Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HRE campaign focus points

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Default Re: HRE campaign focus points

Sicily for me please. I'd be interested in your initial approach.

Senior Member Senior Member gaijinalways's Avatar

Well, let me think about it. Those factions mentioned I have never played, and I always start in early (I like longer games I guess)). I am still very curious about playing as a Muslim. I do remember a long time ago a few aborted Egyptian and Turkish starts, but can't remember specifically what went wrong. Have you played all the factions in campaigns yet?

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijinalways View Post
    Decision time

I'm wondering now, for a new campaign, the Sicilians, Hungarians, Polish, Egyptians, or the Turkish?

Let me know what you think. That HRE campaign was blast!
    Well if you want a real challenge, go with the Poles. Their starting position can be a real struggle, as they have no natural defenses/frontiers, and expansion will almost inevitably bring them into conflict with the Danes, HRE, and/or Hungarians.

The Turks can also be very tough if you don't take out the Egyptians early on (taking on the Byz right away tends to be suicide!). In fact, you almost have to wipe out the Eggies first, because otherwise you'll probably never have the economic/tech base necessary to engage the Byzantines later on. Even then, the Empire tends to still put up one hell of a fight, especially with their uber-princes commanding armies of katanks, BI, etc.

The Egyptians are a lot of fun, if maybe a bit too easy. They have a varied unit roster, and their provinces (in particular, Egypt, Tripoli, & Antioch) can bring in enormous amounts of cash, especially if you get some sea trade going.

Similarly, playing as the Sicilians pretty much dictates that you establish a sprawling trading empire. Aside from the very healthy income you'll get from having your ships trawling around the Med, you can also choose to launch seaborne invasions just about anywhere....which tends to give a Sicilian player the advantage in launching Crusades to the Holy Land.

I've not played the Huns that much, so I can't really comment on them. I don't think I've ever really gotten a handle on their unit roster, which seems to be a hodge-podge mix of western and eastern European troops. Could be interesting to see a campaign as them.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

The Poles would be fun for me, since I'm half Polish. Also after finishing the HRE campaign, it was a challenge, especially in the beginning trying to decide what to keep, and what to concede at times.

Of course, what's challenging also depends on your style of play. I actually found the Danes pretty easy, and I strolled along for a long time with a small empire.

I'm still thinking about it, probably take a MTW break while I take care of things at home and work.

Member Member Knight of the Rose's Avatar

Personally I like to swing between a regular catholic faction for the heavy armoured but slow troops to the whirlwind fast muslim armies that need to be in the right spot to do anything.

So I'd take the Turks, and try to knock out the Byz immediately, just for the challenge. I prefer to play High, but early can be fun enough, as there will also be passing crusades - or even crusades aimed at you! - to worry about.

And thanks for running us through the campaign, good notes on what to do's and all the serious campaign questions that we all run into.

/KotR

I noticed I can't do the Sicilians (I'm playing vanilla MTW) so I actually started a fast play with the Polish (I promise, the Turks are next). Had one quick run through where I took over Pomerania and with a rebellion chance of 5%, the next turn I had 5000 againist my small army of 200 something. Even though it was mostly peasants and fanatics, I went down in utter defeat. Then when I got the ransom screen, not thinking about it, I refused, and watched the fade out screen come as I had just signed the death warrant on my only heir!

I tried another time, not bothering to save and flew through a few years building up a nice income from farming on my properties. Took Pomerania, bribed Sweden, everything was fine.

I forgot about the Danish for a while and perhaps got lulled into thinking I didn't need to build up a bigger deterrent army. Or I should have bribed Norway as well, and just moved the troops there to Sweden.

The Danes soon got big ideas and invaded. Couldn't quite pull it off as my peasant general flinched first when faced with the Danish king's might. If I could have taken Saxony earlier, I could have attacked Denmark and probably taken it or weakened it enough, but the HRE, who I didn't want to risk a battle with, were holed up there in Saxony.

Oh well, third time I'm sure will be the charm, and a little bit slower at that, might even save every other year, which is my usual, instead of going some 10 or more at a run.

I love this game, and I play it off and on. With my Thief II CD literally going to pieces, and not having figured out how to make more money with the current economy, I need MTW play to keep my sanity (what little I have left, that is). Some of you guys are more familiar with a lot of little tricks in this game, but I certainly know some ways to manage the game, and that's what cool about it, there are many ways to hoist that victory flag. The pleasure is finding what works for you and enjoying the play!

I think an approach for the Poles is getting to the sea. Getting coastal areas Pomerania and Prussia, as well as Sweden and possibly Denmark if you can knock their RKs for a loop with your own vikings and maybe some mercs. I think this next time I need to quickly build an inn in Denmark and hope for the best (as well as bribe Norway to get extra piles of wood between the RKs and my general).

Be back soon,

GA

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Some of you guys are more familiar with a lot of little tricks in this game, but I certainly know some ways to manage the game, and that's what cool about it, there are many ways to hoist that victory flag. The pleasure is finding what works for you and enjoying the play!
    Well said. Finding your own way(s) to win is half the fun.

I think an approach for the Poles is getting to the sea. Getting coastal areas Pomerania and Prussia, as well as Sweden and possibly Denmark if you can knock their RKs for a loop with your own vikings and maybe some mercs. I think this next time I need to quickly build an inn in Denmark and hope for the best (as well as bribe Norway to get extra piles of wood between the RKs and my general).

Be back soon,

GA
    Yes, I agree that coastal access is often critical when playing as the Polish. Actually *obtaining* said coastal access can be a pain, however (as you've already noticed, Prussia & Pomerania don't stay down easy)....

Sweden is great if you can get it. It has the potential to become one of the richest trading provinces in the game, and the mine there doesn't hurt either. The problem, of course, is that the Danes will almost surely fight your for it.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12