Thread: Sailing off...

Thumbs up Sailing off...

Well this is it. I handed my resignation in a few days ago and I will soon be a Member again.

I have decided to give up on TW games for good. The last two but one games were very disappointing and the brilliance of the first two will never be recaptured. The latest is not to my tastes so I won't be going down that route either.

In view of all of this there is not much point in me staying around moderating or posting in a subforum for a game that I no longer play and have already played to death.

I may check in here now and again, who knows.

Thank you.

Caravel

Default Re: Sailing off...

Good sailing.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Oh no, you're not going anywhere. Just like the pirate ships which spawn in lakes, you are ours...FOREVER!
    Last edited by Vladimir; 04-09-2009 at 14:53.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, that's unfortunate for the rest of us. We shall miss your presence, caravel.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

What the hell... Game over?!? ….This is both unexpected and unfortunate. I see and understand your reasons for doing this – but I do not greet these news with joy. Also, you should thank nobody since you have served others more than enough, so if anything it should be the other way around….

So, I for one would like to thank you for all your services here at the hall. I hardly ever do stuff like this, but today is an exception; this is for you Caravel

Ok boys, all together now!

Spam? So sue me...

Default Sv: Sailing off...

A pleasure to have conversed with you, and I like all others wish that you may find a new realm of enjoyable strategy games for when the urge to conquer and rule sets in again. Pity MTW seems to be all there is and most likely ever will be.... a bygone era....

This is sad news. Sorry to see you go.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I understand your reasons, but the place won't be the same without you. As a regular member, AM or full mod, you have always been a helpful and knowledgeable contributor, and will be missed. Good luck in whatever you do after, and drop by every so often if you can.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

All the best & good luck Caravel.

If we may use that picture from the Lord of the Rings as a metaphor, one may consider me to be Frodo.

For as caravel leaves to sail away, suddenly, I add - that I have given over the games and have also taken flight with him.

This is a fine little community, and a grand spot for talking about a charming game which I enjoyed very much..
    But I have many other commitments beyond this computer now, and my games are restricted to those played here on the .Org.
    And even then, my contribution there will not be longer than 2009 I believe.

I thank everyone here for their support, the fun of reporting and making such a little insignificance seem so wordly!
    And I must bid everyone the farewell that Gollum and Caravel have before me.

I hope you will forgive me for adding this in your thread Caravel - but I am not worthy of a thread all of my own for saying goodbye!

May you all have the most virtuous achievements possible in your seperate lives!

Glenn..

Thank you for everything mate, ill hope you comme back again

erm... can i have your stuff?

It is not when things are repugnant to us that we leave them behind, but rather when we just do not want them anymore.

I haven't been the most prolific member here over the last year, but there's one thing I owe to you, Caravel - culture resources. Simply invaluable.

My best to you, sir.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Good luck to you, Caravel!

Don't worry, he'll be back...

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. England.

If we are indeed using LotR as a metaphor, then I...er...Gandalf is still available, right?

I haven't been playing MTW for a while now. I did do some modifications to it, but with the mouse-over bug, I just...I can improvise, but somehow it doesn't feel quite right. Like I shouldn't have to.

I do lurk on the forums, and I've popped in here from time to time, but like Caravel and Glenn, I've sort of moved on. Until such a time that I can play MTW without Nvidia card issues, I probably won't be playing Total War anymore. Definitely not buying Empire just yet.

So, be free, Caravel, as you were born to be.

*Cheesily sings the 'Born Free' song*
    I believe in a society without rules, laws and regulations. A society where there are only ideas - strict ideas that must be followed to by the letter - and any failure to comply is punishable by death. This would be no dictatorship or police state, no one would be living in terror. It would merely be a 'reassessment of one's preferences,' people living in 'not-so-optimistic security.' So, welcome, those who are 'longing to be blindly obedient and loyal, unbeknownst to them.'

It's been a pleasure knowing you, Caravel, but I won't say goodbye at this point, because...

...I give you a year at most, after which you'll dust off that CD and have another crack at it. And then you'll be checking in to see what's happening on the forums. You know I'm right.

Same goes for all of you!

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Best of luck. May life treat you well.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Good luck in real life, Caravel. We will miss you.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Dispensing plasmids one bacteria at a time...

G'luck caravel. More likely than not, you'll come back. I started up steam this morning, saw an advert for ETW, and got a serious jonesing for MTW. I'm installing it now, and it's been about two years since I last played. Those of us that love this game cannot stay away forever.

We'll see ya then.
    "Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?"

--Fry, Futurama, the show that does not advocate the cool crime of robbery

Senior Member Senior Member gaijinalways's Avatar

I too am very sad to hear that Caravel. Even though I have had 2 CDs fall apart recently (one completely shattering in the drive), I still crave the thirst of battle!

May you thirst for a virtual challenge again.

Thanks for all your sage advice.

Best now and in the future,

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    I may check in here now and again, who knows.

Thank you.

Caravel
    Best of luck to you, Caravel, it's been a pleasure to know you here. I'm not as active with M-TW as in times past, but still come back to see what's going on now and then. Hopefully, you'll do the same and we'll all get to enjoy your wisdom and sense of humor again!

Cheers!
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Farewell, Caravel. Not that I don't understand you reasons for leaving (because I do), but it's still going to be a grayer place without you.

I'll miss you, chum. Take care.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Thank you hanging in as long as you did.

I agree with with your reasons, but the .org has lost a repository of knowledge and an extremely helpful advisor. I'll still be able to "Let's see what Caravel had to say about ..." but it just ain't the same w/o you here.

Good Fortune to you in RL

And Glenn!?

You just steered me into EB (renewing my interest in TW in general)
    Take care, and enjoy
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member Member Knight of the Rose's Avatar

Good luck out there Caravel, I completely follow you. Going back to lurker status to cool off, and then anything may happen. I think you have been very knowledgeable and friendly and I wish you all the best

/KotR
    Last edited by Knight of the Rose; 05-08-2009 at 07:38.

Well, Caravel or as I'll always remember you, Caravellini. You were one of the first tw ers I came across on the other board, and you've always been a haven of knowledge and sound advice.

My blessings, prayers and best wishes go with you - remember to watch out for, and be careful of guys in red wearing Roman style skirts.

Allahyuselimak.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)