Thread: How you can use the crusades/jinhads in eb 2

Default How you can use the crusades/jinhads in eb 2

In times of strife and war when i kingdom was invaded a king gave a sort of call to arms.

I think this should be added in one way or another.

Basicly a king with a fair bit of influencend in a homeland region should be able to summon a few units of millita/ peasant level troops If a enemy army is present in a homeland region.

Tell me what you think.

Default Re: How you can use the crusades/jinhads in eb 2

I imagine that the jihad/crusade will be one of the things that are scrapped for EB2 - just like the supremacy of the papal states will be, and like the senate was in EB1. -M
    My Balloons:

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

They won't tell you...
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

AFAIK you need a papal states faction to have crusades so they're out and the team hasn't said anything about if or what they'll do with jihads.

Jihads might work if there is a variety of Gallic factions, or Iberian or German etc.. and you give the jihad option to the Gallic factions to unite against a common enemy. No one really knows what will happen with the feature.

Thumbs down Re: How you can use the crusades/jinhads in eb 2

Quote Originally Posted by decimator22 View Post
    Jihads might work if there is a variety of Gallic factions, or Iberian or German etc.. and you give the jihad option to the Gallic factions to unite against a common enemy. No one really knows what will happen with the feature.
    If this were to be implemented into EB in such a way, why would it possibly be limited solely to the Celtic factions?

I remember a while back someone suggesting they could be used to model migrations which was a pretty interesting idea.

That should work to give the romans hell but it would be annoying, having 5 jihad armies heading for rome every 5-10 turns.. About the gallic factions uniting, it seems doubtful since they mostly warred between themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin
    I remember a while back someone suggesting they could be used to model migrations which was a pretty interesting idea.
    Not sure about this one, there were few any at all at the classical era based on my knowlege, but could be used if EB was moved to the fall of Rome (Extremely Unlikely).

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

That would be interesting, but the problem is, the only time we know of that really happening (AFAIK) is against Caesar, and even then it was pretty late in the Gallic War. I mean, Arminius managed to unite a few (Germanic) tribes, but it was really only for the Teutoberg forest massacre. I think Vercingetorix was really the first and last person to unite so many celts for so long. -M
    My Balloons:

Exclamation Re: How you can use the crusades/jinhads in eb 2

It'd be a idiotic feature, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    It'd be a idiotic feature, then.
    Absolutely agree.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

There was two ideas one serious, and one foolish...

The serious idea... give the jihad ability for nomadic faction, because the jihad units are free from upkeep, they're best used for roleplaying "gathering new horde" and taking one specified settlements...

The stupid idea:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Give this ability for Saby'n or Kardhastim

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

LOL. Bit stupid

Shame on me, just posted on ETW about M2TW, Ahh... The Shame....

Quote Originally Posted by Alsatia View Post
    That should work to give the romans hell but it would be annoying, having 5 jihad armies heading for rome every 5-10 turns.
    As i recall there is set minimum number of years between crusades/jihads but I don't know how long it is or if it can be changed. But i do agree they sould probably be left out.

Not sure about this one, there were few any at all at the classical era based on my knowlege, but could be used if EB was moved to the fall of Rome (Extremely Unlikely).
    Eh? no mirgations in the classical era? Might want to check that.

There's the Cimbri-Teutones right in the middle of EB's timeframe, galatian migrations just before, yuezhi around 180bc, Saka before that, the Parni (Phalava) around 250bc and the Helvetii around 50bc. Those are just the ones i can think off the top of my head. Migrations weren't limited to the late empire times.

ps good luck with the chemistry olympiad cute wolf! just sat my 3rd year organic exam this morning, I owned them radical clocks.
    Last edited by bobbin; 04-27-2009 at 13:29.

Sorry. I'm not that good with my classical History.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Wasn't the Celts' standard method for dealing with overpopulation to have around half the bunch pack up their stuff and move somewhere else en masse, too...?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Tat was probably true for all peoples in some part, look at the amount of colonies founded by the greeks for example, they were done essentially to control population in the mother city.

Post Re: How you can use the crusades/jinhads in eb 2

One could argue that this could work hand-in-hand with the idea of colonizing regions into becoming type 2, or even type 1, governments. But this is an old dream, IIRC.

Still kind of ridiculous, though.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 04-27-2009 at 20:45.

If the Koinon Hellenon were individual factions I bet the Jihad feature would work well but as it stands I don't think the mod really needs it.
    Last edited by Rilder; 04-28-2009 at 15:59.

Arminus rather united the Germans when fighting off Germanicus attempt at reconquest, not as much for the Varus Disaster. I have always thought the descriptions of the annihilation of varus sounded more like what the Finns did to the Soviets in the Winter War away from the main (S) front, up in the forests, cut them to manageble bits and annihilate them one by one. Finns called those bits "Motti" = 1 Cubic M of firewood ha ha ha ha, I <3 Finns
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Stupid Soviets tried to play mechanised warfare in woods. Got eaten alive by what was really a rather seriously old forest-warfare tactic.
    Can't help but pity the hapless grunts though.
    (As an aside, they later pulled some rather similar moves on the even less "woodwise" Germans in the northern sector during the Continuation War - the Finns had to rescue their allies on at least one occasion from such encirclement.)

That said though, Arminius pulled a rather major surprise backstab on poor Varus. Succesful surprise attacks tend to lead to decimated armies at the best of times, so eh... The degree to which he "united the Germans" is kinda questionable though, as he'd just managed to gain the following of a handful of tribes; IIRC he spent the next quite a while warring with other chieftains and wannabe kings...
    Last edited by Watchman; 04-28-2009 at 20:51.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    If this were to be implemented into EB in such a way, why would it possibly be limited solely to the Celtic factions?
    I meant you could choose only celts, or germans or nomads etc...

As many have said it would probably make more problems than help us enjoy the game.

Succesful surprise attacks tend to lead to decimated armies at the best of times, so eh... The degree to which he "united the Germans" is kinda questionable though, as he'd just managed to gain the following of a handful of tribes; IIRC he spent the next quite a while warring with other chieftains and wannabe kings...
    Very true, and then there's the fact that he ended up being assassinated by his own people. -M
    My Balloons:

You could say germanicus united them, pressure creates counterpressure. Arminus succeeded in uniting many (not all) German (and possibly one or two Danish) tribes, for a while... That is, for as long as Roman Legions invaded each summer, bent on reconquest. Another, smaller block of german tribes was allied to Marbod of the Marcomanni. When the Romans gave up, Arminus tried to keep the alliance going by warring with Marbod, but as his own power became too great other magnates/tribes rebelled.

When the Crusaders had settled infighting and quarreling was not uncommon either, so superficially similar, and the structure of Medieval society was made in the Iron Age, so... slightly similar. I think Crusades and Jihad should not be included. I would love to see smaller factions allying themselves to greater and become protectorates of theor iwn volition, like Syracouse, Massilia, Pergamon, Cyrene and Ptolomai Egypt did with Rome, and others probably did with AS and Macedonia.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

I would guess they would make for a good hording representation, without the overpoweredness of the BI horde.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I wouldn't mind seeing a giant stack of Cimbri ravage Gaul and Italy.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Nor would I, but that would require them to be included as a faction. I think they should be to counter the Suebi juggernaut, but I am probably biased by living on Cimbri Chersonesos and being descended from them and/or the Haerudi ;-)