Thread: Does anyone like RTW anymore

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Exclamation Does anyone like RTW anymore

God this forum is empty these days. It brings a tear to my eye. Cmon i know you are all still out there. Myself, well i haven't updated because of logistical issues but that doesn't mean i would stop rtwin it. I know there are still players out there, why just last week i converted two of my mates to be rtw fanatics so i know the game still has some entertainment value.

So any ideas on how to reconnect to our lost brethren. (curse you etw and the flow of modern technology!!!!!!!!!)

Default Re: Does anyone like RTW anymore

I'm a "convert" myself, having played MTW VI and Shogun for a number of years. Vista forced me to re examine my options, and I 've found looking at mods has improved the appeal of RTW. It runs smoothly - which is a big bonus. Still can't use "huge" armies, though.

I'm playing Lusted's Terrae Expugnandae, by the way, and getting that familiar old school feel of both MTW and Shogun.

Being relatively new to RTW, I'm zipping around trying to find solutions to problems that must have been sorted out on previous threads.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Empire crashes my PC, and to be honest I didn't like it much anyway. So, back to RTW and BI for the meantime, may do a bit of EB during the summer holidays...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Yeah i know what you mean about etw crashing on you. And my computer couldn't reasonably handle it. Meaning that i would have to auto calc every battle and the campaign map would take ages to do. I know that rtw has its flaws but thats where the mods come in. I mean i recently came back from mods like rtr and eb and vanilla feels like a brand new game. I can also mod a little on my own (armies, ai tendencies, units, province ownership, etc.) so there is always something new to do. I'm not a fanatic but i miss all the chatter that used to be on this forum even if i wasn't the most active member (points to number of posts)

I still like RTW. It is the only game I play on a regular basis.

But I am so busy working on my mod that I rarely have time to do much more than glance through the four RTW forums I regularly haunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Furze View Post
    I'm playing Lusted's Terrae Expugnandae, by the way, and getting that familiar old school feel of both MTW and Shogun..
    Give a look at Divus' facelift of TE, you can find out more about it here
    Last edited by SubRosa; 04-19-2009 at 03:14.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

Yeah i know what you mean i know loads of folks that still play the game, but still numbers have been lost. *sigh* by the way subrosa what mod are you working on???
    Last edited by Centurion1; 04-19-2009 at 03:18.

I think most RTW folks are over at TWC is all. Most of the people here at the Guild seem to be in the other game forums, because I always see a pile of names signed in when I go to the front page. They must be somewhere.

Click on the link in my sig to see what I am working on.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    I still like RTW. It is the only game I play on a regular basis.
    Same here.

I stil play RTW because, firstly my computer cannot play M2TW, and secondly, I'm way more fascinated by classical antiquity than medieval or Renaissance history.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

I still like RTW.

I just don’t have any time to play any Total War games recently, exams and all that. Will get Empire around June-July, hopefully it will be as good as some people say it is.

It’s not just the Coliseum that’s been rather empty these days – the Citadel is faring little better. Also the Shogun and Medieval areas are all quite empty, guess it’s the destiny for these old games, there nothing we can do about it unfortunately.

I got bored with ETW little over a week ago so went back to RTW, wich is and always will be my all time favourite.
    The only possible reason for me to stop playing is if the good people of CA would choose to make RTW II.
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

I stole it from a stupid Iceni Member Shieldmaiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quirinus View Post
    I'm way more fascinated by classical antiquity than medieval or Renaissance history.
    Ditto.

Though I'm going to get M2TW again, variety is nice

ETW doesn't interest me at all.
    "Now, once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what was and the dream of what could be..."

- King Arthur, Excalibur

Thanks, SubRosa. That's a nice site.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

I love RTW over all the others. Its just a brilliant game

After playing a bit of ETW I went back to Rome because I'm just in the mood for it. I even registered to this forum to get a couple of questions that I never asked answered. I'm having a blast playing as Armenia right now.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Does anyone like RTW anymore

For me, RTW has more eyecandy and less substance than some of the others in the TW series. So once the coolness of watching my onagers and archers burn a city to the ground, or my elephants trample cohorts wore off, all the the things I don't like about RTW started to creep in and now it sits on the shelf collecting dust.......
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 04-23-2009 at 22:54.
    High Plains Drifter

I went back to RTW this week, from a stint of M2:tw and EB... mainly because EB, which I love, just doesn't run properly on my lap-top beyond "normal" unit size and any roman game crashes around 247 bce (and EB is kinda fiddly too, though it's rather nice to be able to recruit all 3 heavy infantry types the romans used right from the get-go). I'm going to lay-off EB till I get a new, up-to-date laptop (should take me half a year of saving-up)... oh, but then I'll first go for Empire off course, played on my brothers laptop and it's rather neat. If you think it's a hassle to do all that stuff, try europa barbarorum, there's so much to take into account when you play that game... and then there's the crazy people who try to do it historically accurate too. with the romans, that means a sloooow progression. in RTW it would mean doing nothing for half a century if you're the scipii, even longer with the other two families.

I like RTW for it's deceptive simplicity and tactical movement and the variety in troops and factions, even though some are not historically accurate, and I've always been fond of classical history. the only fault I find with vanilla rome is that the celtic warbands do not throw javelins before they charge (as they should)
    Last edited by Master Young Phoenix; 04-25-2009 at 10:03.

If you want a gaming rig, do not get a laptop. Put your money into a desktop. You will get a bigger, better monitor, better video card, better everything. Plus you can upgrade in the future.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    God this forum is empty these days. It brings a tear to my eye. Cmon i know you are all still out there. Myself, well i haven't updated because of logistical issues but that doesn't mean i would stop rtwin it. I know there are still players out there, why just last week i converted two of my mates to be rtw fanatics so i know the game still has some entertainment value.

So any ideas on how to reconnect to our lost brethren. (curse you etw and the flow of modern technology!!!!!!!!!)
    Just few people play it. The forum might be dead, but look at Shogun forum. It's even dead.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I play all of them except for Empire (What a disapointment).
    I'm playing Rome right now. Just played Barbarian previously.
    My all time favorite is still Shogun. As elementery as it is it still has
    a more serious tone to it. Total War started to loose that after Rome.
    I do like MTW2 I have to say. It wouldn't be fair to can that.
    "This is no way for a leader to behave, but in battle it's beyond belief."

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post

Hi - I recently bought the "Total Wars Eras " compilation.

I have just started to play the 'ROME' game (a complete novice). Ignored for now the other two games.

I love the Roman period in history - (they eventually invaded my Country - when [Little Boot]Calligullar ruled).

Please keep this forum alive. I will return - after playing the game, for adivice.

Zoodling Millipede Member Ariovistus Maximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simulate View Post

I have just started to play the 'ROME' game (a complete novice). Ignored for now the other two games.

I love the Roman period in history - (they eventually invaded my Country - when [Little Boot]Calligullar ruled).

Please keep this forum alive. I will return - after playing the game, for adivice.
    Hey sim! Welcome to the .Org. 'Tis a most friendly and congenial place.

Well, if you'd like to further inspire your taste for TW games, I suggest you have a look at the AAR forum. Basically, people play the game and write about it as kind of a novel. Very good stuff.

And once you become familiar with the game, you might try one of the modifications, which allow you to adapt the game to your taste.

So... you live in... Brazil?
    Last edited by Ariovistus Maximus; 08-21-2009 at 02:17.
    OF DESTINY AND DUTY: A GALATIAN AAR
    Preview of the Week:

And then check out my ANCIENT WEAPONS STUDY

My balloons: x 8

Smile Re: Does anyone like RTW anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Ariovistus Maximus View Post
    Hey sim! Welcome to the .Org. 'Tis a most friendly and congenial place.

Well, if you'd like to further inspire your taste for TW games, I suggest you have a look at the AAR forum. Basically, people play the game and write about it as kind of a novel. Very good stuff.

And once you become familiar with the game, you might try one of the modifications, which allow you to adapt the game to your taste.

So... you live in... Brazil?
    Thanks for the welcome.

.... Brazil?

Thanks anyway.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simulate View Post

The forum need a revolution or something. You know, a new patch, a new expansion or something.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I'va also, at last, started playing RTW seriously after the demise of MTW. I'm playing vanilla vanilla-no factions unlocked, Julii, no mods, just straight ol' plain ol'. And enjoying it.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Quote Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    The forum need a revolution or something. You know, a new patch, a new expansion or something.
    Well, RTR 7 should be coming out, and there are many mods for RTW that are quite alive.

And really the AI doesn't seem to be developing greatly in intelligence by each game (they still don't do naval invasions AFAIK), I think RTW is far from extinct.
    Preview of the Week:

I always like coming back to this thread. Always nice to see that there are new players in the rtw community.

4 pages, not bad, all in all

Not only the pages, but the length. This is the oldest non-stickied thread I've seen.

Actually it's among the first threads I posted in...
    Preview of the Week: