Thread: tip: native musketmen auxiliaries as cavalry killers

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Thumbs up tip: native musketmen auxiliaries as cavalry killers

discovered this evil tactic almost by accident, hope it might come handy for someone.

I used to hire musketmen auxiliaries as a cheap filler in my North American army without any clear idea how to use them efficiently. Staying invisible while walking feature is not working very well against the AI: it still 'sees' the stealthy units somehow and sends cavalry to 'clean the field' right away.

Anyway, I had an army with 5 such 'fillers' in it. Not being sure how to use them in the battle in a meaningful manner I placed them on a side in a clear field, intending to attack the AI iroquois position with my smaller force of Hessians instead.

Upon the battle start, it became clear that my main army was within the range of the indian cannon. Just poking the AI's resolve, I sent an outfit of light cavalry towards the cannon. Of course, the AI responds by sending its lancers to intercept. Here comes the fun part. I ran my light cavalry back not towards the main army, but rather - towards (and through) the crouching musketmen in the meadow; sensing no threat, the AI followed.

What followed was fun to watch: one salvo from all 5 musketmen units and bye, bye lancers with zero losses amongst the musketeers! rinse, repeat... that latter part, of course, would not work against a human player.

I guess, it would work with any cheap 'hide anywhere' unit like Central European pandours, etc.

Default Re: tip: native musketmen auxiliaries as cavalry killers

Great tip. I used them like that before to trap cav units . But I never used as many as you. Eventually, they would get chewed up. I never "baited" the enemy. I'll have to try that.

I also like the tibal gunners which do well in areas where you cannot recruit dragoons.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joe4iz View Post
    Great tip. I used them like that before to trap cav units . But I never used as many as you. Eventually, they would get chewed up. I never "baited" the enemy. I'll have to try that.

I also like the tibal gunners which do well in areas where you cannot recruit dragoons.
    Yup, the key is in the numbers. Using just a couple auxiliaries would result in them routing after the first salvo when the surviving cavalry charges. Five (that number was just a coincidence. as I mentioned, I used them a 'fillers') units seemed like an optimum number: stops the running cavalry dead in their tracks. If cavalry survives the first salvo, they get killed as they rout.
    Last edited by Slaists; 05-01-2009 at 21:23.

Try it with elephants, its a lot funnier