Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Force One photo op causes thousands to flee NYC buildings in terror

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Air Force One photo op causes thousands to flee NYC buildings in terror

I haven't noticed this brought up anywhere, which is surprising....

Basically, someone in the Obama administration decided it would be nice to have pictures of Air Force One flying over the Statue of Liberty. They apparently notified a few city officials -not the mayor- and also asked the people they did tell to keep the flight a secret. So, what people saw when they looked out their office windows was a 747 flying extremely low and right towards the city....

Corzine said the state is determined to learn more about the "photo op" that led thousands of workers -- still haunted by the memories of 9/11 -- to flee their high-rise office buildings at the unexpected sight of the huge, low-flying passenger jet over the Hudson River.
    Many people were understandably scared by this, having lived thru 9/11 and thousands of them fled their office buildings in terror, fearing an attack.

So who in the administration thought this was a good idea, and why aren't they fire?
    Second, why do people get so worked up over executive bonuses and not over the government spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to get a nice photo? There's this new thing out, called photoshop- I know it's pricey, but I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than flying a jumbo jet around.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 04-29-2009 at 06:00.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Air Force One photo op causes thousands to flee NYC buildings in terror

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Basically, someone in the Obama administration decided it would be nice to have pictures of Air Force One flying over the Statue of Liberty. They apparently notified a few city officials -not the mayor- and also asked ordered and threatened the people they did tell to keep the flight a secret.
    Corrected!

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Air Force One photo op causes thousands to flee NYC buildings in terror

It is also silly that they are flying an empty jumbo jet around, days after Earth Day.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Well if Corzine's getting to the bottom of this...

whoever's responsible is completely safe unless driving with him.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Stupid but the reaction is rather amusing. AWW MY GAWD!!1!, keeping it cool ain't the New Yorker's forte it seams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN57C98B310

Well, I can see how it might have been somewhat scary if you were in a tall building but then what do you do if you live close to the approach of JFK? Get a heart attack every 5 minutes?
    Yes, wasn't very clever to keep it a secret but then if it had been public and someone actually shot it down, people would have complained that they didn't keep it secret.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Did thousands of people flee their offices in panic when the airliner made its landing in the river ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post
    Did thousands of people flee their offices in panic when the airliner made its landing in the river ?
    Are you going to compare the heroic efforts of a pilot to STOP a jet from crashing into buildings with the administration's wastefull and ill-considered decision to fly a massive jet that close to the site of such a disaster so that they could take some photos? Sorry Tribes, but it doesn't hold water. (no pun intended)
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Vuk Again View Post
    Are you going to compare the heroic efforts of a pilot to STOP a jet from crashing into buildings with the administration's wastefull and ill-considered decision to fly a massive jet that close to the site of such a disaster so that they could take some photos? Sorry Tribes, but it doesn't hold water. (no pun intended)
    Uhm..... What? I'm pretty sure you missed the point completely...

Forget the pilots, they have nothing to do with it, unless of course you believe that the people in tall buildings are able to read his mind. So, what we have are two situations of a low-flying aircraft in NYC. This one caused panic. Did the other one cause panic? If not, why not? Or rather, why did this one cause a stir?

It's not like anyone can look at a low-flying plane and say "oh my, that's a brave and heroic pilot about to save a dozen or lives", or "oh my, Obama's out flashing his cash again"....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Uhm..... What? I'm pretty sure you missed the point completely...

Forget the pilots, they have nothing to do with it, unless of course you believe that the people in tall buildings are able to read his mind. So, what we have are two situations of a low-flying aircraft in NYC. This one caused panic. Did the other one cause panic? If not, why not? Or rather, why did this one cause a stir?

It's not like anyone can look at a low-flying plane and say "oh my, that's a brave and heroic pilot about to save a dozen or lives", or "oh my, Obama's out flashing his cash again"....
    I am pretty sure that there WAS a lot of panic with the Hudson case, but it was over really quickly, where as Obama's jet circled for a long time and people had no idea what was gonna happen.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I'm pretty sure some were frightened, but the scale is a little different. A 747 is more than 100ft longer, 80ft wider and weighs about 10x as much as an A320.

Also, if you're going to be scaring people, I think that an actual emergency is a far better reason than a photo op. I mean, plane crashes usually do involve people being scared- almost by definition.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I'm pretty sure some were frightened, but the scale is a little different. A 747 is more than 100ft longer, 80ft wider and weighs about 10x as much as an A320.

Also, if you're going to be scaring people, I think that an actual emergency is a far better reason than a photo op. I mean, plane crashes usually do involve people being scared- almost by definition.
    My point exactly (though more eloquently put to be sure). Also, do think of the time difference. The A320 wooshed by and that was all. The 747 was circling for a long time, giving plenty of people a chance to see it, and no doubt making wonder about its purpose.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

spending hundreds of thousands of dollars
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Security & organisation, two f16 on the tail, easily.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Air Force One photo op causes thousands to flee NYC buildings in terror

I saw this on the news. Incredible. Who in their right mind would think that flying around a huge airplane below skyscraper level in NY would be a good idea!? Without proper notification of the populace? What, they were on Mars the past decade and missed the news or something?

The News of the Weird thread carried a similar story about Sydney, (Melbourne?) some time ago. I think it was a military excersize involving a low flying aircraft over Sydney harbour, without proper advance notification. It created a lot of panic, anger afterwards. That's the other side of the world. To pull this stunt in lower Manhattan beggers belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    So who in the administration thought this was a good idea, and why aren't they fired?
    Who? Someone in the lower levels of the air force. Apparantly, this someone still followes the directives of the Bush' administration. Namely, that in the interest of 'Homeland Security' the balance between governmental secrecy and citizen's rights should be unreasonably shifted towards the government.

Obama is furious. Rightfully so. I even wonder, did someone in the air force pull this stunt to obstruct the administration? I mean, their explanation for the order of secrecy is that they hoped to keep this secret. That is, fly in, get a picture, and be gone without anybody noticing it. Like, nobody would notice a low flying 747?

Maybe the hope was that, as always, in some time the details of a story will be forgotten. And that all that would linger in the public's memory is 'Obama's plane circling around NY for fun!!1! Insensitive! Obama administration has no respect for 9-11! Unpatriotic! Obama doesn't care for homeland security!'
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 04-29-2009 at 11:22.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

So you mean the president's machine would be even easier to identify from the ground? Or does noone in the US know what the air force one looks like?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    So you mean the president's machine would be even easier to identify from the ground? Or does noone in the US know what the air force one looks like?
    Look at the picture at the top of the page and tell me, if you were that guy, do you think that you would have recognised it?

So the 320 is more like the planes used on 9/11 then

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Stupid but the reaction is rather amusing. AWW MY GAWD!!1!, keeping it cool ain't the New Yorker's forte it seams
    I think that's a little harsh. After the events of September 2001, I think it's an entirely understandable reaction. I remember the harrowing film by those French photographers that captured the plane flying overhead as they recorded a normal workday for the Fire department - and the sheer horror that dawned as it went straight into the tower.

The flyover seems utterly crass and deeply insensitive. There is absolutely no reason why this couldn't have been publicised, or better done elsewhere. It will be interesting to see who authorised the flight.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Well it's a bit much, maybe we have icewater instead of blood but nobody would react like that here, would you? Nor in England by the way, was at Kings Cross station, there was a bomb alert, everybody just calmly walked to the exit, no need to run around in circles. Americans appear to be a little twitchy.

Well it's a bit much, maybe we have icewater instead of blood but nobody would react like that here, would you? Nor in England by the way, was at Kings Cross station, there was a bomb alert, everybody just calmly walked to the exit, no need to run around in circles. Americans appear to be a little twitchy.
    What the victims of 911 suffered was completely horrible. I can understand evacuating buildings when there is a completely unexplained, massive jet flying at that level. Who would want to take a chance?

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

I just wanna see the photos obtained at such a price - and hope the photog didn't forget to take the lens-cap off.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

What the victims of 911 suffered was completely horrible. I can understand evacuating buildings when there is a completely unexplained, massive jet flying at that level. Who would want to take a chance?
    That I fully understand,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN57C98B310

^- that I don't, it tickles my ffs-get-a-hold-of-yourself

Frag has a point there Banquo , you lived over the water for a good few years didn't you ,how many terrorism incidents/scares did you go through .
    The reactions in NY I have experienced during attacks/suspected attacks is completely different from those I experienced in Britain .

I just wanna see the photos obtained at such a price
    It was done on the cheap Kukri , they combined the photo op with a regular training exercise .
    Last edited by Tribesman; 04-29-2009 at 13:35.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

This is an epic facepalm moment.

I don't understand why anyone would defend this, it is enough to make Bush look intelligent.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Perhaps, perhaps not. It ought to be remembered that a lot of the those who stayed stoically in the Twin Towers died when the second plane hit, and more later when they actually collapsed (despite the widespread belief that they couldn't collapse).

I consider myself pretty unflappable, yet I flinch at loud bangs like car backfires because of some experiences. I wouldn't disparage people who have gone through or even heard about the events of 11th September for a reaction to that flyover, least of all because of how deeply I feel the events of that day and I wasn't even on the same continent.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    Frag has a point there Banquo , you lived over the water for a good few years didn't you ,how many terrorism incidents/scares did you go through .
    The reactions in NY I have experienced during attacks/suspected attacks is completely different from those I experienced in Britain .
    I understand what you are saying, but one can get used to these events much more when they are expected and regular. The US had not been attacked quite like that before and one must admit, it was far greater in scale than most of the stuff we had to put up with. I just don't think it is fair to compare the experiences, especially in a way that seems to mock New Yorkers for some kind of lacking fortitude.
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 04-29-2009 at 13:42. Reason: Response to post made while I was writing
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Air Force One photo op causes thousands to flee NYC buildings in terror

Americans appear to be a little twitchy.
    Come on, Frags. You're being unemphatic to the point of being insensitive.
    Like, you know...last time an airplane flew there several thousand died and stuff? (<- denotes US-style question mark pronunciation)
    If I were a New Yorker, I'd be more than a bit twitchy about a plane, chased by two jets, flying back and forth four times at low altitude.

More in general, apart from the horror, what struck me during 9-11 was actually the very calmness of New Yorkers. Disciplined, composed, practical. This, not their twitchyness stands out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BG
    It will be interesting to see who authorised the flight.
    I was wondering about thaat as well. Here's an extensive article in the
    NYT.

Maybe the old wisdom holds true: don't ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

At least they were not trampling each other and stuff. :P While I hope I would have remained calmer and been more logical in that situation, you have to remember that they were very confused, and there was no logical explaination as to why a jet that size would be flying around that low except that there could be another horrible repeat of 911. Their reaction really wasn't 'over the top'.

Their reaction really wasn't 'over the top'.
    I disagree, they just panic, just start running, towards the crash had there been one. Running towards buildings when you are in the open without any glass around you, good thinking.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

It was done on the cheap Kukri , they combined the photo op with a regular training exercise .
    Heh. We did that once (or similar): tasked to permanently move 2 Mil Pol companies from Calif to Tacoma in 90 days, we encountered so much red tape and bureaucratic crap that we almost gave up. Then the Ops NCO had a *flash*: Conduct a Field Training Exercise (FTX), ostensibly practicing convoy protection, from San Fran to Fort Lewis.

And just never come back. So we did, and didn't. Worked like a charm, and was actually cheaper, and quicker, than going the "permanent change of station" route.

So, yeah, I can see (from an Air Force point of view) the way to cover this is to call it an exercise in evasive maneuvers for AF1, and "chase-and-target" for the f16's. Brilliant, in an accounting sense.

Still... I wanna see the photos.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast