Meditate that this came about:
    I commend these words to you.
    Carve them in your hearts
    At home, in the street,
    Going to bed, rising;
    Repeat them to your children,
    Or may your house fall apart,
    May illness impede you,
    May your children turn their faces from you.

Primo Levi

The shame of Europe.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Default Re: memories

May it never be repeated..

I don't have a fancy poem at hand but let me just say my heart bleeds for all the holocaust victims and all those who survived the evil to tell the tale...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

The tragedy of human savagery.

Let us hope humanity is done walking down these horrible paths of hate and destruction. I know it may seem a bit out of place but if your going to take some time out of your daily life to remember the holocaust, also take that time to remember the numerous other genocides of the previous century. Let us never repeat it.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    The tragedy of human savagery.

Let us hope humanity is done walking down these horrible paths of hate and destruction. I know it may seem a bit out of place but if your going to take some time out of your daily life to remember the holocaust, also take that time to remember the numerous other genocides of the previous century. Let us never repeat it.
    If I may, I think that the Holocaust should serve as a lesson to us. It is great to hope that something like it will not happen again, but before Hitler seized power, I am sure few thought it could happen at all. People are stupid (all of us) and pretty easily manipulated when they are desperate or when they are too comfortable, and there will always be hateful people and opportunists out there. I think the suffering of Holocaust victims should serve as a warning to us to better guard our future, and be smarter than we have been.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by peverblue View Post
    If I may, I think that the Holocaust should serve as a lesson to us. It is great to hope that something like it will not happen again, but before Hitler seized power, I am sure few thought it could happen at all. People are stupid (all of us) and pretty easily manipulated when they are desperate or when they are too comfortable, and there will always be hateful people and opportunists out there. I think the suffering of Holocaust victims should serve as a warning to us to better guard our future, and be smarter than we have been.

Exactly. Hopefully we as human beings can process that the previous century can't happen again. So much suffering..

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

The real tragedy of the Holocaust isn't just that it happened, but how it happened and why it happened. We all like to villify the Nazis and think "Thank God, those nasty creatures are gone. We'll never let them come to power again". Ditto for Stalinists or the Khmer Rouge or whatever boogeyman upon which we wish to project our darker selves. But whenever I delve into the various genocides of the past century, I'm struck not by the magnamity of the crimes, but by the intimacy of them.

Citing the Shoah as a specific example because I am much more familiar with it, not because it is somehow more atrocious or 'worse' than the others:

The Nazis didn't just erupt from the bowels of hell like Saruman's Uruk Hai. Despite how desparately we need for this to be true so that we can live with ourselves, it never will be. Never. It was a crime we perpetrated upon ourselves.

It was the newspaper boy, all grown up with his pretty brown shirt, that dragged off the 8-year old girl and her parents off to the train station to be loaded into the cattle car. He knew them because he delivered their paper, and at Christmas, they gave him a tip, even though they were Jewish.

It was the piano teacher, hired into her new role as KZ matron, who tore her former pupil from his beseeching mother's arms and hauled him off to meet his fate in a chlorine shower.

It was the handyman, who once sought odd jobs from the middle class eldrly couple down the street, that broke their skulls open with his baton, gleefully watching their life end before his very eyes, their faces upturned in uncomprehending fear, pain and betrayal....

And it was the collective "not my problem, I'm not a Jew" or "not a Pole" or "not a gypsy" that allowed the rest of us to turn a blind eye when anyone with half a brain knew exactly what was going on after November 9th, 1938.

It is our lack of ability to empathize with the rest of mankind that is the real tragedy that virtually guarantees in one form or another, they'll be repeated.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 04-21-2009 at 21:27.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

True story: When I was working in Chicago, I would drive past a large synagogue every day. For one week they had a big sign up that read: "Never again is now." Unfortunately for the congregation, there are two ways to read that sentence ....

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    True story: When I was working in Chicago, I would drive past a large synagogue every day. For one week they had a big sign up that read: "Never again is now." Unfortunately for the congregation, there are two ways to read that sentence ....
    i dont get it.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    i dont get it.
    It all depends on what we collectively do.

"Never again is right now" can mean that it stops, from this moment, forever more.

or, it can mean that it will happen again, right now.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

ah. now i get it.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Let us all draw lessons from this horrible thing: let us, as the human race raise ourselves from such things as racism, antisemitism and fascism.
    This space intentionally left blank.

with such being said, we must now fight to end not only denial of the Holocaust, but also racism and we must raise awareness for the other genocides that are going on, like in Dafur.
    has everyone here seen "Freedom Writers"? great movie and i recommend it.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 04-21-2009 at 21:24.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

with such being said, we must now fight to end not only denial of the Holocaust, but also racism and we must raise awareness for the other genocides that are going on, like in Dafur.
    has everyone here seen "Freedom Writers"? great movie and i recommend it.
    Nevermind genocides; religious or ethnic intolerance should be stopped altogether; whether you are Islamic, Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, black, white, Asian, people should try to tolerate eachother. We all live on the same planet

ah, thoughts like those are but dreams....
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Was not the idea of a seperate Jewish state about 200/300 years ago? Or a black president of the United States 50 years ago?
    Last edited by Hax; 04-21-2009 at 21:32.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Remember the crime and honour the ones who fight against it.

Yes, Nazism was rooted in a more "common" ant-semitism, in a basic level racism against all what is out-normatives, as Gypsies, homo-sexuals, retarded or others differences, in skins, religions and ideas.
    But not all the population fall for it.
    Even in Germany, Hitler did need a coup to take full power.

Never again is difficult.
    If it happened far, if it concerend others continents, if it affect populations we can't link with, well it happens.

However, the Hollocaust, as a extermination process towards mainly the Jews, but aswell towards the Gysies and the Slavic populations, was a precedent and a specific process.
    The industrialisation of the process, the Taylorisation (in term of process), the planification are very specific to it.

Long years ago, as a soldier, I went to a ceremony in France to commemorate the liberation of a concentration camp in France, the Struthof. It was a "small" camp, built to garentee the obedience of the Alsacians who were deserting in mass, and as well to liquidate the usual enemies of the Reich.
    It was breath taking. To see the reality, to see the walls, the baracks and the gaz chambers and the landscape was a shock.
    I had the same kind when I visited Oradour sur Glane, a village kept how the 2nd SS Division Das Reich left it.
    To touch the reality of evil is something we have to do.

Remember that the men and women who did it were humans. So it can happened again.
    Remember that the women and men who resisted it were humans. So it can be done again.
    Last edited by Brenus; 04-21-2009 at 21:44. Reason: sp
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

The first verse of the "Dachaulied," the Dachau song (J. Soyfer & H. Zipper):

Stacheldraht, mit Tod geladen,
    ist um unsre Welt gespannt.
    Drauf ein Himmel ohne Gnaden
    sendet Frost und Sonnenbrand.
    Fern von uns sind alle Freuden,
    fern die Heimat, fern die Fraun,
    wenn wir stumm zur Arbeit schreiten,
    Tausende im Morgengraun.
    Doch wir haben die Losung von Dachau gelernt
    und wurden stahlhart dabei:
    Sei ein Mann, Kamerad,
    bleib ein Mensch, Kamerad,
    mach ganze Arbeit, pack an, Kamerad,
    denn Arbeit, Arbeit macht frei!

Barbed wire, loaded with death
    is drawn around our world.
    Above a sky without mercy
    sends frost and sunburn.
    Far from us are all joys,
    far away our home, far away our wives,
    when we march to work in silence
    thousands of us at the break of day.
    But we have learned the motto of Dachau
    and it made us as hard as steel:
    Be a man, mate,
    stay a man, mate,
    do a good job, get to it, mate,
    for work, work makes you free!

Most Germans were not and are not monsters. Most people are not monsters, make decent neighbors, and worry about their families and getting through the week -- just like you. In each of us lurks, however, the potential for evil. We must not forget this, and we must never rest in seeking to curtail that potential.

My prayers for all those victims of the Holacaust, for all those who a haunted by it to this day, and for all those who suffer in the continuing eddies washing out from this moment of evil.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 04-21-2009 at 21:39.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    Never again is difficult.
    I would say it's impossible, given how human beings are. Genocide will be with us for a long, long time. Not trying to be a downer, but I don't see any evidence that we have the will, the tools or the guts to stop every round of ethnic cleansing that takes place. Note the world's overwhelming passivity in Darfur. Note the ease with which Rwandans drove out U.N. peacekeepers so that they could reach the full flower of Hutu Power.

I'm sorry, but "never again" is a slogan, nothing more. I'm glad people think about genocide, and I'm happy so many want to see it ended. But it ain't gonna be in my lifetime, and probably not in my son's.

Remember the crime and honour the ones who fight against it.
    Of course, we must think to what degree we should honour those people. There is this case of a Dutch woman in the Dutch resistance who shot a police officer that worked for the Nazi's (actually, he was just a part of the Dutch police corps and continued his duty when the Nazi's took over the country). Is this justified? As far as I know, it was she who attacked the officer, not the other way around.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Is this justified?
    yep called treason

Happy holocaust day

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

oh damn ya

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post
    Happy holocaust day
    That is sooo Tribes...
    Who else could say something like that and not have the entire community disgusted with him and flaming him? :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Remember
    For the evils of the past, may never condone the evils of the present.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

May this travesty never happen again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post
    Happy holocaust day
    I smiled. Now I feel bad... Thanks Tribes...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    May this travesty never happen again.

I smiled. Now I feel bad... Thanks Tribes...
    Why? We remeber dead people all the time. We make jokes about the dead all the time. Or more specificly we make jokes about people who use the dead as an agenda to further modern political goals of which the names he is invoking probably could give a hoot about said political goals.

I'm not trying to cheapean the holocuast by any means but I find it odd we choose to guilt ourselves over this one instance of blood while many more Russians and Chineese civilians were killed some just as brutally. I would also say that the Germans and the Japs deffinitly had the same feelings about the slavs and the Chineese they were deffintly sub-human to.

I mean you can bring up the "industrialzation" of the killings to but by the end of the war America could wipe cities off the face of the Earth with 1 bomb. Pretty dang industrial.

I realize this post is a breach of tact and I apologize but I had something on my mind.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

I'm not trying to cheapean the holocuast by any means but I find it odd we choose to guilt ourselves over this one instance of blood while many more Russians and Chineese civilians were killed some just as brutally. I would also say that the Germans and the Japs deffinitly had the same feelings about the slavs and the Chineese they were deffintly sub-human to.
    Not to mention the treatment of Japanese-American civilians during World War II

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Not to mention the treatment of Japanese-American civilians during World War II
    Now this comparison is cheapening the Holocaust.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast