Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Windows 7

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    That sounds like you were running Vista on a 200MHz computer, Fragony, I've had no problems with Vista and Office 2007.
    Running Crysis on medium. It does not matter how fast your computer is, Vista will eventually choke it, just a matter of time before it grows tired of chasing it's tail and needs a full reboot, I have no idea what it's thinking about, but it must be pretty complicated since it sometimes takes over half an hour before I can even open my browser, it usually takes more time because I have to make sure it actually does understand I want to open my browser, and you can never know if it's actually doing what you asked it to do or if it's completely lost in limbo. Turns out it did register your command, you end up with 5 crashed screens, Vista chokes, restart. restart. restart. FFS PLEASE RESTART. Welcome. Welcome. Welcome. Crash. restart restat restart FFS PLEASE RESTART IT ISN"T AS IF ASKED SO. MANY. TIMES. And yes I really want to do that. Yes I really want to do that. Did I already tell you I really want to do that? Yeah I still want to do it PLEASE DO IT. Needs a reboot. Now if you are keen on nursing your OS I guess it can be functional, but for someone on a schedule it isn't workable. That is just the internet, checking my e-mail. But I also need Office, 1 or 2 hours before I can open it, usually takes a few reboots because Vista is doing... something, and I can only hope my keyboard hasn't swapped. With my Macbook that is now BROKEN, start, pling, do, does. Why anyone but a gamer would rather drown in a bucket of mollases instead of paying more for something you can use is beyond me.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is not Vista, this is Windows 7, it is a different kettle of fish and uses half the resources Vista uses.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    This is not Vista, this is Windows 7, it is a different kettle of fish and uses half the resources Vista uses.
    Be that as it may, what you are dealing with is pure hate. How they actually released such a thing such as Vista. XP wasn't even beyond beta status when they released it Vista. Now XP is really good, and it won't run certain programs because you are supposed to gob up their latest turd. A mac is expensive, and Apple is an truly annoying company with all their hardware-guru bull for people with odd glasses and purple pants, they deserve a neckshot. But it works and it's pretty so I forgive them.

Blog Entries

Did you ever use Windows ME from Windows 98?

Microsoft uses the formulae of "Good, Bad, Good, Bad, Good".
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

That is when my personal relation with Microsoft became somewhat troublesome. I really liked windows 95. It has to be said that I still like Tosa. But he owes me bigtime.

But I have been converted I now pray to Steve Jobs. It is pure bliss to open your lappie, BONZAI yay have it working without even a hickup. Open document BAM it's there. 6 Hours later it's still there, it doesn't need it's own private powerplant because something, whatever it is but something, is frying it's skull.

Blog Entries

Sure, though a Mac costs twice the price of the current two year old computer I am using, which is probably like three times more powerful, with options such as being able to upgrade/optional/parts etc.

Also, I can have compatible software and play games.

Pretty Win-Win.

Only time I would consider another OS is Linux. Not overpriced Mac plastic.

(Oh, I am an ex-Mac user as well, back before they switched to Intel)

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Beskar, this is not an insurmountable obstacle.

Personally, I'm in a very happy place. I'm liking Windows 7, I'm liking OS X 10.6, and I get to play with both.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

yeah i don't get the Mac attraction. I like to build my own machine and have that level of control of what's in it. Mac's aren't for people who prefer hardware/software flexibility. People rail against being locked in to Windows, but that's more of a misnception than a reality -especially when compared with a Mac...

I liked XP and I'm happy with Win7 so far. Glad I didn't get anywhere near Vista too.

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post
    yeah i don't get the Mac attraction.
    As a friend of mine who administrates a whole lot of Unix servers said to me, "You have no idea what it's like to get a Unix laptop that just works."

Look, I'm a computer slut—I like Windows, I like Linux, and I like OS X. I just plain dig computers and shiny gadgets. And I don't like it when Macheads bash Windows, or when Linux geeks bash everything that doesn't come with a GNU license, or when Win-heads bash Mac. Can't we all just get along?

Sure, though a Mac costs twice the price of the current two year old computer I am using
    Yeah but it helps if it works, it's perfectly capable of running essential programs without crashing/even working at all, and it does not have to think, you open it, and it's just there. Absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Can't we all just get along?
    LOL it would be nice wouldn't it!

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    $136 plus tax for Win7 Home Premium in Turkey? That's ridiculous. There must be discounted version. Heck, you can always get a OED version with a USB cable if it comes down to that.

Don't be fooled by the retail price. That can't hold. Not when Apple is giving away OS X 10.6 for $30 to anybody who asks, and students are snapping up Win7 for shipping. No, that can't hold.
    It doesn't.

This is Turkey and we have to pay as much as you do. Windows Vista Home Premium Turkish. ~115 USD + KDV.

We should stop using vaaaaaayyyyyreeeeeeez0rz.

Edit: Since I'd really like to keep Windows XP mode in hand, I'd like to have Windows 7 Professional.

Stop using viiiiiriiiiiiiiz, ohkay ?

FYI, on my tight budget, I own original copies of Orange Box, FM '09, Sacred 2 and Fallout series from GOG.com.
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 10-27-2009 at 16:53.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

LOL. That's been how I've cycled through OS's too. The last OS I thought I understood was W95. I missed 98 & 98SE, got ME (worked fine) then Vista (working OK for me; I don't comprehend Fragony's issues; something very bad happening there).

I know it's early days, but does anyone hold the opinion (or read one) that upgrading to W7 is a "must have"? I'd like to squeeze another year and a half out of this Vista rig I'm currently running. Can I/ should I wait that long (summer 2011)?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

If it can run Vista it can run Win7, and 90% of the drivers will work without any alteration. (And because of the driver compatibility, most hardware makers are releasing Win7 drivers as fast as they can connect to FTP).

Win7 really is Vista Mark Two. It's lighter, leaner, less intrusive and more stable. I can't think of any reason not to upgrade, although I couldn't say if that makes it "must-have." Eye of the beholder and all of that.

Blog Entries

If you are a student, get the $30 student deal. That's all there is really.

If you have to pay the $200 whatever, yeah, I would wait as well.

If you are a student, get the $30 student deal.
    Or if you know a student. Or if you know anyone with a valid .edu email address (most Universities will provide you with one if you're an alum). Or if you know anyone who builds PCs and receives promotional versions and owes you a favor. Or if your workplace has a dual-license scheme and is upgrading.

There are many, many ways to get a valid copy without paying full retail.
    Last edited by Lemur; 10-27-2009 at 17:40.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

You can get professional as a student for $30. Basically go through the process for the home premium and look for a link that says "Does your university use Domains? Get Professional for $30!" or something like that.

Just ordered mine.

Question (might make a new thread for it if you guys aren't certain) but do you know the best way to install 7 onto a dual-boot computer that has Ubuntu and XP? I'm using GRUB and don't know how 7 deals with it and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    You can get professional as a student for $30. Basically go through the process for the home premium and look for a link that says "Does your university use Domains? Get Professional for $30!" or something like that.

Just ordered mine.

Question (might make a new thread for it if you guys aren't certain) but do you know the best way to install 7 onto a dual-boot computer that has Ubuntu and XP? I'm using GRUB and don't know how 7 deals with it and vice versa.
    I don't know, but i'd say you are right to be careful -my data partition vanished when i did a custom instal on my XP partition... I'm not sure why either, although you do get the option to partition drives at one stage -not sure how the installer recognises existing partitions though.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    LOL. That's been how I've cycled through OS's too. The last OS I thought I understood was W95. I missed 98 & 98SE, got ME (worked fine) then Vista (working OK for me; I don't comprehend Fragony's issues; something very bad happening there).

I know it's early days, but does anyone hold the opinion (or read one) that upgrading to W7 is a "must have"? I'd like to squeeze another year and a half out of this Vista rig I'm currently running. Can I/ should I wait that long (summer 2011)?
    Nerds took my lunchbag it has been ball ever since. that and I am a metroman, teehee ;p

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Harvey Norman launches Windows 7 sales"
    Retail boss, Gerry Harvey, has personally sold the world's first retail copy of Windows 7. At midnight on June 21, Spiro Giokaris made the purchase in Sydney and became the world's first retail customer, shook hands with Harvey and smiled for the cameras.

Taken from ARN, Oct. 28 2009

The guy buying it looks like a dude with no job. Unshaven, long hair etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

On a somewhat divergent note, Microsoft was giving us $10 gift cards at UPenn if we basically stopped and listened to a quick Windows 7 sales pitch.

The sales pitch was expected but I didn't really pay too much attention to it since I really only wanted the gift card. Only after I got the card did I realize that it was for the For Your Entertainment online store.....which is a bummer to say the least....
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by TevashSzat View Post
    Only after I got the card did I realize that it was for the For Your Entertainment online store.....which is a bummer to say the least....
    Harsh, dude, harsh.

In why-would-you-have-thought-different news, looks like you still need to run anti-virus software on that shiny Windows 7 box.

Blog Entries

Yeah, if you want backwards compatiability, that is the price you pay.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

i have two licenses now for a grand total of £80.

got the full £50 version from Play

and used my alumni .ac.uk account to blag the £30 upgrade.

money well spent i reckon.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

does windows7 support software that originally came out for XP? For example, can I still play the games I bought a few years ago on windows7?

Is it better than XP?

We do not sow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    does windows7 support software that originally came out for XP? For example, can I still play the games I bought a few years ago on windows7?

Is it better than XP?
    Yes and Yes.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

I upgraded my Vista64 gaming box to Windows 7 and i have to say; i like it. well worth £30.

I still have my full home premium license in its box, so i am now looking forward to building a new PC in april even more than previously.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234