Thread: Gunsmiths

Default Gunsmiths

After capturing a Native American settlement with a Gunsmith, do you keep the Gunsmith or destroy it and build up the Magistrate-->Governor's Palace line from scratch?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gunsmiths

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
    After capturing a Native American settlement with a Gunsmith, do you keep the Gunsmith or destroy it and build up the Magistrate-->Governor's Palace line from scratch?
    -nt
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I wonder why this thread was top of page in the news, no matter.

As a general rule I demolish it and build the magistrate line to allow better repression for one thing. The proviso of course is that you may want to trade one of these usually economically poor provinces immediately for something else like another province in a more strategic place, or a trade agreement, protectorate or techs. Then I wouldn't waste the money to demolish usually is was damaged anyway when you took the place.

On general building demolition I suspect this is a neglected part of many peoples game, most importantly is demolishing other religion buildings and building your own, also using wealthy towns for economic purposes rather than a school or religious thing, leaving poor one to do those jobs.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor1952 View Post
    On general building demolition I suspect this is a neglected part of many peoples game, most importantly is demolishing other religion buildings and building your own, also using wealthy towns for economic purposes rather than a school or religious thing, leaving poor one to do those jobs.
    Not always the case though, IMO. I took Tunis and kept the religious building that was there in place. My faction is Protestant, I have 0% Christianity and 100% Islam and I've never had any problems with them, I even tax them and have a university there and I've never had any problems with them. I think the level of reglious unrest is minimal, I'd have to double check though.

BUT.....

I do have a rather large garrison in the city so although everyone loves me, whos to say what will happen if I move most of my army into the near by fort or leave the city without a garrison altogether.

Ok I'm surprised no-one mentioned this, but Gunsmiths provide +800 to region wealth and do not conduct Animism conversion. It costs minimal funds and one turn to repair it, while the magistrate line requires many turns and thousands of gold to get it to +3 repression/+6% tax level.

I second Razor1952's town-optimisation advice. In my French game I moved all but one of my Euro universities to former Iroquois territories whilst I demolished wealthy pleasure palaces, universities and churches. I built crafts buildings in their place. I also shipped most of my gentlemen to my overseas universities. This move cost me significant money and research points but in the long run I think it was worth it. I had a policy of one university per region and they must always be paired with a pleasure palace to balance out the unrest. The numerous very poor towns in the former Iroquois territories afforded me that opportunity.

Blog Entries

Ok I'm surprised no-one mentioned this, but Gunsmiths provide +800 to region wealth and do not conduct Animism conversion. It costs minimal funds and one turn to repair it, while the magistrate line requires many turns and thousands of gold to get it to +3 repression/+6% tax level.

I second Razor1952's town-optimisation advice. In my French game I moved all but one of my Euro universities to former Iroquois territories whilst I demolished wealthy pleasure palaces, universities and churches. I built crafts buildings in their place. I also shipped most of my gentlemen to my overseas universities. This move cost me significant money and research points but in the long run I think it was worth it. I had a policy of one university per region and they must always be paired with a pleasure palace to balance out the unrest. The numerous very poor towns in the former Iroquois territories afforded me that opportunity.
    Why is that even needed? Here is a strategy for you.

Build all your universities in your home region, if unrest attempts to rise in any shape or form, you can just garrison a couple of dragoons. (This is also because of population enabling your universities to become universities)

Everywhere else - Just build industry/workshops.

It's that simple. If you want to force a revolution, it is really easy as well. You never ever have to build churches or pleasure places in the game.
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-28-2009 at 07:25.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Build all your universities in your home region, if unrest attempts to rise in any shape or form, you can just garrison a couple of dragoons.
    Too bad the French can't build dragoons in continental Europe. But police garrisons are quite expensive to maintain anyhow.
    (This is also because of population enabling your universities to become universities)
    I assume you mean Modern Universities. Yes they are available only in my home region and I shall consider building another one. But I certainly won't build more than two.
    It's that simple. If you want to force a revolution, it is really easy as well. You never ever have to build churches or pleasure places in the game.
    Unfortunately I'm one of those Absolute Monarchy fanatics who want absolute control over his cabinet. And thankfully I do not have Carlos II.

Blog Entries

France can build Light Dragoons, they have the same garrison bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    France can build Light Dragoons, they have the same garrison bonus.
    Wrong.

I checked in-game as well. Light Dragoons are not available to the French faction without modding.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Wrong.

I checked in-game as well. Light Dragoons are not available to the French faction without modding.
    France can build colonial light dragoons.
    Tosa Inu

Jebus, why are we still talking about dragoons.

Colonial Dragoons != Colonial Light Dragoons (don't exist) != Light Dragoons

Like I said, the French cannot recruit dragoons (of any sort) in Continental Europe.

How about getting back on topic, which is Gunsmiths.

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    I think the level of reglious unrest is minimal, I'd have to double check though.
    Yes there is, there's loads. Because the religion of that region is different to your state, you get religious unrest. But all religious buildings provide their religious happiness regardless, so it appears reduced. Say the region naturally has -5 religious unrest because it's all Islam and your state religion is different. You've got the Mosque providing +4 religious happiness, so in the final calculation, the game tells you your total religious unrest is -1.

If you took the time to convert the population, you'd have no religious unrest and +4 'religious happiness'. The game doesn't make all the things causing religious happiness and unhappiness visible, it calculates them for you and you get to see the final result, which looks to you like a small amount of unrest when actually you've got tons merely being countered by the happiness provided by the mosque.

I personally only discovered this when I thought the same thing as you about an area "oh, not much religious unrest there, I can stuff in another factory instead"....then the religious unrest went up by four after I smashed the church down.
    Love is a well aimed 24 pounder howitzer with percussion shells.

I always demolish native capital buildings. I also always demolish churches and pleasure palaces regardless of where they are and universities too, especially if their town is Growing or better. Universities should be placed on your Very Poor towns, leaving the others to benefit from the prosperity.
    Fac et Spera