Thread: British Empire Films

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default British Empire Films

A bit of background: My neighbor collects Lee-Enfield rifles. I lent him my DVDs of Zulu and Zulu Dawn, mistakenly saying they featured Lee-Enfields, which they certainly do not, but he didn't mind. He emailed me this evening asking if I could recommend any more British Empire war flicks. He's already got the grandaddy of the genre (Lawrence of Arabia), but he'd like to see some more. After much head-scratching, here's my initial list:

Breaker Morant (the Lee-Enfield is practically a character in the film)
    The Man Who Would Be King
    Gallipoli
    The Lighthorsemen
    Khartoum

But there must be more. Weren't any rah-rah to the men in pith helmets and khaki films made after the '40s? I'm especially interested in newer films with good production values. I remember an unspeakably awful remake of The Four Feathers, but the less said about that the better.

Help me out, you historical Orgahs. What are some good British Empire late 1800s early 1900s period war films?

Default Re: British Empire Films

Would you ever consider:

The Battle of The River Plate

All The King's Men

Gunga Din

Malta Story

Bridge On The River Kwai

The Lives of Bengali Lancer
    Last edited by Incongruous; 04-27-2009 at 07:28.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Not that historical but highly entertaining: Sharpe!

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

The 1977 version of the Four Feathers was a staple of my childhood, and was usually followed by me pretending to mow down dozens of fuzzie-wuzzies in the garden with my little toy carbine. Good times
    The Charge of the Light Brigade is also good, whether you prefer the dashing yet somewhat laughingly ahistorical 1936 version with Errol Flynn and David Niven, or the more realistic, anti-establishment 1968 one with Gielgud et al.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Young Winston, featuring the original mowing down of fuzzy-wuzzies.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

It seems there was one "empire" movie about some ex-British soldier who goes with this damsel to rescue her father from some wild tribesmen who are using him to make advanced weaponry. I've only seen it once, but I didn't know if that rang any bells?
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat View Post
    It seems there was one "empire" movie about some ex-British soldier who goes with this damsel to rescue her father from some wild tribesmen who are using him to make advanced weaponry. I've only seen it once, but I didn't know if that rang any bells?
    Sounds like the plot of Top Secret.

I'd definately reccomend the 1968 version of The Charge of the Light Brigade. I've seen it twice. Every time it makes me chuckle. When the Crimean war actually starts there are animated bits based satirical catroon of the era. The one of 1000 ships salling out from between Queen Victorias legs always makes me lulz. And the one with a bear wearing an imperail crown getting poped in the face by a lion wearing a union flag shirt.

I found it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnpaCbUV2eY

And the live action bits aren't bad either.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

The majority of the Imperial personnel in Empire Strikes Back are from somewhere within the British empire's past or present domains. ~:p

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Indeed absolutely brilliant The Man Who, with two of the best one word lines ever.

'Polo?' 'Polo!'

CmacQ
    Last edited by cmacq; 04-28-2009 at 08:13.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nevermind, was already posted.
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-29-2009 at 22:15.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Master and Commander and Last of the Mohicans

CmacQ
    Last edited by cmacq; 04-30-2009 at 01:15.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

CA Re: British Empire Films

For quite a dark vision of the end of Empire, you can do a lot worse than Richard Attenborough's film version of "Oh! What a Lovely War!".
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Or for an even darker side, Carry on up the Khyber.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    I'd definately reccomend the 1968 version of The Charge of the Light Brigade..
    And strangely enough, I own that DVD. Have to add it to the pile. Thanks for reminding me!

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Or for an even darker side, Carry on up the Khyber.
    Kilt check!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Richard III
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...