Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Force One photo op causes thousands to flee NYC buildings in terror

Default Re: Air Force One photo op causes thousands to flee NYC buildings in terror

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Heh. We did that once (or similar): tasked to permanently move 2 Mil Pol companies from Calif to Tacoma in 90 days, we encountered so much red tape and bureaucratic crap that we almost gave up. Then the Ops NCO had a *flash*: Conduct a Field Training Exercise (FTX), ostensibly practicing convoy protection, from San Fran to Fort Lewis.

And just never come back. So we did, and didn't. Worked like a charm, and was actually cheaper, and quicker, than going the "permanent change of station" route.

So, yeah, I can see (from an Air Force point of view) the way to cover this is to call it an exercise in evasive maneuvers for AF1, and "chase-and-target" for the f16's. Brilliant, in an accounting sense.

Still... I wanna see the photos.
    Nah, they were just teaching the pilot to fly in circles.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Air Force One photo op causes thousands to flee NYC buildings in terror

I'm pretty darn confuzzled as to who on earth thought this was a brilliant idea. Personally, I think if they wanted a photo of air force one with Lady Liberty, they should have just photoshopped it.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

also, doesnt AF1 have to follow the prez around? so if theres an emergency he can get on ASAP. it would be horrible if there was a disaster as that pilot was doing his shinanegans up there.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Interesting, NYPD knew about it, the 911 dispatchers knew about it, the State Government knew about it. The Mayor's "event coordination and management director" knew. So why didn't Bloomberg? And why were police and emergency services told not to alert the public? And who exactly signed off on this?

The person falling on his sword over this is Louis Caldera, director of the White House Military Office. Hard to tell if he's really the person responsible, though. For some reason people have been getting mad at the FAA, so I wonder if something was greenlit there. Interesting.

Good for them. Thousands of people in Manhattan, having faced the possibility of death, now have a renewed appreciation for life. You can almost feel the goodwill towards there fellow men bubbling up inside the hearts of every New Yorker.

just don't think it is fair to compare the experiences, especially in a way that seems to mock New Yorkers for some kind of lacking fortitude.
    Hey I don't mock new yorkers (unless they are presnt and I wish to take the piss out of them) , but 9/11 gave very mixed reactions from the crowd (mainly disbelief) , by the time of anthrax it was just a bunch of annoying panicing headless chichens running like crazy and making it hard for me to get where I had to go (OK they didn't make it that hard for me if I was willing to leave the missus behind , but hey I wouldn't abandon the poor creature on the way to the pub in a crisis no matter how many panic stricken new yorkers are trying to rush downwind in a blind panic)

also, doesnt AF1 have to follow the prez around?
    It wasn't airforce 1
    Last edited by Tribesman; 04-29-2009 at 19:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post
    It wasn't airforce 1
    ...it wasnt? so why is everyone saying AF1?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

It be becausen they do be slightly thick like all them human beans do be

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    It was the backup plane.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

nm.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 04-29-2009 at 20:25.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

A plane is called Air Force One only when it is operated by the USAF and the President is on board. Just like any aircraft (helo) operated by the USMC is called Marine One, but only when carrying the President. This is just the air traffic control call sign while flying, the aircraft themselves have unique tail numbers. Air Force Two is the ATC call sign of whatever USAF plane is carrying the Vice President.

There are 2 VC-25s (747s) that normally carry the president around, this was one of them. The other was probably parked at Andrews AFB, ready for duty.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

I'm just amazed: it's been over 48 hours, and it's not yet George Bush's fault.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

edit, nvm, way to graphic
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-30-2009 at 13:08.

Still, we must remain vigilant.
    This space intentionally left blank

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Too late, Kukri-san. Schumer was already sniping about the FAA being part of the problem for having been run by a "political hack" under the previous admin (position is as yet unfilled in the new admin). So, we can take comfort in the fact that W malfed this one too.

I am almost of the belief that we made a mistake outlawing the Code Duello. I suspect that a bit of Burr v Hamilton action would clarify our political snarls a touch -- or at least leave cleaner wounds on the combatants.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12