Thread: Highest Possible Morale

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Highest Possible Morale

I only recently found out you can hit F1 before a battle starts to see your units' morale. Playing the Turkish, on Hard, I had a Ghulum general that defended Ireland six times in a row against the English, with one unit of saracen infantry, one turcoman horse, one desert archers, and one futawwas. Before the seventh battle, by that time his unit was down to only one, he had 36 morale.

This intrigued me, and he could kick ass over a single unit of fyrdmen, but he eventually routed and I bought him back. But what's the highest possible morale? Is there a limit?

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

Default Re: Highest Possible Morale

Interesting query Mongo.

Sadly I cannot provide the answer, but no doubt one of our more learned Orgahs will pass this way soon to provide the information which you seek.

While we wait, I will offer my welcome to the Main Hall!

I've posted here under a variety of names over the years. I first bought MTW and VI in a bundle back in 2004, and I'm still finding out new stuff about the game. It's one of those games I keep going back to. Even after RTW and M2TW I keep going back. This morale thing is only the most recent. It seems weird, though, that a general who sees his small army disintegrating around him over 6 battles would have his morale go up.

And, this is the first time, after 5 years of playing the game, off and on, that I really played a muslim faction, the Turkish, and enjoyed it. What with horse archers and the like, it's really a different game. I recently had another general with 35 morale, but 36 is still the highest for me.

I think the reason is when his unit is down to just him, a single man, his average morale is 36 because that is his specific morale. When there were other men in his unit, it dilluted the morale a lot.

Hello,

I think the roof for morale are about 50. I dont think that I have ever reached beyond 50 and the highest values I can remember having are about 46-48 in morale. To get that high morale you must do alot of fighting and have numerous valor-traits and stars as well. As a unit you can get probably get about 30-40. Also, remember that some buildings here and there provide additional morale bonuses (probably about +10 or so). Drone can probably fill in the blanks as to exactly how much that every building grants in the original game. Essentially its churches, monasterys and stuff like that.

- Cheers

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

The Cathedral and Grand Mosque are the best, they will give units a +3 morale bonus when trained in the province. Churches and Mosques give +1, and Monasteries and Ribats are +2, I believe. If I'm not mistaken on the mechanics, these bonuses do not stack.

This helps some, but for this case I'm guessing it was the valour of the Ghulam general. It's +2 morale for each level of valour, and as a singleton he was probably levelled pretty high. This, combined with the other command related bonuses (I'm assuming he had some good Defender-style virtues at this point) could get him into the 30s easily.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur