Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who plays EB @ work?

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

Default Who plays EB @ work?

Work work work work.....this is sucking the life out of me.

I want EB.

I WANT MAKEDONIA.

ALL HEIL MAKEDONIA!!!

Now seriously, does anybody here have EB installed @ work? If yes, how did you do it w/o getting caught.....and got any tips and tricks to save one's skin from unemployment?

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Default Re: Who plays EB @ work?

I play in the lunch breaks. I teach in a private school, so i just lock my classroom door and munch away at lunch as i take over the ancient world.

I cannot for two reasons:
    1. My work provided laptop is crap, just could not cope with any TW game.
    2. If I load software on to it and get found out, that is game, set and match.

I just make do, checking out the forums and planning my strategy for when I play later( Not forgetting looking forward to my lunch)

I'm working on a machine like the one the pic above so i can't install anything myself ;)
    Last edited by Dutchhoplite; 04-24-2009 at 11:16.
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

but u can just sick in an external with EB on it, ya slackin' lump of lard ;)

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

I'd be tempted to bring my laptop into work and play EB, except that i deal with customers every few minutes - wouldn't be good to be making them wait while i get a cavalry charge just right

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

*hrhr, try playing EB while lugging two crates of beer right across the disco-building to the main bar and then while filling up the freezers with it - or while counting the money...
    Ok, I think now I'd prefer a desk job - all the more reason to get a grip on university :D

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtmeister View Post
    all the more reason to get a grip on university :D
    You say that again. Lucky thing what I do to gain some extra cash is to teach basic Math at children

Maion
    ~Maion

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    You say that again. Lucky thing what I do to gain some extra cash is to teach basic Math at children

Maion
    You teach at children? So basically you teach in a monologue and don't care if they get it or not?

Only kidding, Maion always corrects peoples Greek...

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    You teach at children? So basically you teach in a monologue and don't care if they get it or not?

Only kidding, Maion always corrects peoples Greek...
    Dude, I teach Math not Greek

Though it's true today's children have zero knowledge of the subject. No interest, you see. Very sad, if you ask me.

Maion
    ~Maion

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near a computer at work. Stocking shelves at a grocery store well, it can be pretty blan. But, that is when i think about my aar, and get most of my good Ideas. So yah, I play EB in my head at work. Does that count?

4x
    1x

I'm working right now....and I've got Eb going on my other computer. I love working from home, although field work sometimes pulls me away. Course when the wife comes around I'll just do a little ALT-TAB and pretend t obe frustrated over some random report.
    The warriors of Greece don't sleep...they wait for next battle.

Well I never played EB at work since I didn't know it existed two years ago (I did play RTW) and I'v moved on to other games (too many camapigns died because of a ctd) but I do play at the book shop that I work in on my personal laptop (Crusader Kings, Morrowind, and EU III).

How do I get away with it? My mom's the boss
    Last edited by julius_caesar_the_first; 04-24-2009 at 20:21.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by julius_caesar_the_first View Post
    Morrowind
    You ever have an in-game character shout "S'wit!" have a customer think you insulted them?

Post Re: Who plays EB @ work?

Quote Originally Posted by julius_caesar_the_first View Post
    How do I get away with it? My mom's the boss
    They're always the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliyi
    Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near a computer at work. Stocking shelves at a grocery store well, it can be pretty blan.
    Yeah, more or less my situation. We need good imaginations for our line of work.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

my job involves no computers, I just hang things.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Question Re: Who plays EB @ work?

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    Lingerie?

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    You're a hangman?
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

Though it's true today's children have zero knowledge of the subject. No interest, you see. Very sad, if you ask me.
    Though I was actually quite good at mathematics at school (judging by the ability of my peers), I never really found the subject that gripping. Now I'm more aware of how significant the laws of mathematics are.
    I expect it's rather difficult to impress upon youngsters such notions; I remember being told that "maths applies to everything" and that sort of stuff, but was always quite sceptical as I either didn't see this as true or just didn't aspire to be an accountant/book keeper/actuary or whathaveyou at that age.

I don't play EB at work, because I'm currently a jobless loser. I do have Dwarf Fortress on a portable drive for slow days at university, though, but this doesn't get much use if I'm out taking field recordings or watching meters (not sure if this means that my course is very hands-on, or that I'm just not very good at skiving).

It seems that one of the most important criterion in determining at-work suitability in a game is the inclusion of a Boss Mode function, or the ease with which it Alt-Tabs on/off. Add to this the physical space and graphical & processor requirements, and EB is unfortunately a poor candidate for an on-the-clock game, for most
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

Dude, I teach Math not Greek

Maion

Have no fear friend! I intend to learn Greek when I attend University.

Latin too, but that's not important...
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by penguinking View Post
    You're a hangman?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

sorry about that, that was just..funny in a twisted way.

ok... for you

yes, I hang things for a living, but I'm not a hangman. I'm a student worker at my college, and my job is to hang artwork on the art gallery's walls. but yeah, I do get the hangman question alot.

@ meth:
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 04-25-2009 at 04:07.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

How many people are playing EB *for* work? Me!
    Or rather, having my students play it in class.

how is that little project going anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by soup_alex View Post
    Though I was actually quite good at mathematics at school (judging by the ability of my peers), I never really found the subject that gripping. Now I'm more aware of how significant the laws of mathematics are.
    I expect it's rather difficult to impress upon youngsters such notions; I remember being told that "maths applies to everything" and that sort of stuff, but was always quite sceptical as I either didn't see this as true or just didn't aspire to be an accountant/book keeper/actuary or whathaveyou at that age.
    I undrestand what you mean, hell I wasn't that good at Mathematics back at school as well. That it, until my last 3 years when I knew I wanted to actually study and become a Mathematician. Note that I study Physics, not Mathematics at the moment, though I realized I prefer the former only until the very last minute when I had to apply to a University.

Actually, this is a very big subject which deserves its own thread, but which in turn doesn't belong here in the EB forum. There are many factors that have to do with the fact that Maths (and the Exact Sciences in general) do not impress many children anymore. This includes a bad educational system, the lack of good jobs (like making tons of money very fast) after you've taken your BSc degree, bad books at schools and many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Glyndwr View Post
    Have no fear friend! I intend to learn Greek when I attend University.

Latin too, but that's not important...
    Greek eh? Good luck, because it won't be easy. Not trying to scare you or anything, but of course if you like it then there's no problem. Latin is interesting too, and will certainly be easier for you to learn (same alphabet as the English one, many words from which English ones derive etc).

Maion
    ~Maion

...the lack of good jobs (like making tons of money very fast) after you've taken your BSc degree...
    That's funny, the degree I'm working towards is a BSc... and I've never been good at looking for (and getting) jobs before, either. Things are not looking good for Captain Unemployable!
    (Actually, it's quite a "vocational" sort of course, and I think the expectation for most who take it is to perhaps end up self-employed; personally I'd be happy to work as a live sound engineer at my local, though it's not quite "aiming high" for a graduate.)
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

Default AW: Who plays EB @ work?

it´s to bad - i work independently and i have to kick EB out of my workstation because of playing to much...

now i have stricked order for myself, not to play at daytime and only for 2-3 hours ...

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou View Post
    How many people are playing EB *for* work? Me!
    Or rather, having my students play it in class.
    How on earth do students get to play EB for Class???!!!

That would be the perfect history lesson. If only my teachers knew about it.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

I play EB on my laptop when:
    4) waiting younger students do their exams (I was an assistant lecturer in my univ)... free 2 / 3 hour

3) waiting my girlfriend finish her lectures, before going out dinner... about a quarter of day...

2) waiting my hydrothermal reactions occur completely (48 hours in lab and you must be present!)

1) must sit in a very boorrriiiiinnnnggggggg seminar.... (4-6 hours of extreme pain...) - played with earpieces... and sit in the very back

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

you lucky prick, darn why didn't i study for my chem exam?

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

School FTW!

Ahh... Almost summer holiday! Around 10 weeks free time....
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 04-27-2009 at 17:50.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast