actually wants civil liberties - what they want is their lot to be in power, crushing the others under their jackboots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The point, which you're probably deliberately missing, is that the police will continue doing this kind of thing unless a government that prioritises civil liberties comes in. Which historically hasn't been the Tories. The argument goes that the schism between the general populace and the police began with the miners' strike, when Thatcher used the police to crush the miners. That either initiated, or encouraged, the divide between "us" (the police) and "them" (the civilian population), with a perpetual struggle between the "us" and the "them". That this stance is politically popular can be seen in the efforts by both Tories and New Labour to outdo each other in offering new powers to the police. Do you want this to stop? Then I presume you'll be voting Lib Dem in the next election? Since, as far as their track record goes, that's the only one of the three main parties that will actually try to address the problem that you're blaming on Labour.
    You mean the miners that were using violence against other miners who wanted to work. Despite the fact that no ballot was ever cast for a strike. That Scargills thugs were stopped was the best thing that could have happened.

You mean the miners that were using violence against other miners who wanted to work. Despite the fact that no ballot was ever cast for a strike. That Scargills thugs were stopped was the best thing that could have happened.
    The argument is that it set the tone for later police attitudes towards the public - "us" vs "them". I also mentioned something that the article seemed to miss, that this use of the police was actually politically popular, hence the two main parties vying to give them extra powers. One can see that, in many of these cases, the police's abuse of power wasn't actually instigated by the government as such, but they were granted that power to use at their discretion, then they abuse it as if it were their right. It's not going to change under the Tories, as they're equally apt to play the authoritarian card, as they did so from the 1980s, when they showed that police power was a political plus.

If you don't like the police abusing their power, the best way to stop it is to actually elect a government that checks these authoritarian urges, ie. the Lib Dems. Not Labour, nor the Tories, as both pander to the authoritarian right.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    This must be a golden age for comedians
    Thinks of V for Vendetta........ or a black bag. It's almost comical I agree but there really nothing to laugh about, ewwwwww for surveillance-society's.