Thread: AI fleets/ repair

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Default AI fleets/ repair

I've noticed that AI fleets don't get repaired at least when they are in a trade theatre. Now the only way to repair right now is to bring them into port wich the AI is usually far from.

I've captured 3 2nd rate ships from the AI due to this not because my ships were superior but the second rates were so battered from AI vs AI autoresolve (probably pirates) that they usually had no more than 30 cannons left and a very weak hull

I'm thinking the game needs to allow repairs at sea for the AI's sake

Maybe taking up to 5 turns or more to be repaired but while in port they only take 1

The human player is smart enough to take a battered fleet back to port whereas the AI just sits there with sitting ducks paying high upkeep for a ship that can easily be captured
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Default Re: AI fleets/ repair

Quote Originally Posted by Oaty View Post
    I've noticed that AI fleets don't get repaired at least when they are in a trade theatre. Now the only way to repair right now is to bring them into port wich the AI is usually far from.

I've captured 3 2nd rate ships from the AI due to this not because my ships were superior but the second rates were so battered from AI vs AI autoresolve (probably pirates) that they usually had no more than 30 cannons left and a very weak hull

I'm thinking the game needs to allow repairs at sea for the AI's sake

Maybe taking up to 5 turns or more to be repaired but while in port they only take 1

The human player is smart enough to take a battered fleet back to port whereas the AI just sits there with sitting ducks paying high upkeep for a ship that can easily be captured
    I wonder if the hull strength could be capped at 80% if the repairs were made at sea, that way you get your ship decently repaired, but it reflects the historical basis for bringing ships back to your home port for full repairs...

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eusebius86 View Post
    I wonder if the hull strength could be capped at 80% if the repairs were made at sea, that way you get your ship decently repaired, but it reflects the historical basis for bringing ships back to your home port for full repairs...
    as long as the AI realizes it needs to do that (bring fleets back to the port)...

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

I have noticed that a lot of AI armies are not replenished and are walking around with damaged flags. The problem is that the AI is so aggressive that it is running out money too soon and can't do anything after mid game.
    Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    as long as the AI realizes it needs to do that (bring fleets back to the port)...
    It seems a little much for a fleet that's been at sea for 10 years and has seen combat on and off to be as combat ready as one that is fresh from port. But I guess that's where the balance of gameplay and "realism" has to be found...

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

The AI also seems to be comfortable with having major trade ports blockaded or taken. They simply do not care. In all of my games, the Mughals always get eliminated entirely, and I notice that they have their trading ports blockaded perpetually. Obviously, it has adverse effects on them, and as a consequence, the Marathas always win. I notice this with all other factions, but it has the most effect on them.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Spain has had a Barbary fleet in its sole trade port for the last ten turns. It has not sent a single army unit to drive it out. Sweden has been blockaded by Denmark for a likewise duration. I can't see a Swedish fleet anywhere in sight.

The AI may be aggressive, but it still too dumb to defend itself properly.

It would be nice if the AI could return its ships to port, or if a repair-at-sea option was available for both the AI & human. But, as mentioned by Monsieur Alphonse, the AI concentrates on recruiting, so it doesn't have enough money to do anything after a while...
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!