Thread: Hayasdan vs Parthia

Default Hayasdan vs Parthia

Which one of these factions is more "Persian"? Meaning if you wanted to recreate as close to the old Achaemenid Empire as you could get, which faction would you play? We all know the Hai King's claim to the Persian throne, but what of Parthia's claim?

I've tried searching for a topic like this but haven't had any luck.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Hayasdan vs Parthia

Hayasdan, definitely. The Parthians are basically the Parni, who were a steppe tribe completely unrelated to the ancient Persians.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Blog Entries

I would actually take Pontos. They were pretty persian like too. Had Chariots etc..

Quote Originally Posted by seienchin View Post
    I would actually take Pontos. They were pretty persian like too. Had Chariots etc..
    I thought about that, and even though the Pontic Kings were Persian, their military and culture seem a little too Hellenic.

The Hayasdan definately, their rulers are the decendants of a Achaemenid satrap.

The Pontic rulers AFAIK were decended from the old Achaemenid governors of Kios a city in Bithynia so if your judging the claim by seniority the Hai win outright.
    Last edited by bobbin; 04-25-2009 at 00:50.

Quote Originally Posted by jsadighi View Post
    Which one of these factions is more "Persian"?
    Parthians in terms of language, Armenians in terms of culture. Didn't help much, did it? :-)

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

You did. Language really means little in the way of things. A bit like how Americans and British speak the same language (Debate all you want about this) but are obviously not the same people.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Damn traitors to the crown!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Fix your teeth first and maybe we can talk. :-p
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Why the bugger didn't I mention my own country? Man, you know you're unrecognized when your own people neglect you...
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Good question I have had it also. I always have thought in the Hayasdan faction as possible heir of the Achemenids. My next campaing in game will be with them
    "This war between the Romans and Celtiberians is called the fiery War, for while wars in Greece or Asia are settled with one or two pitched battles, the battles there dragged on, only brought to a temporary end by the darkness of the night. Both sides refused to let their courage flag or their bodies tire". Polybius.

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    You did. Language really means little in the way of things. A bit like how Americans and British speak the same language (Debate all you want about this) but are obviously not the same people.
    Armenians and Persians are not the same people either. There are cultural similarities, but they are two different ethnicities.
    Last edited by artavazd; 04-25-2009 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Why the bugger didn't I mention my own country? Man, you know you're unrecognized when your own people neglect you...
    Don't feel too bad all my friends who have been to Vancouver talk of it like the promised land.

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

This is a question which isn't supposed to be easily answered due to the inherent "Persian-ness" of the Achaemenid empire; in its western reaches, around Caria and Hellespontine Phrygia, it was profoundly Hellenized, in the rough mid-section in the Near East, the tributaries retained their Jewish and Babylonian character. In the north-east, Iranian speaking horse-tribes hailed. There is no simple answer to this matter, and accordingly to history, it's not supposed to be something which can be easily answered. Historical outcome is that Armenia, ironically by an Iranian dynasty, became a distinct though related culture, cemented by Mashtots' invention of the Armenian script, while the Arsacids basically laid the foundation to what was to become a "medieval" Persia.

This is why we tend to use the loosely defined cultural phrase "Persianate society".

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

Quote Originally Posted by The Persian Cataphract View Post
    This is a question which isn't supposed to be easily answered due to the inherent "Persian-ness" of the Achaemenid empire; in its western reaches, around Caria and Hellespontine Phrygia, it was profoundly Hellenized, in the rough mid-section in the Near East, the tributaries retained their Jewish and Babylonian character. In the north-east, Iranian speaking horse-tribes hailed. There is no simple answer to this matter, and accordingly to history, it's not supposed to be something which can be easily answered. Historical outcome is that Armenia, ironically by an Iranian dynasty, became a distinct though related culture, cemented by Mashtots' invention of the Armenian script, while the Arsacids basically laid the foundation to what was to become a "medieval" Persia.

This is why we tend to use the loosely defined cultural phrase "Persianate society".
    Judging by your signature am I correct in assuming that you would pick Parthia?

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Knowing TPC, you're going to get a torrent of words. Many smart words.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Parthia? Are you confusing this with Pahlava?
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

His sig is due to being on the dev team for the Pahlavan faction. The man knows his stuff when it comes to Iranian history.

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Parthia? Are you confusing this with Pahlava?
    I guess I am.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinusCDXX View Post
    His sig is due to being on the dev team for the Pahlavan faction. The man knows his stuff when it comes to Iranian history.
    Good to know. That clears that up.