Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Current Status of Monarchism.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Default The Current Status of Monarchism.

Can any of our non-US members tell me on how the various monarchist groups are doing in their respective countries? Monarchist movements interest me in their political ideas.

For example, the Austrian Black and Yellow Alliance supports a democratic monarchy, but with a twist. Since a Hapsburg monarch would not fit in well with just Austria, they propose a confederation of the former countries in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, all under a united parliament, but still retain local sovereignty (Think U.S. States) while the Emperor would be their sovereign (Think British monarch in countries like Canada, Australia).

I, for one, find the idea of a democratic monarchy interesting. A monarch lies with no specific party, as oppossed to a president for example, and is supposed to represent his or her country's people. A monarch is a figure that all people of a nation can rally behind.

So, international Orgahs, what has happened with the monarchist movements in your countries?
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: The Current Status of Monarchism.

The cool thing about constitutional monarchy is that your steel mills, textile mills, mines and steam docks don't give negative contentment penalties anymore. For this reason alone I am prepared to nominate Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes to become our figureheads of state.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    The cool thing about constitutional monarchy is that your steel mills, textile mills, mines and steam docks don't give negative contentment penalties anymore. For this reason alone I am prepared to nominate Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes to become our figureheads of state.
    Brangelina! Brangelina! Brangelina!
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

So, international Orgahs, what has happened with the monarchist movements in your countries?
    It ended rather suddenly in 1649. The King had a haircut and all was lost.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I wish there was monarchist movement but they keep sitting
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-23-2009 at 07:09.

Our monarchists over here are somewhat strange .
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...le-320497.html

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I wish our Republican election hadn't been rigged so that I could honestly say I didn't live under a Monarchy now...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    I wish our Republican election hadn't been rigged so that I could honestly say I didn't live under a Monarchy now...
    I sympathize, I really do. About the only thing that stays my republican hand is the prospect of a President Blair or Brown or god forbid Mandelson. Just look at the characters the French and Americans have had recently as their head of state. It make one's blood run cold, what, what.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

We dont have any. Atleast as an official movement. So i guess they are doing fine and dandy as they do not exist.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Just to be serious for a minute, I'll attempt to answer the OP.

I don't know about the other constitutional monarchies in Europe and beyond but there isn't a Monarchy Movement in the UK. The whole point is that it's apolitical. Yes there are people in the UK that adore the queen but it's not organized in any way.

Brenda's a figurehead. Nothing more nothing less. I have more real political power than her. I get to vote. She is effectively told what to do by her ministers. A rubber stamp tis all she is. Things might change when Arthur inherits the Imperial Crown of State as he's got a bit of a big gob.

I expect that the reaon the monarchy is still going on in the U.K is because we are all so bloody gloomy, a President would cost more and he might be NU-LAB.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : The Current Status of Monarchism.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlXII View Post
    They seem to have lost their heads...

Quote Originally Posted by IA
    About the only thing that stays my republican hand is the prospect of a President Blair or Brown or god forbid Mandelson. Just look at the characters the French and Americans have had recently as their head of state. It make one's blood run cold, what, what
    A French/US presidential model is not the only alternative to a hereditary head of state. What's more, contrary to monarchist scaremongering, this model is so alien to British/Australian customs that it is the least likely replacement for hereditary monarchy.

Giorgio Napolitano and Horst Köhler are the current presidents of Italy and Germany. People have never heard of them because they fulfill only the ceremonial powers of head of state. This model, I think, would best suit the political parliamentary traditions of the UK, Canada, Australia.

One can go one further too: Switzerland has a Conseil fédéral. This council of seven people functions collectively as head of state.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Oh I know that Louis, Ireland also springs to mind. Somehow though I get the feeling that Mssrs. Blair/Brown/Cameron et al would see this as too good an opportunity to let pass.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

History of Monarchism in Greece.

We created democracy. We do not have kings. Some bloody foreign German-Dutch inbred people tried to convince us otherwise and became our monarchy for a while. We sent them to live in London and good riddance to them. They can now inbreed peacefully and grow their tails as long as they like.

It is mostly a group of old men with Altzheimer's although not all of them really count because some probably think there is still a king...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: The Current Status of Monarchism.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Oh I know that Louis, Ireland also springs to mind. Somehow though I get the feeling that Mssrs. Blair/Brown/Cameron et al would see this as too good an opportunity to let pass.
    They would too, wouldn't they? Cheeky bastards.

Oh well. Always remember: no matter how insane the UK, one needs only to cross the channel to go one worse. Your PM's dream of presidency. Our presidents dream of being monarchs.

Little Sun Kings, the lot of them. They get away with it too. What's more, they are expected to. With the exception of Sarkozy, French presidents are of a very tall physical stature. Aloof of character. Refined, even affected, in manners. Building Grand Works in Paris to leave a physical mark. (Not that I mind the last, but it is 'doggy syndrome')

Fun fact: De Gaulle, Giscard d'Estaing, Mitterand, Sarkozy are all nobility, or have a major noble element in their family line. That's right, France prefers to elect noblemen to the throne. Uh, I mean, to the presidency.
    Pompidou and Chirac are the only elected presidents of the Fifth Republic of overwhelming bourgeois origin.

Ireland also springs to mind
    Ireland. I forgot about them. I simply can't keep up with all this devolution in Britain.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Since they've had de facto independence since 1922 I understand how hard it is to keep up.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Not much a movement here, support dropped to about 62% though.

The main party in power for about 70% of the time (Social democrats) have the abolishment of monarchy in their party program. They never touch that issue.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bulgaria:

Titular Tzar: Simeon II Saxe-Coburg Gotha . Born 1937. Ruled between 1943-1946 (he was minor then). Prime Minister (the first ex-monarch to become a Prime-Minister) between 2001-2005. His political party still participates in the ruling coalition (2005-2009) but has lost much of its sympathisers. There are even rumours it will not enter in the next Parliament.

Even between 2001-2005 the idea of restoring the monarchy was not seriously commented. Many Bulgarians were sceptic towards changing of the consitution and restoring the monarchy.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 04-23-2009 at 18:05.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

The US had a monarch once.

I, for one, fondly miss Emperor Norton. He was a pretty cool guy.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    The US had a monarch once.

I, for one, fondly miss Emperor Norton. He was a pretty cool guy.
    Never heard about it...
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

It's true, and he was a good king. As a judge ruled when he was arrested for the crime of lunacy: "Norton has shed no blood, robbed no one, and despoiled no country, which is more than can be said for most fellows in the king line."

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Ours decided to run to Britain. Apparently, it was cool to be a monarch there and people here wanted to kill him (who said that communists were all bad?). They've even given him a room in the hotel in London. Now the bastard wants to be a king again and he can't even speak Serbian properly. He's down here trying to speak Serbian with an Oxford accent and everyone's going "what the **** is he saying???" - "Wait, I think I understand some words. Baby Jesus... trees... blood... last emperor of China... Masai warriors... Oh, I give up!"

According to some polls a few years ago, about 5% of the people would want Serbia to be a monarchy again.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

"Sarkozy": Hungarian one. Doesn't count...
    "He's down here trying to speak Serbian" Apparently mine is evenbetter than his... Can I apply for the job? I even probably lived longer in Serbia. I was there when it was still Jugoslavija the Federation one...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Liz is doing just fine in Britain.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Liz is doing great, and Norton was a very cool guy.

Our king is bound and gagged, and everyone is quite happy that way.

Nobody really wants to abolish him, except on a principal basis, but nobody wants him to ever say anything either. And since he can't legally talk, we're doing fine....

His daughter and her husband, on the other hand....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Commie bastards forced the Romanian Royal Family away.

My repulsion for communism cannot be even measured. And yes, I am a monarchist.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the problem is that too many people don't have a queen like this.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

So true Shinseikhaan.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Coincidentally I was at a debate about the future of the monarchy today. Where one of the debaters presented som statistics.

In favour of the monarchy 66%, republicans 22 %. The percentage of republicans is almost the same as the percentage of votes against the monarchy in 1905. The support of the monarchy has risen some after a low-point in the late 90's.

What is interesting is a shift in who supports republicanism. Before republicans were more a rural phenonomen. But now the typical republican is a male, 40-60, with a high income, urban dweller and has a university education. Ie the elite in society.

(The typical, royalist is a female 60+ , low income, little education, and from the countryside.)

That the monarchy has lost some of its fundation can also be illustrated that the newspaper that has traditionally been the strongest supporter of the monarchy, (Aftenposten), has all but abandoned its covarage of the royal family and its program of duties.

The debaters made some "predictions" about the future of the monarchy. The royalist in the panel predicted the end of the monarchy in 2063, when the princess would have accended the throne if her father lives as long or longer than the rest of the family, he predicted that it would end in this year if the princess arrives at the conclusion that a life in a glass cage isn't for her.

And that was basically the conclusion of one of the other debaters, that it would either end because the publics opinin changed enough in favour of a republic (seeing as socity's elite is more republican than other people) or that the children decide that they want to live a normal life.

The current status of the monarchy in Norway is that a majority is in favour of it, but that it is unlikely that we are still a monarchy in 2100.

To HoreTore
    His daughter and her husband, on the other hand....
    Hehe, one of the debaters were Carl-Erik Grimstad, who argued with Ari in January, and he really dislikes him, he would not even utter his name...

He showed a picture of him and basically painted his as an antichrist who is the complete opposite of what the royal house is supposed to represent (dignity)..
    Patience is the companion of wisdom.
    --St. Augustine

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast