Thread: Difference?

Default Difference?

Sorry for my 'stupid' question people. I am playing with the Romani but can someone tell me the difference between units which have Maniple,Hoptile,Spear in them?

2more things...

Whats the main difference between and light and heavy troops?

And if a roman legion consisted of approx. 4800/5000units how do you calculate a legion in the game?

Thanks
    Etienne

Default Re: Difference?

Dig up Quintus Sertorius thread of roman troops etc, it has the list of everything such as units/ auxilaries/ and allies of a camillian/ polybian legion and their formations,

but to answer your question

Camillian troops
    Hastati- Sword armed light infantry
    Princepes- spear armed heavy infantry
    Triarii- Veteren infantry hoplites

Polybian
    Hastati- Sword armed light infantry
    Princepes-sword armed heavy infantry
    Triarii- spear armed heavy veteren infantry

Marian-
    Sword armed levied heavy professional infantry

Basically the hastati is the light infantry, theyre suppose to take the brunt of the first wave, wittle the enemy down and tire them out.

Then the princepes advance to hold the line or to break the enemy and drive them back while giving the hastati rest
    Triarii is for last resort in which they will need to hold the line if all else fails
    (hardly ever used but when used, it means it is the turning point of the battle)
    Last edited by teh1337tim; 04-29-2009 at 03:20.
    Epic Balloon for my Roma ->

Sure -

Maniple = square of men / one in-game unit. Any unit actually; historically armies were not neatly sub-divided into "units" as they are in the game. Except for the roman army. It had =>maniples<=.
    This is why they won so many wars...

Hop-tile = no idea... Units that can skip every second tile maybe, thus giving them much range and the ability to bypass enemies blocking the way, but also limiting them to two-forward-one-sideways-moves or one-forward-two-sideways...
    SERIOUSLY, they are called H O P L I T E S or Hoplitai - very, VERY important. It is essentially the ancient greek word for "infantry soldier" or more literally "armed ones" iirc.
    Hoplites fight in a "phalanx" formation, meaning they stand very close by each other, the shields of the front row overlap, giving very good cover, and the spears of the first three rows can all be brought to bear on the enemy. Also, the men in the ranks behind the front rank lean on the men before them, pushing them. The front rank in turn pushes the enemy. It is like the opposite of rope-pulling: they topple their opponents, then they trample them and the ranks behind the front use their spears to finish the enemies lying on the ground off with their spears; a potentially very fast method of killing very many enemies. In the game, only the shield wall and multiple spears protruding from the front can be adequately represented. The roman camillan triarii are a typical hoplite-type unit. Use them on defend-mode for maximum effect and try to force the enemy to attack them from the front.

Calculating legions in the game... Really, there are dozens of threads about this. Being a Geek-fan myself I do not know the current canon on what counts as a fair representation, but take the two Roman starting armies as a hint: Together, they should form a complete legion. Main point: you're not supposed to field armies consisting entirely of triarii or the likes.
    I suppose someone with more in-depth knowledge about the romans should answer this one though.
    Or try a search - "historic roman army" or "accurate roman legion" or the likes.
    Also, check the "legion vs phalanx battle" thread (it is about a multiplayer tournament and contains a lot of discussion about what is plausible for a Roman army and what is not).

I hope this helps...

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

Thanks for your answers. That was helpfull

Etienne

Quote Originally Posted by teh1337tim View Post
    Dig up quintis serious thread of roman troops etc, it hass the list of everything such as units/ auxilaries/ and allies of a camillian/ polybian legion and their formation
    So that you can find the thread - his name is
    "Quintus Sertorius" and the thread is in the "Gameplay guide and AAR" sub-forum.
    Just click here.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.