Thread: Hickupppppps

Default Hickupppppps

I have a pentium 4 and whenever i play the 1.2version of EB with large armies it goes well for a bit but after in a battles the speed starts to stop and start like if on hickups. When I first go onto options the system gives me that its better to play on normal then large but i prefer large. Did anyone have this problem and a possible way out?

Should I downgrade to normal??

Etienne
    Last edited by etipac; 05-02-2009 at 13:14.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hickupppppps

You should set all other options to low(or lower). Large armies themselves should not cause it.
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 05-02-2009 at 13:28.

Yes that what will I do. and will try to post back. Anyone has anymore clues...

Etienne

Set the CPU affinity to only use once processor.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

@ bovi

can you please tell me how? As I am a tech allergic person.

I reastarted a new game with Normal unit size and everything set to low but it happened again.

Thanks Once more.
    Etienne

You need to bring up the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del); then use the Processes tab to find the RTW process. Right click it and from the menu which pops up set its affinity to use only core.

I may be mistaken, but your problem could actually be due to the well known RTW problem of memory leaks, though. It doesn't help that the Pentium IV has basically the threading performance of a couple of processors back, which is to say that the memory clean up thread could be throttling the rest of the application for quite a while once it starts doing a heavy duty clean up task: I recommend to try to wait half a minute or so after fighting a battle before you continue doing anything on the strat map... See if that reduces the problem.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Thanks Tellos,

The problem occours both when I am on the campaign map and also when during a battle. When I try to move the cursor it blocks and then it moves and blocks and so forth. Do you think that might be the problem?

Etienne

So did you try Tellos' explanation on the CPU affinity?

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

So tried it but it only gives me the following...

Processes
    After I find RomeTW.exe and right click on it...
    End Process
    End Process Tree
    Debug (but grayed out)
    Set Priority (I can choose between, Low, Bellow Normal, Normal, Above Normal, High, Realtime.

Thats all...

Etienne

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    You need to bring up the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del); then use the Processes tab to find the RTW process. Right click it and from the menu which pops up set its affinity to use only core.
    Pentium 4's are single core aren't they? Would it even be possible?.
    Last edited by bobbin; 05-06-2009 at 01:59.

Of course, any way, anyone with maybe a thought for a solution please?

Thanks again
    Etienne

Good point Bobbin, I was taking it for granted that he had two CPUs . Unfortunately, that's what has fixed the problem for most. How much RAM do you have? Have you tried to run Prime95?

================
    ================

2gb ram..

Etienne

Okay, so no lack of memory problem then. The other question then?

================
    ================

Prime95? No not yet? Can you please explain on what it is about? And where to download it..

Thanks a million

I can do better than that. I can teach you how to find out about practically all kinds of stuff that people refer to which are not readily apparent. It's called searching, and it uses a new thing called the internet. A popular search engine is called Google.
    Last edited by bovi; 05-08-2009 at 05:43.

================
    ================

Good one bovi.. hehe ;-)

ll try to handle it myself. Sorry if i asked.

Etienne

If you're having problems using it, feel free to ask .

================
    ================

Anything which has hyper threading pretends to be 2 (or more) physical cores. It is not about do you _have_ two physical cores, but rather does your OS _believe_ you have 'em. Which is part of why Pentium IV perform so lousy, comparatively: there's simply a bit too much overhead involved for a processor of that 'class/age' to make that hyper threading thing somewhat of a pro instead of a con/gimmick.

And anyways: cheaper Intel Dual Core's are 2 Pentium IV's stuck on a single die, for instance the Pentium Dual Core T2310 are two Pentium's @1.46 Ghz each.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 05-08-2009 at 18:59.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

could this be a grpahics card/driver issue ?...

you don't mention your grpahics card or drivers but they can cause alsorts of problems if not right...

cheers,

Pobs