Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice - Part Two: Horror movies [not for the faint of heart]

Default I need advice - Part Two: Horror movies [not for the faint of heart]

Hey guys!

Let's cut the small talk and just get to the subject. Next week I'm organising a party at my home, and a very interesting girl will be there as well. I've chosen to host a number of horror movies and end with "The Big Lebowski". So far, I've thought of a few films:

-Shutter [2004 Thai version]
    -Noroi - The Curse

Any suggestions?

Hateful/Hated Heir to Horror Hypes
    Hax
    This space intentionally left blank.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I need advice - Part Two: Horror movies [not for the faint of heart]

Pan's Labyrinth
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: I need advice - Part Two: Horror movies [not for the faint of heart]

is it an adult-only party? if so, id recommend the latest Friday the 13th.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

is it an adult-only party? if so, id recommend the latest Friday the 13th.
    Well, we're not adults :D, but most of us range mentally between 8 and 30. The oldest have seen 16 winters (including me)
    This space intentionally left blank.

the ring is pretty good

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Planet Terror. The ultimate party movie, it's absolutely rediculous. I haven't laughed this hard because of a movie in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBi00ZiqIv4

oh, and plenty of scary moments to come to her aid.

perfection.
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-20-2009 at 22:46.

Question Re: I need advice - Part Two: Horror movies [not for the faint of heart]

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    ...and a very interesting girl will be there as well.
    Huh. What happened to that girl you went camping with?

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Night of the Living Dead.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I still talk to my therapist about that one.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Pan's Labyrinth isn't a bad choice because it allows you to discuss a wide variety of themes depending on what you think would interest/impress her, but it's a very dark film. Shooting wounded in the head kind of dark. I loved that, perfectly realistic and appropriate IMHO, but the wife? Not so much. Keep that in mind.

The black and white original Night of the Living Dead is ideal. It's almost a period piece these days, just grungy enough to be taken seriously during the action while silly enough to laugh off afterward. That's the kind of mix you want. You can (Or could just a few days ago) buy it off iTunes for $4.99 as well if you're set up that way.

I would also recommend Hot Fuzz as a good mix of funny and violent. Bonus here is the actors are British shlubs so they'll all make you look attractive by comparison. Some laughs, some shocks, some average looking blokes... it's a win as a date movie.

Blog Entries

Event Horizon Sci-Fi Horror that beats the pants off the Aliens or AvP series and has a pretty good cast/plot. Not the best Horror movie out there, but its a good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizashi View Post
    Event Horizon Sci-Fi Horror that beats the pants off the Aliens or AvP series and has a pretty good cast/plot. Not the best Horror movie out there, but its a good watch.
    Jeez. Are you serious? That's one of the WORST movies I have ever seen. The script is absolutley horrible (in a bad way) and the dialoges are flat as the pampa.

Good horror movies. 28 days later wasn't too bad. Dawn of the dead (remake) was cool in a sense that the ending qwas quite disturbing. Shining was cool, in a unique way.
    But besides that, most movies I've seen, well I just couldn't take em serious. I've seen a lot of good horrormovies, but I just can't take em serious. Like "From dusk till dawn". Brilliant movie, but not a good horror movie.
    The ring was okay, the "movie" in the movie was brilliant, but besides that it's a silly movie. (haven't seen the jap original though).

I was told Rosemarys baby is brilliant. Though I haven't had time to watch it so far.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Shaun of the Dead. The only horror film that I can guarantee you a chick will dig.

Dude instead of watching Shutter, watch Sigaw. It's the best Filipino horror film.

A Hollywood remake is being made, and it was reviewed at a film festival to be "one of the best Asian horror remakes". The remake is titled The Echo, however I still don't know when it will be released in theaters.

Of course it will be probably be difficult for you to get a hand on Sigaw, (try surfing the web) so I also REALLY recommend The Descent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Variety columnist Adam Dawtrey
    ...When it was released in July [2005], this claustrophobic story of six women who stumble across something nasty on a caving trip got arguably the best reviews of any Brit pic this year.
    Otherwise, I haven't really seen any descent horror films. I've seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Exorcist for example, and I didn't find it very frightening.
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 04-21-2009 at 03:54.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

You people are all n00bs. You want real horror? Gigli. Or any Uwe Boll flick.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: I need advice - Part Two: Horror movies [not for the faint of heart]

Zombie Jietai / Zombie Self Defense Force

It's very bad, it looks like an amateur video. The main location's floor is protected by a tarpaulin clearly visible in the film so that the blood can't stain. All the sound effects and cgi are ridiculous. Besides that, it's really incredibly funny. The gory scenes are really gory. Plenty of headshots. The best scene is when the zombies eat one soldier alive. All the "typical Japanese" characters are totally exaggerated & really funny.

It's at the same time disgusting and ridiculous, so I think it could be quite funny for a date. Best watched in Japanese with subtitles, of course.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Ok lets see:

Asian films -For that sweet sweet touch of Asian weirdness...

i) The Ring - Japanese version ..not the silly american blonde girls running stuff...

ii) Oldboy - Korean Deliciously disturbing it will have you gouging your eyes out at the end of the film...

Zombie films - Tried and tested...

Night of the living dead - A Classic, filmed in black and white, with an ending that will puzzle you and make you wonder whether zombies will ever be as bloodthirsty as humans...

The European - Deep-culturally scary...

Delicatessen - Because we are what we eat...or is it the other way around...

Old Classics - For the connoisseur...

Frankenstein - Well what can I say. It is THE classic. A very good film...they do not make films like this anymore.

The Humorous - Because it can be frightfully funny

Young Frankenstein

Shaun of the dead - :-) <-- All I can say

The Futuristic - Because it will be scarier in a few years

Alien - A true classic.

The Post Apocalyptic - Not really horror but...

Mad Max - The original one. A great film. Make sure you do not get the one where the voices are dubbed in 'american'

So there you go :) Pick and mix...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Hey guys!

Let's cut the small talk and just get to the subject. Next week I'm organising a party at my home, and a very interesting girl will be there as well. I've chosen to host a number of horror movies and end with "The Big Lebowski". So far, I've thought of a few films:

-Shutter [2004 Thai version]
    -Noroi - The Curse

Any suggestions?

Hateful/Hated Heir to Horror Hypes
    Hax
    The Eye might impress the girl more than Shutter. Make sure you're next to her during the scene in the lift.

Ok some more.

The only horror film that I can guarantee you a chick will dig.

let's not forget about:
    The Descent, chick-flick with a bodycount.

Ok some more.

Evil Dead II, it's absolutely terrible in the best possible way.
    Mirrors, asian style horror movie, pretty damn scary.
    Doomsday, yay for humanity is screwed movies.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Evil Dead. So bad it's funny.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    let's not forget about:
    The Descent, chick-flick with a bodycount.
    Yeah, it's not exactly a good film, but somehow it becomes a great one. I can't explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Doomsday, yay for humanity is screwed movies.
    Same director as The Descent. Absolutely not a good movie. If he had picked a single film to pay tribute to, it would have been fine, but instead it's doing a different genre every ten minutes. Too confusing, too random. It does feature one of the best cute little bunny shootings of all time, however.
    Last edited by Lemur; 04-21-2009 at 15:30.

I liked Doomsday, it's rather silly of course but I don't get the feeling it was supposed to be a good movie, perfect for party screams&laughs. You seen Planet Terror by the way? I am positively sure that you will enjoy it, it doesn't get anymore silly then this, check out the trailer I posted earlier.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Eye might impress the girl more than Shutter. Make sure you're next to her during the scene in the lift.
    That was funnier than scary.

The Ring was a creepy film, when I turned the TV off I was expecting the static to come blaring on.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

The Eurovision Song Contest
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    The Ring was a creepy film, when I turned the TV off I was expecting the static to come blaring on.
    Good japanese horror indeed, the problem with japanese horror is that just about every scene has a cheap scare, especially in the Eye. The Ring is great, slower and true mystery, and we all know what scene those who know are talking about.

Another one, I am a bit shy recommending it because it seems to be a love it/hate it movie, and some people on your party probably wouldn't be able to shut-up while watching it, ruining the experience for those that 'get' it; "The Blair Witch Project", I can honestly say that it's the scariest movie I have ever seen.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    The Eurovision Song Contest
    LMAO This is so true. Just imagine someone tied up 'a la Clockwork Orange' and being forced to watch the Eurovision...makes me shiver...

Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Dead Calm is a decent horror film, but don't expect to get any tail afterwards. Open Water is also very good and is less likely to quash female hormones. There's something about being alone in the ocean that is very frightening.

It's also pretty hard to beat the original Alien.
    Last edited by TinCow; 04-21-2009 at 20:06.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fido is a fun comedic zombie movie, and a bit less well known.

Also, I'll warn ya that scenes of intestines being ripped out of a man - ala Shaun o the dead - can be off putting for the fairer sex. But if it's a horror movie marathon, people should be prepared.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try a Spanish? films called Rec.

Its a zombie film done in similer style to Cloverfield. Except its not too wobbly.
    Its slow for the first 10 min or so. But it starts to get intense afterwords.

Also, do get a English Subtitle. It sucks if you can't understand a single word of Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Try From Dusk Till Dawn, a funny horror with cool music and George Clooney(for the girls).

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    Try a Spanish film called Rec.
    Outstanding horror film. Really fun, really good. The best first-person camera horror I've yet seen.

If you're willing to do a little looking around, also consider a trippy little indie horror film called The Signal. Filmed for next to nothing in Atlanta, but it looks like a major studio release. Clearly they had people who knew lighting, sound and cinematography.

Premise: A weird audio and video signal goes out on every radio, TV and phone, and half of the people in the city start killing. The other half either die or fight. Or maybe it's the other way around? Maybe the people who think they haven't been affected by the signal are just as insane as the people they are fighting. Great little horror flick.

Oooh, found the trailer. Might be hard to find on DVD, but worth it.

Contains one of the best one-liners in the history of horror films: "Excuse me? Excuse me? Um, do you have the crazy?"
    Last edited by Lemur; 04-22-2009 at 04:48.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast