Thread: Grenzers...how do i get em?

Default Grenzers...how do i get em?

pretty simple really i'm playing as austria and have achieved all requirements and yet cannot recruit grenzers. Are they only available in a certain region, is it some sort of unit cap that i've exceeded because I've already training two units of windebuch(sp)? I hate to start a new topic for this but it's driving me nuts anyone shed any light on this for me.
    Last edited by sassbarman; 04-25-2009 at 23:58.

Post Re: Grenzers...how do i get em?

They have no limit/unit cap. You need machine rifling. In the files, its recruitment region stated it was recruited in "grenzer." Ok, that was not entirely helpful, all it told me was that its recruitment was restricted to a certain area.

However, their unit_id calls them euro_elite_light_infantry_croatian_grenzers. Is Croatia in the game? If it is, build up your military infrastructure there. You should be able to recruit the buggers in Croatia(if it exists, if not, try the region(s) where Croatia historically is part of), and possibly the other nearby regions, as well.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 04-26-2009 at 00:56.

Default Re: Grenzers...how do i get em?

thanks MM i will check it out.

at the risk of possibly having a discussion with myself here, i went to check if i could recruit grenzers in croatia as per megas suggestion and wouldn't you have guess it i can't load my save game. the year was 1792 and i was about to finish off the marathas just in time to secure a prestige victory and all i get is the white screen of death.BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by sassbarman; 04-26-2009 at 03:47.

Thumbs up Re: Grenzers...how do i get em?

Haha, life's life. Not 10 minutes ago, I made Grenzers recruitable everywhere.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sassbarman View Post
    pretty simple really i'm playing as austria and have achieved all requirements and yet cannot recruit grenzers. Are they only available in a certain region, is it some sort of unit cap that i've exceeded because I've already training two units of windebuch(sp)? I hate to start a new topic for this but it's driving me nuts anyone shed any light on this for me.
    you won't get them in vanilla game without modding. the area of recruitment for grentzers is bugged in the unit file.

check out this thread on twcenter: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...light=grenzers.

see what the 4th poster (blank) says and follow his instructions. I got grentzers into my Austrian campaign that way. The fix is easy as long as you download the package management app mentioned in the thread.

good luck.

Thumbs up Re: Grenzers...how do i get em?

Wow, sucks for the common TW player. We modders have rockin' lives!

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

When I played Austria I got it early on. Didn’t need machined rifling…or am I thinking of another unit?

Anyway all the Austrian rifles are good. I think it my be my favorite faction so far, just for the units.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    When I played Austria I got it early on. Didn’t need machined rifling…or am I thinking of another unit?

Anyway all the Austrian rifles are good. I think it my be my favorite faction so far, just for the units.
    I believe the early ones are the generic 'rabble' skirmishers. Their name starts with "P".

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    I believe the early ones are the generic 'rabble' skirmishers. Their name starts with "P".
    Absolutely not! they were rifle men, the Jägers I suppose. They required no rifle techs but had the rifle range in combat.

I may not have built the others. A double barrel is nice but they don’t have the range of a rifleman.

I think I was cleaning everyone’s clocks with Jägers, Light Dragoons, & Horse Artillery with a few line infantry thrown in at times.

Austria has the worst line infantry but the other troops more than make up for them. I am only guessing that they are not treated as favorably in auto resolve combat by the AI factions and thus we see Austria knocked out in a lot of campaigns.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Absolutely not! they were rifle men, the Jägers I suppose. They required no rifle techs but had the rifle range in combat.

I may not have built the others. A double barrel is nice but they don’t have the range of a rifleman.

I think I was cleaning everyone’s clocks with Jägers, Light Dragoons, & Horse Artillery with a few line infantry thrown in at times.

Austria has the worst line infantry but the other troops more than make up for them. I am only guessing that they are not treated as favorably in auto resolve combat by the AI factions and thus we see Austria knocked out in a lot of campaigns.
    Hmm... That's weird. I do not remember getting any rifle range rifle men without researching the tech neither as Austria nor as Prussia. Hmm...

By the way, Austria does not have the worst line infantry. Turks do... Until they get their janissary musketmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Hmm... That's weird. I do not remember getting any rifle range rifle men without researching the tech neither as Austria nor as Prussia. Hmm...

By the way, Austria does not have the worst line infantry. Turks do... Until they get their janissary musketmen.
    I think that the Austrians and Americans get riflemen before machine rifling is researched.

Note that rifling was hand made then. The American units take two turns to build but the Austrian Jägers take only one. And yes, for once I think they did a good job of homework with a faction.

Some of the others are not so well done.

Mark Twain

Yeah, the Americans get their longriflemen and the Austrians get their jaegers with the Light Infantry Doctrine tech.

I dunno what the Americans get with machined rifling (if anything), but the Austrians are supposed to get Grenzers from it. Btw, Grenzers only have a range of 80, but shoot two muskets with one shot. This is possible from their range because they have a double-barrelled musket. Shooting two balls with a single-barrel will limit a unit's range and accuracy(it's not possible, btw, to do this in-game).
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 04-26-2009 at 21:08.

Kind of similar question regarding a faction specific unit....

As Russia, how do I build Siberian Hunters?

They can only be recruited in the Sibera region(s), which is way out east. As far as I know, they do not need any technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    They can only be recruited in the Sibera region(s), which is way out east. As far as I know, they do not need any technologies.
    Guess they need the military barracks in one of those areas. Oh well unless their phenominal performers that's one hell of a hike to any front.

Quote Originally Posted by nafod View Post
    Guess they need the military barracks in one of those areas. Oh well unless their phenominal performers that's one hell of a hike to any front.
    Indeed. Now, in return, I demand as many balloons (i.e. ) as you can give me.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 04-29-2009 at 02:08.