Thread: I have some questions :-)

Default I have some questions :-)

Ok, im really mad about that AI money and other bonuses it gets. Im not complaining about it when i play Makedonia, Epeiros and other "easy" factions (dont get me wrong: but Pahlava is nigh-nigh-impossible with all these reforms and a tone and tone of expensive buildings you must build to have reforms/economy/public order... done)... But, now, when i play Pahlav campaign, it makes me mad! So, i would like to know:

1) Can i modify EB script (and how) so the AI gets less money bonus than usual?

-Man! - I have 25 cities, can afford one fullstack while AS (10 cities) and Baktria (1 city) spam me every single turn with their fullstacks and its not reallistic anymore... you know, they should have been on their knees after all i did to them, but no: they are stronger than ever, and they will crush me..

2) Modify the EB script so i can get money bonus as well, just as AI does (and how can i modify the script to do so)

I just want better economy-balance when playing nomad faction, thats all!

Default Re: I have some questions :-)

Just out of interest what difficulty are you playing on?

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcmar View Post
    Just out of interest what difficulty are you playing on?

Im playing on M/M

The problem is: i have made a really big empire with my H/As, i spare my money just for buildings and reforms and i did it quite well (as a matter of fact: ive conquered most of AS with a bunch of H/As and some mercenary phalanx and managed to have some reformed buildings), and after i somehow managed to build some of my cities: damn AS and Baktria AI-granted fullstacks are going to capture my hardly-build cities! Its just not fair man! They should beg for mercy right now, but no: they bring death to my lands, my hardly-earned provinces... i just hate them, man....

The issue is: with Pahlava you must build many expensive buildings to get horse archers, and, when you have reformed government after some time, you have to build all those expensive barracks all over again, and bazzars, and everything... its just TOO EXPENSIVE.. you have money either for army either for buildings... its really get me mad

If you want to keep going in that particular campaign, and it sounds like it's getting a bit tough, you could always just move most of the baktrian stacks to say, Ireland or that island in the baltic or, just far enough away to give you some space from the relentless AI.
    Last edited by Elcmar; 04-30-2009 at 23:05.

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

It slightly gets me mad too, even as the "civilized" nations..

Playing as Epiros, the ONLY way (without forced diplomacy*) to get peace with Rome, is basically to give up on Taras. I don't want to do this, so slowly you have to keep taling Italian Cities. Current campaign, took all Roman provinces, leave them with just Ariminum, Bononia and Segesta (after fighting wave after wave). Finally decide to take Arminium, after checking surrounding area with spies, and see there isn't more than token resistance.

So build a reasonable full stack, and move towards Arim, and the very next turn a full 20 stack of Romans appear! Check and its 90% mercs. Defeat that with medium losses, and move on to siege Arim, with its 1/3 full garrison. 2 turns later another full stack appears out of nowehere. This time all mercs except the Roman General.

The ai must have hired every merc in Italy, The Alps and Gaul to get 2 full stacks instantly, at a cost of god knows 200k+?!! With 16 cities I can afford 1 full stack for Italy, and one for Greece. Bah humbug...

I've also seen similar when an ai has been reduced to 1 or 2 cities managing 3 full stacks.

Yes, I know we have our brains, and they have enough cash thrown at them to embarrass Bill Gates.

Doesn't make it any less annoying though, when you the player are the reciptent of this "insti-army" behavior..

*If anyone knows another way, pls let the world know ;)

Pahlava is so great with its units (elite, nice-looking and deadly, deadly cataphracts, and i really like sound-mod too), but their greatness is like a huge mountain: its getting bigger and bigger as you go further on top, and you can never reach it... Its just torment of Tantalus...

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

You might try giving yourself a load of money, send out a single FM, hire all the mercs, and instantly disband them. There is a limit as to how quick they can respawn, yes?
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Default AW: I have some questions :-)

As Pahlava you need no fullstacks, just stick to the Dehbed Asavara (Parthian Noble Medium Cavalry) and half/quarter stacks they are cheap, but fast and deadly.

You don't need the other heavy HA. Try to raid the AS core cities (like Susa, Persepolis, Ekbatana, Babylon, Seleukeia, Antiocheia) you sometimes get 20.000 or even more from one city, that money invest in new Dehbed Asavara (Parthian Noble Medium Cavalry) and some military outposts, where you can recruit fresh units. Take a look in the recruitmentviewer and plan which cities should be you military core cities, you don't need a reformed governmentin every city. If you blitz AS at the beginning, you shouldn't have a problem with it. Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    It slightly gets me mad too, even as the "civilized" nations..

Playing as Epiros, the ONLY way (without forced diplomacy*) to get peace with Rome, is basically to give up on Taras. I don't want to do this, so slowly you have to keep taling Italian Cities. Current campaign, took all Roman provinces, leave them with just Ariminum, Bononia and Segesta (after fighting wave after wave). Finally decide to take Arminium, after checking surrounding area with spies, and see there isn't more than token resistance.

So build a reasonable full stack, and move towards Arim, and the very next turn a full 20 stack of Romans appear! Check and its 90% mercs. Defeat that with medium losses, and move on to siege Arim, with its 1/3 full garrison. 2 turns later another full stack appears out of nowehere. This time all mercs except the Roman General.

The ai must have hired every merc in Italy, The Alps and Gaul to get 2 full stacks instantly, at a cost of god knows 200k+?!! With 16 cities I can afford 1 full stack for Italy, and one for Greece. Bah humbug...

I've also seen similar when an ai has been reduced to 1 or 2 cities managing 3 full stacks.

Yes, I know we have our brains, and they have enough cash thrown at them to embarrass Bill Gates.

Doesn't make it any less annoying though, when you the player are the reciptent of this "insti-army" behavior..

*If anyone knows another way, pls let the world know ;)

1) Im civilized too (by now): i have reformed government

2) with these Hellenic phalanxes you can do anything you like: but, with Pahlavan H/A s you can do miracles of course: but you cannot expect such a miracles, especially against AS elite phalanxes...

Default Re: AW: I have some questions :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Zett View Post
    As Pahlava you need no fullstacks, just stick to the Dehbed Asavara (Parthian Noble Medium Cavalry) and half/quarter stacks they are cheap, but fast and deadly.

You don't need the other heavy HA. Try to raid the AS core cities (like Susa, Persepolis, Ekbatana, Babylon, Seleukeia, Antiocheia)

I have all of those cities you named, and still, its not enough to kick that AS to their knees... they are just like Feniks (i dont know english name for Feniks: its that immortal bird that arises from its own ashes)...

Quote Originally Posted by Jebivjetar View Post
    1) Im civilized too (by now): i have reformed government

2) with these Hellenic phalanxes you can do anything you like: but, with Pahlavan H/A s you can do miracles of course: but you cannot expect such a miracles, especially against AS elite phalanxes...
    Oh yeah, Pahv, is MILES tougher than Epiros, there's no doubting that. In my game, all phalanxes have -4 attack, and (varying) about 1/3 the shield value of standard EB, which makes them a lot more balanced and a little less "all conquering".

I also hate HA with such a passion, I have no interest in playing anyone who starts east of the Bosphorus , but I wish you well in your campaign...

EDIT: Feniks must be: Phoenix
    Last edited by Drewski; 04-30-2009 at 23:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    Oh yeah, Pahv, is MILES tougher than Epiros, there's no doubting that. In my game, all phalanxes have -4 attack, and (varying) about 1/3 the shield value of standard EB, which makes them a lot more balanced and a little less "all conquering".

I also hate HA with such a passion, I have no interest in playing anyone who starts east of the Bosphorus , but I wish you well in your campaign...

EDIT: Feniks must be: Phoenix
    Yes, it is Phoenix...

And, thanks for good wishes

Man, i just want to build one great empire, and then send one fullstack of cataphracts to Italy, and smash rome...

Just did that....oh man the sudden adrenalin drain is SO relaxing....25k a turn mnai (rubs hands with glee and added mnai) now I can relax and pick my targets :)

Are you blitzing?...

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

mate I love pahlava,
    but if you do not blitz AS with your HAs you will be doomed.
    -if you run out of amnos during a battle against phalanxes just retreat so long as you do not have cataphract archers.
    -do not stop until you conquer Antiocheia. then make a peace with AS. start building your reformed goverment then of course MISs for your beloved catas.
    -if AS does not attack you you may have time to finish Baktria(ı never destroy faction prefer them to be my vassal I changed, modded everything in my campaign. 0 recruitment, realist movement so I can revive achaemenids in 20 years but I stick to my rules: blitz until antiocheia, build reform governments, arabian campaign for homna, baktrian campaign to make them my vassal, armenian war I role play that they did not recognise me as the successor to achaemenids, then pontos just capture ameseia then offer them a good money to be your vassal, then finally anatolian hegemony war, later ptolemies would love to attack you exile them to Kyrene then enjoy the egyptian income, if it is not enough folllow the route of Xerxes and conquer athens and enslave sparta, my advice in the south of danube you can recruit elite thrakian falxmen that has best AP! for your greek campaign.

-if it is not enough for you no one can challenge you after you conquered old achaemenid lands send them your catas, elephants celts and germans are just shooting practice for your HAs. then if you wanna play the superpower invoke local power struggles support the weak then the other. exile all romans from italy and forbid them to enter.

yeah that means you .....up history.
    but remember if you roleplay like I were Arsaces, Phyruss, Alexander (soter) etc. no one claims it is not logical.

the choice is yours

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Of course i blitz: just like Atraphoenix said: playing with Pahlava youre doomed if not blitzing. As a matter of fact: one stack of 6-7 horse archers+FM if available (and eventually some mercs), in my campaign reached Antiocheia and conquered much of AS in about 15-20 years. But these AS Phoenixes now live better than ever: they destroyed Pontos and having all of Asia Minor...

I dont role play: i just kill whatever comes on my way, and take whatever i can to survive, i even broked alliance with Baktria just to capture Baktra when was poorly defended. From my point of view: there is no such a thing like a "fair-play", because AI is all around you and (allied or not) it wants to harm you and your people!
    Last edited by Jebivjetar; 05-01-2009 at 12:11.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

In my Phalavan campaign now, I manage to not blitzing... Just disband dahae mercs, move archers as garrison, and work slowly with horse archers and FM... Siege the eleutheroi settlement to the north... and... supporting AS.... and did help them against baktria.... (note: I use Alex EB... Alliance is better maintained here...)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    sounds like a coward huh? but I was roleplaying the Phalavas play safe first... and try to gut Saka first... It was much funnier fighting a faction and a faction one at a time, than gang-banging AS...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

In my campaign I've been doing just fine without all the bloody reforms. Early on I was surrounded by enemies and could afford one of two things:
    Reformed stuff and eventually great cataphracts
    Quickly set up nomad stuff, and decent amounts of standard horse archers

I went with the latter, and still beat back the infantry of the Greek fools who thought they could stop me. However, the chicken came home to roost when the Saka attacked me with their armored horsemen, so both strategies have problems.
    Parthian Nationalist