Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sons of Elissa - An Interactive Punic AAR

Default Sons of Elissa - An Interactive Punic AAR

I just finished my current Carthaginian campaign in 208 BC with all the required territories plus most of Britain, all of Egypt and Nubia, Crete, all of west Africa, and some of Gaul. Both the remnants of Rome in Gaul and the remnants of the Ptolemaioi in the Near East are my protectorates. I was getting a bit weary of the difficulties in Britain and perhaps I will come back to this game in the future but I have been toying with the idea of a Carthaginian AAR for some time and I decided why not.

Campaign Difficulty: H/H

Format: You are all members of the Carthaginian Council of Elders. Through good advice and good roleplaying you have the chance to advance to the Inner Council, also known as the Council of 101.

Characters In Game:

Abdimilki - 65, deceased. Wife - Actaee, 60

Mago - Sophet of Carthage, in Carthage, 44. Wife - Roxane, 43, Head of his house

Hamalcar - Protege of Mago, in Lilibeo, 22. Wife - Polymede, 20, Head of his house

Bomilkar - Governor of Adrumeto, 35. Wife - Raisa, 30, Head of his house

Hasdrubal - Governor of Mastia, 21. Wife - Althaia, 19, Head of his house

Carthalo - Governor of Karali, 18, Adopted son of Mago

Hanno - Governor of Lepki, 26, Adopted Son of Mago

Gisgo - Governor of Ippone, 17, Adopted son of Mago

Annibas - Emissary of Carthage, in Zeugitania, 27

Aderbal - 14, Adopted son of Bomilkar

Himilco - 13, Adopted son of Bomilkar

Hamalcar Barca - 2, Adopted son of Hamalcar

Bisaltes - 1, Adopted son of Hasdrubal

Muttanbaal - 3, Daughter of Hasdrubal

Admirals: Thero, Danel(A), Abascantus Baecula, Danel(B)

Characters in the Thread:

Xenophanes Akragantos - 42, Agapia(20), (son) - 0

Danel Hanno - 31

Akbar the Lame - 27

Hannibal Barca - 29

Αναξαγορας of Kyrene (Anaxagoras) - 31

The campaign does not start until I have at least a few council members. After it starts anyone may join witha decent introduction. Your character should be posted with roughly the following information...

Name: Punic names involved a first name which could be a rare name such as Yehawielon, but was more frequently a common name such as Hanno, Hannibal, Hamalcar, Mago, Bostar, Hasdrubal or Gisgo. The last name was either a nickname referring to an exploit or characteristic which could be passed down to your descendants, or it was a reference to an important ancestor in your family line. For example, Hannibal son of Gisgo would be known as Hannibal Gisgo. Hanno son of Mago would be known as Hanno Mago, etc. . .

Ethnicity:
    Only Carthaginian citizens could be part of the senate at this point in time, however you may be half Qarthadastei, half something else. At this point in the campaign I'd say your options are Libyan, Liby-Phoenician, Greek, Celtic, Numidian, Sardinian, Etruscan, Sicilian, Balearic or Iberian for your non-Qarthadastim half.

Age: This way I can keep track of your character and you will age with the campaign.

A Brief description of your character such as his profession (merchant, building overseer, what have you.), possibly a wife, children, etc... and your political disposition on where Carthage should focus its efforts.

Starting Diplomacy:
    SPQR - Allies
    Epeiros - Enemies
    Lusotannon - Allies
    Aedui - Allies
    Ptolemaioi - Allies
    Syracuse - Allies (Believe it or not)
    Mammertines - Neutral
    Massylian Numidians - Neutral (But with tensions rising)
    Massaesylian Numidians - Neutral
    Mauretanians - Neutral
    Garamantines - Neutral
    Kyrene - Neutral
    Celt-Iberians - Neutral
    Arse - Neutral
    Massalia and Emporion - Neutral
    Last edited by Tanit; 04-30-2009 at 03:01.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Default Re: Sons of Elissa - An Interactive Punic AAR

YES! IM IN! Wait did you say we can be the characters who are actually in the game? If that is true, I shotty Hamalcar. Im in.

4x
    1x

This sounds interesting, I might as well give it a shoot:

Name: Xenophanes Akragantos

Ethnicity: Helleno-Qarthadastim

Description: Born in the city of Akragas (Agrementum) by a Qarthadastei merchant and a greek woman. Xenophanes did not follow his father's footsteps, but instead served as a marine in the Carthaginian navy. Xenophanes is recently married to Agapia, 20 years old, and they're expecting their first child any day now. Xenophanes believes that the future of Carthage lies in the west, in Sicilia and finally in Italy!
    Last edited by Tyrfingr; 04-24-2009 at 15:42.
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliyi View Post
    YES! IM IN! Wait did you say we can be the characters who are actually in the game? If that is true, I shotty Hamalcar. Im in.
    No, you create your own characters here.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Hmm, this seems like a well thought out AAR, there are a lot going on though. What the hell, this seems more interesting than mine, I'll play along too.

Name:Danel Hanno
    Ethnicity:Punic
    Biography:Current head of a long family line of slave traders. He believes strongly in Qarthadastei expansion as war leads to slaves, has little interest in where we actually fight as long as there are defeated peoples to be enslaved. He sells many slaves to Romani contacts, some of whom he considers friends, and will argue against anything that brings his city into conflict with Rome. Has a slight disdain for the slave traders and merchants from the Ptolemaic Empire, who he sees as effiminate sister lovers.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaertecken View Post
    Akragantos
    There

As for this Interactive AAR, let's just say I like this little "frenzy" with Interactive stories very much Good luck boys Oh, and just promise me one thing: Please, for the sake of the theoi in Olympos, wipe the filthy Romaioi off the face of the Earth. You'll do mankind a great favour

Maion
    ~Maion

Name: Akbar the lame.

Culture:Qarthadast-Numidian

Discription: Fought for Carthage when he was younger and earned his right as a citizen. Started making money off slave trade and mines in spain and got extremely rich. He has a limp from all the battles he fought.

Looking forward to starting this.

4x
    1x

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    There
    Thanks man!
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

542 Years Since Foundation

In the Council Chambers of Kart-Hadast, the new city, Mago, former envoy to the Romans and Admiral of the Punic fleet, now Magistrate Sophet of Kart-Hadast, stands to address the Council of Elders.

"Esteemed Council Members, it is with great joy that I announce the latest news from Sicily and Greece. Pyrrhos of Epeiros has forever left Sicily and made clear his intentions to focus his efforts in Greece and Macedonia. We will never again have to fear facing him in Sicily."

Mago pauses to let this information sink in, some of the Councilors cheer and applaud.

"However . . . he still maintains hostilities towards us despite the envoys from Syracuse who advocate peace between Kart-Hadast and Syracuse. We must decide how we will deal with this war footing with Epeiros. In the meantime, the state treasury wishes me to inform you that the expenses of our military and naval forces are too great for our current level of taxes to maintain. We have two choices in this regard. The first is to raise taxes where we are able to maintain our grip over the western Mediterranean. The second is to disband those vessels and soldiers we deem unecessary at the present time."

Mago is about to be seated when a messenger arrives, exhausted, and hands Mago a tablet. As Mago reads the tablet quickly the Council chambers are filled with a quite apprehension. Finally Mago finishes reading and with a grand gesture thrusts the tablet into the air in front of the Council. As he speaks his voice becomes more urgent, louder and is filled with vim and vigor.

"My dear Councilors, it seems there is yet one more matter to discuss today, scouts have spotted a large force of nomads amassing near Ippone. While they have made no advances as of yet, this is something that we must take seriously. Should they move on Ippone, and break the peace we have established with the Numidians, Ippone will be unable to defend itself!"

Finishing his speech by gazing around the assembly, looking into the heart of every Council Member, Mago sits and waits for a response.

Danel Hanno rises to speak.

Friends, the matter of the nomads does indeed sound urgent we should move to counter it immediately. If Pyrrhos is truly no threat to Sicily we should remove our forces from there to help counter the Numidian tribesmen. If our treasury cannot sustain our present forces we should indeed look to disband what is not useful, I propose we send our elephants back to the wild. They are little more than an exercise in vanity, against skirmishing horsemen like the Numidians they would be more of a hindrance than a help. We have a large cavalry force, yes? This should be our defence against the nomads.
    I say all we need to keep peace in our cities is a small core of Punic citizens, anything else is pointless extravagance.Our fleet, though, must be kept intact. How could we look our forefathers in the eye in the afterlife if we abandoned our Punic heritage by cutting our fleet. No, Carthage rules the waves and must continue to do so, the trade lanes need to be defended.
    Thank you.

The merchant take his seat.

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Wow this is becoming a fad since Maion did his isnt it?

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

Xenophanes stands up and adresses the council:

Honored members of the council. It is indeed great news to hear that Pyrrhus the Menace have left Magna Graecia for his home in Epeiros, this is truly an opportunity for our sicilian army to gain control of the entire island. Must I remind you, that Syrakousai still posses a threat to our hegemony on the sea? I suggest a naval blockade of Syrakousai. Let the isolation take its toll on both warrior and peasant in the city, and then we shall conquer it.

As for the matter of the nomads near Ippone, I'd say CRUSH THEM!

Akbar the lame stands,

"My dear friends, what you have said is wise, but keeping our navy? What for? Sure, a small fleet of hardened warriors is good, but the whole of it?! That is expensive! I too think that the elephants should be disbanded and released into the wild. As for the nomads, well let us raise a small force to keep them at bay, perhaps even recalling Gisco toward the capital, just for security reasons?

What about our army? What will the composition look like?"

4x
    1x

Xenophanes rises once more, to adress Akbar the lame:

I was told that Akbar's limb was only reduced to his body, and not that his logic and intelligence has started to limb as well. For it is folly to disband the fleet that has once created this mighty state that we all belong to. I can garantee, that as soon as we disband our fleet, the Romani dogs will seek to challenge our control over the trade in our part of the world!

Xenophanes rises once more, to adress Akbar the lame:

I was told that Akbar's limb was only reduced to his body, and not that his logic and intelligence has started to limb as well. For it is folly to disband the fleet that has once created this mighty state that we all belong to. I can garantee, that as soon as we disband our fleet, the Romani dogs will seek to challenge our control over the trade in our part of the world!
    Akbar chuckles at the joke made by Xenophanes before he gets up to speak.

"Oh yes, I do lack in intellect my friend, since I am here sitting with a bunch of old fat men,and not at my own pleasure palace. No, I have thought of what you said, and have had a change of heart. Perhaps it is the fact that you were once a sailor that we think a bit differently, but keeping the navy may be a good idea, if we have the funds for it. But I do agree, those Romans can't be trusted. We have personally watched over the years as they make treaties and break them at a whim only to help themselves to the spoils. They recently took over Ariminum haven't they? And then where will they go? South? North? They will be a bother soon. I think in our own life time. Perhaps we should strike first? What say you, my dear country men?"

4x
    1x

Xenophanes smiles towards Akbar as he rises once more:

Akbar's mind is not dull and his logic is not limbing, neither is mine. The navy of Carthage is the envy of the entire world, but perhaps we need to adapt it after the reality.

*Xenophanes turns towards Mago the Saphot*

How does the finances look? Can we afford our large fleet?

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

Name: Hannibal Barca (Bad at making names so sry):(
    Ethnicity: Punic
    Description: He is a great warrior (but not the one ur thinking of) and has by far proven his loyalty to the Shofet. Grew up stick fighting even though his father said this would "never help you in your adulthood". In fact his father wanted for him to become a merchabnt like he was. Instead he went to the academy where he studied military tactics and became a General (1 star) he now serves with others in subjacating numidia.
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii

Mago stands to speak.

" My dear Council Members, we can indeed afford our fleet, and by general consensus we will disband our elephants and march our armies to Ippone. In the meantime, I refuse to abandon our newfound alliance with Syracuse, so I will make no aggressive move towards them. In the interest of maintaining that peace I will dispatch Annibas with all haste to Taras where he will enact a treaty of peace with Pyrrhos of Epeiros.'

"As for the Romans. We will not be the ones to break an alliance so long as I live, lest I be overruled. But as the Council is divided on this matter, I will not strike at this time. If we are lucky their interests will be in Gaul, not Sicily. The Council is Adjourned."

Stay tuned for the update.

Summer 542 Years Since Foundation

The Elephants were disbanded into the wild.

Troops have been gathered from Adrumeto, Sicily, Kart-Hadast and Atiqa. Presently they are led by Captain Ashtzaph.

Annibas has arrived in Sicily safely but has discovered a disturbing piece of information, Roman spies are active within our territory in Sicily!

Taxes have been raised in our Libyan provinces under Adrumeto and Atiqa. However, this may not be sufficient. The treasury recommends we raise taxes in our Iberian provinces as well.

Turmoil in the East! Arche Seleukeia has lost its hold over Pontos, Caucasia and Baktria!

Pyrrhos captures Pella! The infamous Pyrrhos of Epeiros has driven the Makedonians and the Antigonid successors out of their own capital!

Lusitannian encroachment. Though these are our allies, it is of some concern that they are expanding their territory so near to us.

Mago Stands to Speak

We have all heard the reports from afar Councilors. A string of disconcerting news to say the least. Events in Africa seem to be well under control, but events afar seem ever to be moving against us.

Admittedly the collapse of Arche Seleukeia would do us little harm. However, Roman interest in Sicily! The chance that Epeiros might become the master of all Greece! And not least of all the threat of encroaching Iberian tribes! This is the hour in which we are tested! Our actions now will define the course of our great city for decades to come.

Akbar stands, using a cane to support himself.

"My dear country men! Rome in sicily? Wasn't it just a few days ago that I mentioned their expansion into OUR sphere? Oh, gentlemen, I will not stand for this. Let us build an army and Lead it against the Romans and CRUSH them! Sicily will be ours and the grain we extract from it will keep our granaries full forever! What do you say gentlemen?"

4x
    1x

Danel Hanno stands,

You will not stand for what Akbar? Rome using agents to keep an eye on what is happening in an nearby territory? Grow up, this is what states do, this is what we should be doing. If you tell me Roman soldiers are marching through Sicily, that is different, but a few spies? Who cares? For all we know they could be checking out local grain markets making sure Rome isn't getting ripped off. Sure they may be checking our forces in the area, but only to see if we are ready to expand. Not that anybody would advocate such a foolish policy.

Looks at Akbar before sitting.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 04-29-2009 at 13:31.

Loving being a Member Ghaust the Moor's Avatar

Name: Αναξαγορας of Kyrene (Anaxagoras)

Ethninticity: Greco-Punic

Description: Sired by a Punic merchant visiting Kyrene, but was stolen form Kyrene when his father left. Lived on the seas most of his life, but came to Carthage to study law when was 16. He quickly worked his way up to his current position. He is staunchly loyal to Carthage ,but will naturally try to avoid conflict with greece. He hates roman scum.

Xenophanes takes the stand:

Did I not warn for this to happen? Did I not say that the romanoi were out to challenge us? I wished the council would have taken my warnings into higher regards, for now every city, town or village might be crawling with roman spies. Who knows, maybe they got spies in this very chamber, the gods forbid? I'd say we declare war on the romanoi dogs, and teaches them a lesson!

Xenophanes takes the stand:

Did I not warn for this to happen? Did I not say that the romanoi were out to challenge us? I wished the council would have taken my warnings into higher regards, for now every city, town or village might be crawling with roman spies. Who knows, maybe they got spies in this very chamber, the gods forbid? I'd say we declare war on the romanoi dogs, and teaches them a lesson!
    Here Here!!!!!(roars from the senate)
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

Akbar stands, facing Danel Hanno

"Well dear friend? Do you want to call all of us fools? War with rome is Inevitable. Let us vote, and we will win. Im sorry Danel, but we are the majority!"

4x
    1x

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliyi View Post
    Akbar stands, facing Danel Hanno

"Well dear friend? Do you want to call all of us fools? War with rome is Inevitable. Let us vote, and we will win. Im sorry Danel, but we are the majority!"
    Hannibal stands up

WE GO TO WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(many roars from senate 99%of it)
    Last edited by the man with no name; 05-03-2009 at 05:39.
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

Loving being a Member Ghaust the Moor's Avatar

Αναξαγορας stands:

" I realize that the majority of you agree that war is the best policy, but unfortunatly, I have to agree with Danel. Do we ourselves not spy on our friends and enemys alike? They are just making sure we haven't grown to powerful for them. When they invade sicily, than I'll understand, but not a spy. I suggest we just strengthen our garrison, now that the spy is gone, so they have false impressions. This not a matter for war, now an assasin, maybe."

He sits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaust the Moor View Post
    Αναξαγορας stands:

" I realize that the majority of you agree that war is the best policy, but unfortunatly, I have to agree with Danel. Do we ourselves not spy on our friends and enemys alike?
    They are just making sure we haven't grown to powerful for them. When they invade sicily, than I'll understand, but not a spy. I suggest we just strengthen our garrison,
    now that the spy is gone, so they have false impressions. This not a matter for war, now an assasin, maybe."

He sits.
    "Dude the decision is clear, WE GO TO WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by the man with no name; 05-03-2009 at 05:45.
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

Mago stands to address the Senate.

"My dear senators, I cannot resist this overwhelming vote. However I would appreciate some restraint in this endeavor."

Mago let suspicious smile slip,

"We will not be the ones to start a war. I will create an army to assault Rhegium, and I will send a message to Annibas to inform the Romans that this assault on Italy is an effort to assist them."

OOC: Stand by for an update tomorrow.

Akbar Stands to address Mago,

"My my Mago, are you an genious or what? I bow to your conniving ways. This is an excellent plan."

4x
    1x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast