Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone like RTW anymore

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Exclamation Does anyone like RTW anymore

God this forum is empty these days. It brings a tear to my eye. Cmon i know you are all still out there. Myself, well i haven't updated because of logistical issues but that doesn't mean i would stop rtwin it. I know there are still players out there, why just last week i converted two of my mates to be rtw fanatics so i know the game still has some entertainment value.

So any ideas on how to reconnect to our lost brethren. (curse you etw and the flow of modern technology!!!!!!!!!)

Default Re: Does anyone like RTW anymore

I'm a "convert" myself, having played MTW VI and Shogun for a number of years. Vista forced me to re examine my options, and I 've found looking at mods has improved the appeal of RTW. It runs smoothly - which is a big bonus. Still can't use "huge" armies, though.

I'm playing Lusted's Terrae Expugnandae, by the way, and getting that familiar old school feel of both MTW and Shogun.

Being relatively new to RTW, I'm zipping around trying to find solutions to problems that must have been sorted out on previous threads.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Empire crashes my PC, and to be honest I didn't like it much anyway. So, back to RTW and BI for the meantime, may do a bit of EB during the summer holidays...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Yeah i know what you mean about etw crashing on you. And my computer couldn't reasonably handle it. Meaning that i would have to auto calc every battle and the campaign map would take ages to do. I know that rtw has its flaws but thats where the mods come in. I mean i recently came back from mods like rtr and eb and vanilla feels like a brand new game. I can also mod a little on my own (armies, ai tendencies, units, province ownership, etc.) so there is always something new to do. I'm not a fanatic but i miss all the chatter that used to be on this forum even if i wasn't the most active member (points to number of posts)

I still like RTW. It is the only game I play on a regular basis.

But I am so busy working on my mod that I rarely have time to do much more than glance through the four RTW forums I regularly haunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Furze View Post
    I'm playing Lusted's Terrae Expugnandae, by the way, and getting that familiar old school feel of both MTW and Shogun..
    Give a look at Divus' facelift of TE, you can find out more about it here
    Last edited by SubRosa; 04-19-2009 at 03:14.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

Yeah i know what you mean i know loads of folks that still play the game, but still numbers have been lost. *sigh* by the way subrosa what mod are you working on???
    Last edited by Centurion1; 04-19-2009 at 03:18.

I think most RTW folks are over at TWC is all. Most of the people here at the Guild seem to be in the other game forums, because I always see a pile of names signed in when I go to the front page. They must be somewhere.

Click on the link in my sig to see what I am working on.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    I still like RTW. It is the only game I play on a regular basis.
    Same here.

I stil play RTW because, firstly my computer cannot play M2TW, and secondly, I'm way more fascinated by classical antiquity than medieval or Renaissance history.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

I still like RTW.

I just don’t have any time to play any Total War games recently, exams and all that. Will get Empire around June-July, hopefully it will be as good as some people say it is.

It’s not just the Coliseum that’s been rather empty these days – the Citadel is faring little better. Also the Shogun and Medieval areas are all quite empty, guess it’s the destiny for these old games, there nothing we can do about it unfortunately.

I got bored with ETW little over a week ago so went back to RTW, wich is and always will be my all time favourite.
    The only possible reason for me to stop playing is if the good people of CA would choose to make RTW II.
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

I still like it, hell I think Rome and Empire Total War are the greatest...

Thing is, work and College is the major time sucker.

If there is a remake of Rome Total War, I will literally know what "Love" means.

I still prefer RTW over M2TW; probably because of RTW's interface. M2TW's interface appears odd to me, in particular the way they prevent all the traits from being seen. also I think moving units around in battle mode in RTW seems smoother than m2tw, but that's probably because I started playing RTW before M2TW.
    my computer can't run ETW though
    I've yet to install any mods, I think I'll go over to the other subforum to see what mods are available.
    BtSH - Quaestor Appius Aemilius Lepidus

I stole it from a stupid Iceni Member Shieldmaiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quirinus View Post
    I'm way more fascinated by classical antiquity than medieval or Renaissance history.
    Ditto.

Though I'm going to get M2TW again, variety is nice

ETW doesn't interest me at all.
    "Now, once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what was and the dream of what could be..."

- King Arthur, Excalibur

Thanks, SubRosa. That's a nice site.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Yeah the classical setting of Rome to me is far more interesting than the other titles by CA. Yeah there are still a bunch of people on the org they just moved up to games like m2tw (which i never really felt) and etw (not really feeling that as well)

Been there, conquered that.... Member Darkvicer98's Avatar

It seems many people still like and prefer RTW. I like RTW and M2TW, haven't played ETW properly yet. M2TW battle interface is different to RTW's and RTW seems perfect in many ways.

I am interested in history from a wide range so M2TW, ETW and RTW all appeal to me in different ways.

Cry HAVOC and let slip the dogs of War!

A brave man may fall,but he cannot yield-Latin Proverb

Arms keep peace-Latin Proverb

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Two things that put me off Rome is the clone armies and the squlor, apart from that its about as good as it can possible get for a game made in that age.

The biggest thing that interests me in Empire is the improved AI and diplomacy, which again were disappointments in both Rome and Medieval II.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm still playing Rome or some of it's mods(EB or XGM) when I have time.

Quintus - ETW also have clone armies as far as I can tell! Also, squalor isn't much of a problem when you tweak edb file a little bit.

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

I haven't played R:TW in ages as opposed to M2:TW but whenever I'm playing M2:TW I always think before... hmmm... could be playing R:TW instead.

I think orgahs now dont go onto the individual forums for the games, but instead on the others, like the front room, the monastery etc. The most popular is still E:TW obviously, but it only gets like 9 people reading at a time.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

I have been an MTW player for quite some time, and have only just recently acquired RTW.

While I have not yet progressed very far with it, I am quite enjoying it thus far....

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Like Bampf and Tony I have realively recently come to RTW from MTW. Overall I am enjoying it as it is a challenge to master the game - especially the squalor side of things. In particular I like the fact that you can use your armies on a grand tactical way - something you can't reallly do in MTW. An army can be left to guard a river crossing or mountain pass - that sort of thing. In my current egyptian campaign a smallish army of spears and cavalry defended a river crossing against a succession of Seleucid attacks wiping them out one by one. They probably have been the basis of breaking the military might of the Selucids by themselves. I have to say the AI is not the brightest - in this instance all armies used the same approach attack over one ford and ignore the other - so my spears slaughted them as they clambered out of the river while my cavalry went over the other ford and came up behind the Selucids.
    The town micro management is a bit frustrating but I am getting better. You certainly can not blitz like you could in MTW - I always thought that once I got past about move 15 in MTW I was not going to loose, while in RTW it always feels in doubt.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Member Member Lord Dazed & Confused's Avatar

Yeah still playing Rome based mods, Roma Surrectum, can't wait for RS2, Viking Invasion 2 for BI which is the best mod I've ever played, if you liked Viking Invasion I would recomend it, also SPQR, IB7& lusted's TE
    So yes I still like Rome
    LDC

I love RTW over all the others. Its just a brilliant game

After playing a bit of ETW I went back to Rome because I'm just in the mood for it. I even registered to this forum to get a couple of questions that I never asked answered. I'm having a blast playing as Armenia right now.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Does anyone like RTW anymore

For me, RTW has more eyecandy and less substance than some of the others in the TW series. So once the coolness of watching my onagers and archers burn a city to the ground, or my elephants trample cohorts wore off, all the the things I don't like about RTW started to creep in and now it sits on the shelf collecting dust.......
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 04-23-2009 at 22:54.
    High Plains Drifter

I went back to RTW this week, from a stint of M2:tw and EB... mainly because EB, which I love, just doesn't run properly on my lap-top beyond "normal" unit size and any roman game crashes around 247 bce (and EB is kinda fiddly too, though it's rather nice to be able to recruit all 3 heavy infantry types the romans used right from the get-go). I'm going to lay-off EB till I get a new, up-to-date laptop (should take me half a year of saving-up)... oh, but then I'll first go for Empire off course, played on my brothers laptop and it's rather neat. If you think it's a hassle to do all that stuff, try europa barbarorum, there's so much to take into account when you play that game... and then there's the crazy people who try to do it historically accurate too. with the romans, that means a sloooow progression. in RTW it would mean doing nothing for half a century if you're the scipii, even longer with the other two families.

I like RTW for it's deceptive simplicity and tactical movement and the variety in troops and factions, even though some are not historically accurate, and I've always been fond of classical history. the only fault I find with vanilla rome is that the celtic warbands do not throw javelins before they charge (as they should)
    Last edited by Master Young Phoenix; 04-25-2009 at 10:03.

If you want a gaming rig, do not get a laptop. Put your money into a desktop. You will get a bigger, better monitor, better video card, better everything. Plus you can upgrade in the future.

Just started playing RTW again.

Glenn sang the praises of EB on another forum here so I gave it a look. Atmosphere!

I love EB despite it still having many of the flaws of RTW...pretty much all the hard code stuff.

MTW still my all-time fav, but EB is the game I'm playing these days
    Ja-mata TosaInu

EB is a fun mod i also enjoyed Roma Surrectum, Rome Total Realism, SPQR, and for BI i enjoyed viking invasion. However, i went back to RTW for a while just to reminisce about the old days (sighs remembers when he didn't know how to take automange off and only did what the advisor told him to do because he thought he would lose otherwise )

A funny story now that i remember. I have recently converted my friend to be a new fanatic to the series. About a week later we were talking and he mentioned that he conqured the entire map but he hadn't won the game. So i was like how and he said well he conquered except for the romans. And i figured he just hadn't had the civil war yet. so i was asking about what other factions he wanted to play and he was like well theres only the romans greeks and gauls right. I heard thracia get destroyed but didn't see it. so i was like what dude the maps about a million times bigger than that. AND THEN A REVELATION OCCURED, he had only been playing the TUTORIAL. And he thought that was the full game! . And the funniest part was that he was totally content with the game and still enjoyed it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    (sighs remembers when he didn't know how to take automange off and only did what the advisor told him to do because he thought he would lose otherwise )
    I went through my entire first long campaign without realizing you could retrain your troops. When my units got depleted I just merged them or disbanded them and raised new ones.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 05-06-2009 at 03:05.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast