Thread: questions and comments.

Default questions and comments.

Hey guys I'm back.First time playing MTW2.Use to play MTW all the time.

This game is good, on the battle field,not so much on the map.

Why couldn't they use the same map system from MTW and add some stuff!

I'm playing as the Irish in the Britannia campaign.

I got trading rights with a faction, but don't know how to trade.

Also wtf is up with this (I am a noob):

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir View Post
    If you are playing M/M, any faction is good. In fact, there is no chance the AI will ever beat you really

ive one my first two campaighn battles on easy,but lost like two custom battles in easy.

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

Default Re: questions and comments.

The map makes the game last longer. I can remember blitzing MTW in about 50 turns If I took my time. Personally I find it much better than MTW.

When you get trading rights, it just means that your cities and ports will start sending carts and ships to the other countries. You see lines between the ports and cart travelling on the road.

On medium, I rarely get beaten by the AI. Tempted to move it up to hard/very hard for my next full campaign. You'll get the hang of battles. But dpends on who you play. Some factions have HA which can affect the tide of battle. England gets superior archers meaning that they play more a hold the line strategy.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Eric, all trade rights really do is to give your merchant agents a one third bonus to income if they are on a resource in that country. A city will trade by road with all other cities that are connected directly to those roads. So Paris is not going to trade by road with London or Cairo. Sea trade is usually with the closest cities and requires a port. Most often, your cities will be trading with your other cities.You can see which cities a settlement trades with by clicking one of the city icons dealing with trade (I don't have the game in front of me right now.).
    If you have played MTW, then battles shouldn't be a problem for you. I play very hard/very hard, and I never lose. Just get some practice or post some details so we can see what you might do better.
    Sometimes good people must kill bad people to protect the rest of the people.

I just don't know why they didn't keep the way you move units and then limit how far you can move.

Instead of the people walking slow to there destination.

The cities are a bit confusing and I have no idea what forts do.

Ill tell you guys what happens to me with trading and things in battles later.

Thanks for the help!

If you haven't already, you should read the M2TW FAQ and Strategy Tips sticky in this forum. Not only it answers most of your questions, it will improve your game a lot! Here's the link: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=72109

Also, a couple of points:

1- Press the space bar so armies, agents and etc will move faster on the strategic map;
    2- Cities grow fast, make more money and produce weaker units; Castles grow slowly, make less money and produce strong units. Forts are just small wooden forts where you can station your troops and can only be attacked if the enemy siege it. Especially good for defending chokepoints in the strategic map, stall an enemy army or protect your own troops in enemy territory.

But really, read the FAQ, it's all in there, and good luck.
    “Time is a created thing. To say “I don’t have time” is to say, “I don’t want to.”" – Lao Tzu

Checked out part of the guide couldn't find how to build forts.

Ive figured out how to trade (I think) and the battles are getting easier.

Well I'm on turn 20 on my English campaign and its been going good

I'm not sure when i should launch a crusade, but that would be cool.

Ive managed to take a few rebel provinces around me.

France has been a good ally and I'm not sure if i should attack the Scots.

Also can"t find how to recruit mercenaries.

Any other pointers would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ericrocks; 05-01-2009 at 02:10.

If you click on a general outside of a settlement, then on the lower right hand side of the screen are two icons, one of a tower and the other of a helmet with some gold coins next to it. Left click the tower icon to build forts and watchtowers or the helmet to hire mercenaries. You cannot build a watchtower in a region that is not yours nor can you build either if you are next to another AI unit or an existing structure like a resource or another fort/watchtower. These cost florins to build. Also, mercenaries are not always available and different mercenaries are available in different regions. Guides for England are available in the M2TW Guides directory.
    Last edited by Agent Miles; 05-01-2009 at 13:48.

Does where my ships are located effect my trade?

No, it shouldn't. We don't have any explicit control over trade in METW2.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

I really don't want to appear rude, but: have you read the manual? Almost all of your questions are answered in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by anweRU View Post
    No, it shouldn't. We don't have any explicit control over trade in METW2.
    The one thing that you can control is lifting any blockades of your ports (i.e., attack and drive off any ships that are blockading your port); if it's blockaded then the trade is cut off and it hurts your economy.

Zoodling Millipede Member Ariovistus Maximus's Avatar

Being somewhat of a noob myself, I have a question.

I just fought a battle playing as HRE. I'm new to M2TW, but I've had RTW for a while.

M/M, I've ruined the Milanese, Danes, Poles, Hungarians, and am just about done with France. I really like it! The campaign strategy has a few more layers than RTW, which makes it quite engrossing (and more difficult IMO).

So the English, like the five dead factions before them, declared war on me for fun. (BTW it seems that when you're #1 all the AI factions are automatically out for your head, even worse than RTW.)

And so I put a grand army together; the best High Middle Age army I could get:

2 Gothic Knights
    2 Imperial Knights
    6 Zwei Handers (they are my question)
    2 Dismounted Feudal Knights
    2 Armored Sergeants
    6 Peasant Crossbowmen

And I sailed them and another full-stack (with a higher % of militia) to England.

And then I engaged a big army of English, just glorying in the ruin I would bring on them.

Ruin them I did, but woooooaaahh... and now I get to my question:

WHAT IN THE WORLD do you do with Zwei Handers? Their description indicates that they are basically the front line of assault troops.

They were stopped cold by English Dismounted Feudal Knights, and would have been annihilated by some English Armored Swordsmen, if my cavalry hadn't been so extraordinarily effective.

I was under the impression that the HRE forges its empire with Zwei Handers and Gothic Knights. The Goths were phenomenal; the Zwei Handers impressed me in the opposite direction. They were pathetic. And their stats are pretty low, really. They're better than the "Dismounted English Knights" line of units (foot knights with polearms), but not by much.

What in the world is wrong with them? I'm tempted to go into the files and mod them with higher stats, or at LEAST make them "effective against armor."

Anyways I'm wondering what you're supposed to do with them? Am I using them wrong? It seemed pretty obvious that they are intended to be assault troops.
    OF DESTINY AND DUTY: A GALATIAN AAR
    Preview of the Week:

And then check out my ANCIENT WEAPONS STUDY

My balloons: x 8

The Zweihander use two-handed heavy swords (as their German name implies). As such, they have no shield and their stats show they are not highly trained or disciplined. So they are the basic flanker, with a great charge and not much defense/staying power. Perhaps 6 Armored Sergeants to hold the line and 2 Zweihanders to flank would be a better mix?

Zoodling Millipede Member Ariovistus Maximus's Avatar

Aaaah; flanking! That makes much more sense, for indeed they have very little staying power.

OK, I will try this. Actually, I won the HRE campaign already.

It was kind of annoying; I hate blitzing, as it makes the game so monotonous, but I was surrounded by all these factions who wanted to declare war on me for the fun of it, so I had no choice but to kill 'em off.

And then killing them off made their allies angry, so their allies declared war and I had to kill them off...

And by the time I was done killing off all these dorks that ganged up on me, I had the 45 regions!

So this time I am trying Spain. The Reconquiesta is all done, and now I'm just biding my time, making $$$, and assassinating neighboring characters. And seizing assets with merchants (that is so much fun).

It is much more enjoyable to take it slow, and do it more realistically. But still, France and Milan keep declaring war on me; really obnoxious.

I have a HUGE army in Tolouse (S. France), which is my boundary. Milan walks up with a big army, sees I have a better army, then walks away and declares war on me to blockade my port. Odd.

Anyways, thanks for the advice! I've used the Zweihanders in the Battle of Pavia quite well, and that was for flanking. But I thought they must be good as line units too. WRONGO!
    Last edited by Ariovistus Maximus; 06-26-2009 at 00:39.
    OF DESTINY AND DUTY: A GALATIAN AAR
    Preview of the Week:

And then check out my ANCIENT WEAPONS STUDY

My balloons: x 8