Thread: Romani Campaign Questions

Default Romani Campaign Questions

Background: All settings Highest. Difficulty: VH/VH Faction: Romani

In the opening moves I combine the two armies, from Arretium and Arpi and give them to my FM,Lucius Aurelius Cotta (starts oustide Arpi). I use him as the general for 1 full stack army. With him i conquer all of Italy, Dalmatia, and Epirus(10 stars). YEAR 230: I am swimming in cash since i have 1 standing army and have bustling trade of the adriatic. Few turns later i have over 200,000. I know i have to limit my money or all my family members will become "Fat" Cats, but my problem is I can't, along with keeping the integrity of my campaign. I tried spending it on construction which only made me richer. I don't want to give money away to other factions or spam stacks, so i was wondering if you guys had any realistic, cool, historic way to solve my problem.

And, I need some recommendations for A new campaign because i have lost the will, with all this money (sad isn't it). BTW, just completed Lusotann so that's out. All you Hayasdan/Sauromatae lovers make your case to me.
    Son of the Glorious Empire of Croatia
    traits: Distrusts Hairy Middle-Easteners, Reverant, Austere, True Roman.

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

Default Re: Romani Campaign Questions

You could build a lot of fleets to limit your money, they are quite expensive, you could also pay factions you are allied with to attack your enemies, that's what I started doing in my last romani campaign, paying saba great wodges of cash to attack the ptolies.

Interfering with overseas diplomacy can be quite fun. Something else I did was build large armies and go on conquests through egypt, burning all as i went and giving everything I took to saba. It's great fun really.

*edit* writing all this is making me want to start another romani campaign but I'm having too much fun writing my Baktrian AAR, so maybe later.

You should have a go as Baktria, they have a tricky, but not impossible starting position and a huge variety of troops to choose from.
    Last edited by miotas; 04-18-2009 at 15:32.

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

I never thought about that, i considered giving tribute away for alliances and military access etc. But, conquering a region and donating it to an ally could be quite interesting, i.e. donating Hispania to Macedonia. Still i would like a recommendation for new faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Magnus View Post
    I never thought about that, i considered giving tribute away for alliances and military access etc. But, conquering a region and donating it to an ally could be quite interesting, i.e. donating Hispania to Macedonia. Still i would like a recommendation for new faction.
    Is this Romani campaign your first game on EB? If so before you jump straight to the east I would suggest taking baby steps, first go to makedonia, then sauromate, which is an eastern horse faction through and through, just without the insane difficulty of saka, pahlava or hai, and then go to a full on eastern faction.

This is what I did and the first three I mentioned had been my favourites for yonks until I tried Baktria, which is basically a more horse orientated makedonia.

So basically I would suggest makedonia or sauromate for you next game.

No, second attempt at Romani, first one i quit with 70 or so regions. I have been playing for EB a year and a half or so. I have played Makedonia and Sauromate several times and am very effective with HA and Phalanx factions, especially phalanx. I have dabbled with all factions except Saba and Saka. I am looking for a faction that will keep me intrigued turn the 1st century b.c.: open to all suggestions except:Rome,Carthage,Lusotann,arvernii,adeui. I have never played Saka, and i am leaning towards it to put my financial management to the test. any tips and warnings are welcome from all who dare to try tame saka.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Magnus View Post
    No, second attempt at Romani, first one i quit with 70 or so regions. I have been playing for EB a year and a half or so. I have played Makedonia and Sauromate several times and am very effective with HA and Phalanx factions, especially phalanx. I have dabbled with all factions except Saba and Saka. I am looking for a faction that will keep me intrigued turn the 1st century b.c.: open to all suggestions except:Rome,Carthage,Lusotann,arvernii,adeui. I have never played Saka, and i am leaning towards it to put my financial management to the test. any tips and warnings are welcome from all who dare to try tame saka.
    Well perhaps you should ignore my advice then

The longest I've played is with rome until about 170 and less than 60 regions. I would however suggest Baktria, if you haven't tried it already, they are quite fun with a lot of troops, I'm on my first try now, but on the first try I had only 1 city at 230 and by 200 I still only had 5 settlements, so they can be played rather slowly and still be fun.
    Last edited by miotas; 04-18-2009 at 16:23. Reason: same word twice

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

I never get uber rich in my Roman campaigns. I don't allow myself. Sometimes its annoying having too little money though, but having limitless money like 200K is more boring.

I always have plenty of armies; several legions (as soon as I have about 20k excess money I make a new legion). I expand slowly so that my enemies grow large (thus needing more legions to combat the problem) and I don't get too much money by conquering.

Large navies is another good tip, and creating forts in many places to act as garrisons across the region, occupied by mercs or Roman/Allied units, for roleplay reasons. I usually keep my city garrisons relatively high. And I give money to other factions. This all helps to keep me below 50-70k, and I'm in 178BC.
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beanerz View Post
    I never get uber rich in my Roman campaigns. I don't allow myself. Sometimes its annoying having too little money though, but having limitless money like 200K is more boring.

I always have plenty of armies; several legions (as soon as I have about 20k excess money I make a new legion). I expand slowly so that my enemies grow large (thus needing more legions to combat the problem) and I don't get too much money by conquering.

Large navies is another good tip, and creating forts in many places to act as garrisons across the region, occupied by mercs or Roman/Allied units, for roleplay reasons. I usually keep my city garrisons relatively high. And I give money to other factions. This all helps to keep me below 50-70k, and I'm in 178BC.
    Yeah I always have Legions standing around in Illyricum, Hispania and North afcrica, without having enemies there. Good for Roleplaying!!
    And having the Germanic tribes surrounded by 5 legions and the constant 4 legions at the parthian front does hurt the moneybag also!

Same here - as soon as I reach the Marian reforms, I start creating legions whose only purpose is to guard particular regions and wipe out the occasional rebel army that crops up. At this point (110 BCE) I have a legion in Mauretania/Africa, Hispania, Gallia, Germania, Thracia, Graecia and Aegyptus. Come to think of it, I should probably add more - Asia could use a legion, as could the Levant. -M
    My Balloons:

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Exclamation Re: Romani Campaign Questions

Ummm, cheating anyone? add_money -150000?

it is not cheating if you are subtracting the money, really. Just think of it as "locking away the excess money". Or something else. In any case, too much of everything is really, really easy too fix. The real problem is when you are lacking something