Thread: changing the citynames

Default changing the citynames

without losing the "save" option, i tried in imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt but saving after having one of the renamed cities was disabled, also autosave
    and I hadn't found any txt for the EAEM submod, where I can change the ones of the submod

someone's could help?

Default Re: changing the citynames

You cannot rename cities. The script calls upon both the internal and external names for all settlements. Changing just one will cause the script to not complete.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Default AW: Re: changing the citynames

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    You cannot rename cities. The script calls upon both the internal and external names for all settlements. Changing just one will cause the script to not complete.

Foot
    okay, thanks for fast help Foot

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: changing the citynames

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    When I change settlement names in-game, will that also ruin the script? Cause MAA didn't mention such.

Quote Originally Posted by MAA
    Yeah, renaming cities can cause problems, but since Antiocheia is easily renamed back to its original name (unlike some of the Germanic cities) I took the chance. The three big things renaming a city does is 1- completely screws up the city for the AI (I don't plan on loosing the city ever again), 2- messes up reform code (Makedonia doesn't have reforms), and 3- messes up victory conditions (I'll change the name back for one turn, once I have all the other requirements so that I might get the victory screen). I don't think there are any traits for Makedonia that require Antiocheia either.
    Does it ruin the entire script (the money-giving things too)?

Then I would have my explanation why the Romans did not obtain their reforms in my campaign although I set the conditions so. I'm also waiting for the Casse invasion, but the Yuezhi invasion on the other hand did occur.
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 05-07-2009 at 21:56.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

It only messes up scripts that reference city names. I think the money script is based on numbers of cities and not their names (though it doesn't matter if you hold the city, since you don't get money scripts). If you plan to permanently hold the city and their aren't any scripts/reforms directly related to that city, then it shouldn't mess up the script.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

I plan on renaming a few cities in my campaing AFTER I get reforms. Will that ruin anything?

4x
    1x

It shouldn't tremendously. If you hold the city for the rest of the game and don't have any more reforms coming, it shouldn't do too much. You may never see the victory message, if you haven't already, though. Again, if there may be a script specifically about that town that may mess up, if the enemy takes the town there will be slight problems, and there may be little things like victory conditions.

There isn't much problem in changing city names if you keep them, but you may not want to just to be safe.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Can you change the name for a while, and then change it back to the origonal name to get the victory conditions?

4x
    1x

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliyi View Post
    Can you change the name for a while, and then change it back to the origonal name to get the victory conditions?
    For some cities. You cannot type in any non-standard characters in game. Some of the Germanic names cannot be retyped because of the odd characters in them. I don't think you can even type a space for ingame renaming...

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: changing the citynames

Oh, I remember renaming cities back to obtain the victory screen, worked flawlessly.

You can type a space, but not a dash (-).

So you don't think I messed up the AI-Romans' reforms? It's just about the number of settlements they hold, and the Casse settlements I did never touch (nor the Galloroman ones).
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 05-08-2009 at 21:05.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

What about the changing the preferences and change the names ingame? That doesnt mess anything up right (not that I do it)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What about the changing the preferences and change the names ingame? That doesnt mess anything up right (not that I do it)?
    Changing to the preferences file to allow you to change city names does not do any damage, but actually changing them in game is what does...