Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who plays EB @ work?

Default Re: Who plays EB @ work?

Now when I'm at uni EB has to wait till I have enough free time to sit and dive into it. Which happens quite rarely, because of all the studying, friends, parties, girls and other stuff. However back when worked as dance instructor I used to play EB between the classes. I still remember these fun times in a greenhouse-like dance hall sitting next to the fan with my laptop.

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

LIES since when is it about studying, it's about the girls!

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Ok fine! I should have ordered them this way: girls, parties, friends and studying.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Post Re: Who plays EB @ work?

My school has more things restricted on the computer than allowed. And I am not talking about anything technical here, just basic functions. Makes me wonder why they replace all of our school computers (2GB RAM, 2.4 gHz dual core, Dell) every two years. Waste of money; we could make do with 1999-vintage computers, if they could only handle high-speed Internet. I go to a technical school where everything is done on computers, in every class but mathematics (even there we work quite a bit with computers actually, but not much).

So anyway, very few non-pre-approved executables are allowed to run on the school computers. It is really a mystery to me, as self-styled computer nerd, why some .exe's, even standard-issue RTS games, can be started up and played on the school computers while others cannot . Not to mention, there are about 10-15 levels of access in the school computer system. Such as the library, the computer classes, and the art classroom all have various restrictions.

Basically, no EB for me. There are ~2,000 students in my school, two computers per student, and yet none that will play EB .

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by satalexton View Post
    LIES since when is it about studying, it's about the girls!
    when you are in the Arab world*. alternatiely, when you are me!

though a proportion (20%) go to school for horseplay

*though Lebanon and Jordan are partial exceptions...I do not consider foreign schools, as they usually either suck or most Arabs find them too expensive.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 04-28-2009 at 02:50.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

i evny you, u actually get to learn how to be a catank

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

wut?
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

kataphraktoi =D
    Last edited by satalexton; 04-28-2009 at 08:52.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

I hope it was so much girls and partying for me as well... I know Physics isn't the easiest subject, but then again I must admit I did think things would be a bit... Wilder, one could say. Not that I care much, mind you Oh, and I haven't played any games since several months now.

Maion
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    when you are in the Arab world*. alternatiely, when you are me!

though a proportion (20%) go to school for horseplay

*though Lebanon and Jordan are partial exceptions...I do not consider foreign schools, as they usually either suck or most Arabs find them too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    wut?
    kataphraktoi =D
    I gather that there is some kind of misunderstanding related to the word "horseplay" here...
    Although I must confess that I am not sure what precisely it means - just getting vague
    ideas related to horse-*breeding*... Which, of course, also involves some riding... But I am not so sure about the armor.

At my university (which has, contrary to my expectations, not expelled me yet for being a depressed Asperger-afflicted => [culturally different from most of the rest of humanity] creature) the computers do not allow for installations outside of the catalogue of engineering-related tools on the central server. You see, since the bachelor-system (with its financial and psychological side-effects) was prematurely dumped upon professors and students alike, "social interaction" has moved from the margin to the core of all campus activity. The competitive sort of social interaction. They dub it "soft skills"; I personally prefer to call it "push-and-shove". On german public universities, the ratio for students with no professor-connections is more like a hundred students to one computer.
    One is expected to carry a netbook with a W-LAN device and join the local VPN network. Convenient for those who have a netbook. Less convenient for those who try to follow lectures past the sounds produced by those playing games like world of warcraft in the lecture hall and loudly discussing their progress.
    It follows that the relatively secluded - even though very crowded - computer-"pools" are sufficiently overrun with shoving students bickering for access that it would be impossible to enjoy playing any games there, even with the administrator access or formidable covert manipulation skills needed to install them.
    Besides, I can not really afford to play that much - I have a staggering task to fulfill...
    Running for bachelor after five semesters of blind stumbling in awe at the pathetic condition of the german "scientific" climate in denial of the fact that such a thing no longer exists in the general public. MTV is a dreadfully efficient killing machine for getting rid of human brain cells. With this conclusion, I cease to look for purpose in others or good examples to follow. Time to set new standards.
    I have some serious catching-up to do - a bachelor is supposed to be done in six semesters, right?
    So, six minus five... leaves... one.
    ONWARD!!
    (But I will provide that AS - guide that I promised earlier on in some other thread. Some day.)

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

Quote Originally Posted by julius_caesar_the_first View Post
    how is that little project going anyway?
    It's running me ragged, getting the cpu's all working right at the same time, and putting it on a couple of kids' laptops who want to play it at home, but it's been very much worth it so far. They are really enjoying it (the girls too), and getting a lot out of it too. They are keeping notes and writing journals of their campaigns and have read some Diodorus Siculus and plenty of examples out of it to make sure they understand the style of prose they should emulate, the dating conventions, terminology, etc.

Thumbs up Re: Who plays EB @ work?

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou View Post
    It's running me ragged, getting the cpu's all working right at the same time, and putting it on a couple of kids' laptops who want to play it at home, but it's been very much worth it so far. They are really enjoying it (the girls too), and getting a lot out of it too. They are keeping notes and writing journals of their campaigns and have read some Diodorus Siculus and plenty of examples out of it to make sure they understand the style of prose they should emulate, the dating conventions, terminology, etc.
    It must be pretty cool having your own little lab mice playing EB.

It takes a *lot* of direction from myself each day in the lab and setting up the computers for them. EB is not a game to just usually drop people into playing if they aren't used to the genre or engine itself. That part may seem pretty crazy actually. It's a good thing I know all the Hellenic factions backwards and forwards and wrote a pretty fair amount of the text they are seeing (as Greeks). Wouldn't be so difficult if they were just playing, but they are doing a lot of writing too - it's a very serious school project after all (I believe the project rubric and guide that I made for them was 10 pages, single spaced, tiny margins - though four was Diodorus Siculus' account of the battle of Mantinea and the death of Epaminondas).

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou View Post
    It takes a *lot* of direction from myself each day in the lab and setting up the computers for them. EB is not a game to just usually drop people into playing if they aren't used to the genre or engine itself. That part may seem pretty crazy actually. It's a good thing I know all the Hellenic factions backwards and forwards and wrote a pretty fair amount of the text they are seeing (as Greeks). Wouldn't be so difficult if they were just playing, but they are doing a lot of writing too - it's a very serious school project after all (I believe the project rubric and guide that I made for them was 10 pages, single spaced, tiny margins - though four was Diodorus Siculus' account of the battle of Mantinea and the death of Epaminondas).
    That is very cool, would it be possible you could post their works for us to see them? IF they didn't mind ofcourse. I bet they would surpase many of our aars.

4x
    1x

Maybe when they are done. They turned in on Monday the first draft submissions of their first couple of days playing, and could all use some work. Next ones are due Thursday. We play for one more week, then a couple of days review and then exams. I showed them some AAR's one day when we had in-class loadups (13 minutes approx.) and they were amazed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12