Thread: Unit Recruitment from Colony

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Unit Recruitment from Colony

That's true... If you're a Hellenic faction, and say, you build a second tier colony unit in far away Casse land... You should have capable to recruit at least hoplitai (standard, not haploi) or phalangitai deuteroi and peltastai here, regardless of the hidden resource... or area of recruitment... creating a colony made of Hellens will made sure the colonist here at least still carrying their military tradition... logical enough didn't I... I'm just getting bored, how the AI didn't retrain their units in far - far away land, even it was just a standard hoplitai. because of the AOR (I use Alex, they usually retrain a lot...)

Maybe adding an eqivalent of Barbarian colony should be available to recruit Gaeroas, Scutarii, and their another medium level - unit... How unbalanced to see only Rome got Cohors Reformata fully trained in the latter game... while most hellenic faction struggle with 20 men phalangitai in gauls?

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Default Re: Unit Recruitment from Colony

You may want a different mod for this, like XGM or XGM-XC.
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

Isn't there a mod for EB 1 that already does this?
    A nice idea though! It would be cool if you could, as koinon hellenon establish trade colonies far far away from your own borders, and make a living out of it!

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Lightbulb Re: Unit Recruitment from Colony

Well, certain low-level Saka unit are available for recruitment in every one of the 199 provinces. The levy pike phalanx units also had a gargantuan AoR, extending as far as into the Gaul, but that was scratched in the later versions of EB.

I like the idea that different units are the product of different social constructs (represented by buildings) within a polity.

Eg Hoplites were part of a democratic tradition. It would be cool oif ythey could be recruited from some sort of political structure eg the representative assembly (IIRC the Boule) in Athens.

Noble cavalry might be fostered by building hunting grounds or temples (notoriously monopolised by certain elite families in Athens and in Rome).

Hellenistic levy units might need a Basilica building where the royal administration calls up its peeps, as well as collecting taxes.

I think the Sacred Band in Carthage was tied to the temple of Tanit-that was a nice touch in RTW.

The MICs are a fine system, but in EB2 I reckon there's an opportunity to go a different way. Not back to the old MTW slightly bizarre matrix of levelled buildings, but a more rational version of RTW's recruitment building spread (some units recruitable from not specifically military buildings).
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Unit Recruitment from Colony

I think this get a clear analogy with British islands recruitment through culture percentage... If you sucessfully made Keltoi Hellenized... (50% culture or more is Hellenic)... no reason to deny you an acess for hoplitai type infantry... and 100% Celtic lands should be able to train gaesatae uirodusios.

Well, they shouldn't able to recruit elites though... medium only....

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Unit Recruitment from Colony

Open your export_descr_buildings.txt, and search for "apoikia":

Code:
    building colonia
        {
        levels colony apoikia persiapart persiafull
        {
       colony requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, romans_scipii, seleucid, parthia, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, } and building_present_min_level government gov3
            {
                capability
                {
                 law_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, romans_scipii, seleucid, parthia, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, }
                 population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, parthia, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, }
                 trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { greek_cities, egypt, }
                 happiness_bonus bonus -2 requires factions { romans_scipii, }
                    recruit "hellenistic infantry pantodapoi" 0 requires factions { numidia, romans_julii, thrace, macedon, carthage, romans_brutii, slave, }
                }
                construction  4
                cost  1600
                settlement_min village
                upgrades
                {
                 apoikia
                 persiapart
                }
            }
       apoikia requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, parthia, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, } and building_present_min_level port_buildings port and building_present_min_level government gov2
            {
                capability
                {
                    law_bonus bonus 2 requires factions { thrace, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, parthia, numidia, romans_brutii, }
                    law_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { greek_cities, egypt, }
                    population_growth_bonus bonus -2 requires factions { thrace, greek_cities, macedon, romans_julii, romans_scipii, seleucid, parthia, numidia, romans_brutii, egypt, }
                    trade_base_income_bonus 2 requires factions { greek_cities, egypt, }
                    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { thrace, macedon, romans_julii, seleucid, parthia, numidia, romans_brutii, }
                    recruit "greek infantry kleruchoi hoplitai" 0 requires factions { numidia, romans_julii, thrace, macedon, carthage, romans_brutii, slave, }
                    recruit "hellenistic infantry pantodapoi" 0 requires factions { numidia, romans_julii, thrace, macedon, carthage, romans_brutii, slave, }
                }
                construction  8
                cost  8800
                settlement_min large_city
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
    This way, the Katoikiai give you Pantodapoi, and the Klerouchiai additionally Klerouchoi Phalangitai.

I hope I could aliviate your rightful desire for Hellenic colonist troops for the Barbarie until EBII comes out.
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 05-10-2009 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    If you sucessfully made Keltoi Hellenized... (50% culture or more is Hellenic)... no reason to deny you an acess for hoplitai type infantry... and 100% Celtic lands should be able to train gaesatae uirodusios.
    You can already recruit Keltohellenic hoplites in most celtic lands including the south of britain, they are essentially what your talking about.

Blog Entries

I mean plain Hoplitai, not javelin swinging celtohellenic weirdos So my army from athenai could be trained...

@Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    Thanks, but I allready know it... just share my Idea for EB II.