Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Default Re: Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Upgrading from Vista to 7 is not that much of a necessity unless you really want to stay up-to-date(in which case you should expect having to spend money) or want DX 11(no idea whether this will come for Vista as well) but for DX 11 you also need a new graphics card. If your Vista runs fine, then it does. I wanted to update mine but was a bit hesitant due to laziness and then thought the only real reason I had was to get rid of that 3rd party wallpaper changer that doesn't save my settings so I suspended the upgrade for a while. The notebook can run on the RC until next year anyway.
    I'm sure I'll do it some day though as I already got it lying around.
    I'm not aware of a single DX 11 game out yet anyway, the step from XP to 7 is more interesting IMO.
    Upgrading from Vista to 7 is not particularly worth it IMO. DX 11 is supposedly to be backported to Vista anyways (it's DX on top of the Vista driver architecture, so yeah: how hard can it be?), and as we all know: MS OS'es aren't worth bothering with (as in: going out to purchase the discs, purchasing hardware that force-feeds you the OS is another matter) till the first few service packs have arrived. Which isn't anytime particularly soon.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Party party paaaaar-tay!

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A free copy of ultimate?

Why didn't you link sooner, Lemur.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-10-2009 at 00:46.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Apparently I can order a copy of W7 for free, only shipping applies, should I get it? Im going to get W7 Home Premium, whateva that means.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Exclamation Re: Windows 7

Of course you should. It is either it or Vista, and I would go with Windows 7.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    Apparently I can order a copy of W7 for free, only shipping applies, should I get it? Im going to get W7 Home Premium, whateva that means.
    Yes, get it. It is far superior to XP/Vista
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    If it's a legitimate copy, then yes, of course.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

If it's a legitimate copy, then yes, of course.
    Of course it is, it is because I bought an Acer in the time the promottion applies. I think they will make it available in 15 days, more or less.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

A buddy of mine who runs a computer shop offered me Windows 7 Ultimate (I guess Msoft is throwing around promo copies) and I accepted. Typing on it right now, not bad, not bad. Went 64-bit, since that's where the cool kids are.

Not bad, not bad at all. Big improvement over Vista.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Yeah looking good. I confused my macbook with my couch and now it's broken, I need a new one. Might just get a Windows 7 machine.
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-19-2009 at 18:31.

Looks like rural Wisconsin isn't the only place where Windows 7 is showing up early.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Looks like rural Wisconsin isn't the only place where Windows 7 is showing up early.
    Damnit, why did I choose super-saver delivery! At the time I thought I'd not be bothered about getting it sooner or later but (rightly or wrongly) I'm now almost excited about trying the new OS! (for info, I've been on XP since it came out)

Blog Entries

Good thing about Windows 7 if you got a widescreen monitor like myself, is that it looks decent when you set the toolbar to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Good thing about Windows 7 if you got a widescreen monitor like myself, is that it looks decent when you set the toolbar to the side.
    Heh, I have it on the side on my laptop, and yes, it looks good, mostly because the program icons have no text per default, just nice icons. Another thing I like is that you can stick them there as shortcuts.

Mine just arrived! Had it delivered to work. I'm considering this a minor miracle with the current postal strike we have here.

I'll perform the upgrade over the weekend. Going to have to do a bit of a spring clean of my HD first though, i'm sure some files have almost fossilized on it :)

Went through the change-over and compatability help, no compatabilit issues. I'm quite surprised at how it appears someone actually thought about what people would have to do to transfer to Win7 -something completely new from MS!

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

mine turned up today too.

going to wait till asus release a driver for my Xonar sound card before i install first though....
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I ordered at the student discount price. Download went well. However, its being entirely uncooperative with me for the installation- it begins unpacking, and then at the end, tells me some issue about write protection and quits. I'm probably going to just wait for the actual disk comes in the mail. Gonna be pretty irritated if this doesn't work.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Blog Entries

Good find Khaan, I was able to do a search for UK students and a result came up.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

Now to get my legitimate copy opposed to my beta/RC.

Heh, I have it on the side on my laptop, and yes, it looks good, mostly because the program icons have no text per default, just nice icons. Another thing I like is that you can stick them there as shortcuts.
    Yes, exactly. I was annoyed about how screens kept getting wider, but the windows keep getting thinner and with the task bar there, it was annoying. Then I thought "Why not stick it onto the side?" At first, the thought was sort of alien, but I set it to the side and a day or so later, I do not want to swap it back at all.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-22-2009 at 19:18.

Twenty-seven takes on Windows 7.

-edit-

Also, a . This is kinda how I imagined all Windows 7 Launch Parties would go.
    Last edited by Lemur; 10-23-2009 at 00:54.

Blog Entries

So it turns out I wasn't the only one who had issues with the student discount download.

Thinking that I'm going to ask for a refund on the download, although I'm still awaiting the actual disk to come in the mail.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Kahn, which flavor of 7 do you (maybe!) get at the student price? Their byzantine website layout offers no illumination.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Kahn, which flavor of 7 do you (maybe!) get at the student price? Their byzantine website layout offers no illumination.
    Well, I got home premium, 64 bit. I was intending to do a clean install. However, the downloaded version doesn't like you doing that, apparently. So, I am going to do a clean install when the actual disk comes.(two to three weeks! ). I believe the only one you can get is home premium. I could be wrong, however. As you correctly noted, the site is a bit labyrinth-y.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

I wanted to upgrade but I think I'll just hold off till I get a new PC whenever that will be.

Well I got my version last Thursday and a few new hardware bits over the weekend. I upgraded from XP pro 32 bit to Win 7 Home premium 64bit, as well as adding an extra 2GB DDR2 RAM (total now 4GB).

It all runs very nicely, although I have to say the custom install wasn't as clear as I'd expected. I had previously been running windows on a partition of my main SATA HD, the other space used for file storage. The install recognised the seperate partitions but in installing Win7, merged them and I've lost all the files files on my data partition! Over 100GB of files!

Anyway, annoying but not so terrible.

I'm also not sure what the "Windows old" file is actually for, why would you need the whole Windows, Program files and Docs form the previous install saved? I don't think you can even roll-back the install... I guess I should have used the transfer program, in any case I am now sifting through the archived files, picking out the bits I need.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

They put up a price tag of 136 USD + KDV (=VAT which is +%18) for a Home Premium which will probably fail with networking at some point for sure and expect me/us to flock towards Microsoft Temple$ ?

This is just unfair. Nothing else. I sweat my bones to earn 800$ a month.

"You can't afford, you can't dare going illegal. Yet you're poor yes, we all know that. Shhht ! No-no-no-no, naaasty !"

Unfair. Living in a world of dumblings who do not give a about where they are marketing their products...I have to shut up or I'll be penetrating all we have advocated so far.

Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 10-26-2009 at 19:17.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    They put up a price tag of 136 USD + KDV (=VAT which is +%18) for a Home Premium.
    $136 plus tax for Win7 Home Premium in Turkey? That's ridiculous. There must be discounted version. Heck, you can always get a OED version with a USB cable if it comes down to that.

Don't be fooled by the retail price. That can't hold. Not when Apple is giving away OS X 10.6 for $30 to anybody who asks, and students are snapping up Win7 for shipping. No, that can't hold.

Blog Entries

Seduce a young wily student in the UK and ask her if you could use their university email account to get it, LeftEyeNine

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Having been forced to work with Vista for a while, not buying it out of principle. Microsoft should understand that people buy a computer because they want to use it, not to pay to beta-test their latest OS. Thanks for the welcome, but looking at it for half an hour kinda outstays it's welcome. I want to be able to open a word document, is that too much to ask? You never know if your command was registered in the first place, should you be lucky enough that you actually opened something you never know when it will open 6 times which takes at least an hour before the system has recovered, and that is before you have written a single line. You never know when, and why, it starts chasing it's tail, it's completely random. I can not work with this it's completely worthless. buying a new Mac.
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-27-2009 at 09:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Having been forced to work with Vista for a while, not buying it out of principle. Microsoft should understand that people buy a computer because they want to use it, not to pay to beta-test their latest OS. Thanks for the welcome, but looking at it for half an hour kinda outstays it's welcome. I want to be able to open a word document, is that too much to ask? You never know if your command was registered in the first place, should you be lucky enough that you actually opened something you never know when it will open 6 times which takes at least an hour before the system has recovered, and that is before you have written a single line. You never know when, and why, it starts chasing it's tail, it's completely random. I can not work with this it's completely worthless. buying a new Mac.
    Is that about Vista or Win7?

That sounds like you were running Vista on a 200MHz computer, Fragony, I've had no problems with Vista and Office 2007.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast