Thread: Your conquered lands, and they armies that serve you.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Thumbs up Your conquered lands, and they armies that serve you.

Ok, so in my AS campaign I have just defeated Pahlava, and in a way to simulate that my faction leader liked their warriors I trained 7-8 of them to be sent with a young general to Asia minor where they will serve me for the next 15-20 years. (sorta like the romans did with the Sarmations) Anways, my question is what kind of things do you do that is like this. Do you send units from conquered armies halfway across the map to serve you?

I think its one of the neatest things EB offers, anyways hope to hear from you all and your Ideas of what you do.

4x
    1x

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

Default Re: Your conquered lands, and they armies that serve you.

I do that, but after a few years, their numbers usually get diluted with nearby/local equivilants...only the elites and core components are worth the efforts of shipping for hundreds of miles.

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

i like to mix units from all over the empire into one army. kind of shows the vastness of an empire.

Cretan Archers are part of all my consular armies. That is conscious. An Iberian Milites is making its way towards the Carthaginian holdings next to the Nile provinces of Egypt and AS, but that is coincidence, it happened to be with the North African units this army is made up from.

My real Consular Armies are engaged with AS in Asia minor and Syria after one took Alexandria and Thebes from AS and gave them to Egypt to help divert those 1-5 AS fullstacks a turn. Though one, and a very strong one is guarding a Limes fortress next to Medialunum against Gaul and German incursions.

When Marian reforms kicks in in 20 years I aim to include Cretan Archers, Gallic and Numidian cavalry for historical reasons, and Gallic heavy infantry to supplement the Legionaires. Dunno what else, never had the marian reforms before.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

This is one of the reasons why I adore playing Pontos (putting aside the diplomatic prowess of the AI, but forced diplomacy can sort that out). You can get a diverse mix of units in a small area (that all work well together) and I think the EB team have done a great job of reflecting the fusion between Hellenic, Persian and various local troops.

Satalexton is right about the dilutuing of troops, the biggest offenders being either Romans prior to the Marian reforms or when expanding east from Hellas as Makedonia or Epirus, trying to recreate the empire of Alexander. But this only adds a extra layer of fun and accuracy to the game.

Not Actually Greek... Member NickTheGreek's Avatar

Most garrisons for conquered territories outside of Italy have Levy Hoplites from Rhegion and Taras as
    the local levies are not to be trusted, having only been brought into the fold of the Res Publica fairly recently.
    Balloons! - - A Very Super Market, - Tiberius Claudius Marcellus, - Machinor

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Toxotai kretikoi, Rhodioi Sphendenotai, Qalaim Balearim, Kasatim Numidim... all did their way as I usually recruit missile troops to complement my army (and they usually didn't need much retraining). Melle infantry is the rarest conquered subjects I train...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post
    This is one of the reasons why I adore playing Pontos (putting aside the diplomatic prowess of the AI, but forced diplomacy can sort that out). You can get a diverse mix of units in a small area (that all work well together) and I think the EB team have done a great job of reflecting the fusion between Hellenic, Persian and various local troops.

Satalexton is right about the dilutuing of troops, the biggest offenders being either Romans prior to the Marian reforms or when expanding east from Hellas as Makedonia or Epirus, trying to recreate the empire of Alexander. But this only adds a extra layer of fun and accuracy to the game.
    Agreed.

In my Pontos campaign I recruit Rhodian Slingers/Kretan Archers in the West, in Armenia I get my Kinsmen heavy cavalry, Persia Provides my Persian Hoplites. The Crimea (bosphorus) gives me Scythian noble cavalry and Bosphoran Heavy Archers. In Galatia I get my Galatian heavies and wild men. This in their turn being mixed with factional pontic phalanxes, chariots and heavy infantry. Antioch provides hellenic troops.

The whole combination makes me look like some kind of larger Persian Empire, varied armies from all corners of my vast empire.

"The thousands peoples from the Persian Empire descend upon you".

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Zoodling Millipede Member Ariovistus Maximus's Avatar

When I did me first game as bactria I imported some indian elephants. But i mostly used them as insta-rams b/c I didn't want to cart them all the way back 4 retraining. }xP

But I also liked the Indian longbowmen and GUILD WARRIORS BWAHAHAHAHAAA! Those dudes chop up fm cavalry like nobody's business!

And playing as Rome I dumped an army onto Crete and grabbed it so I could recruit stacks of Cretan archers. poor, pooooor, Epirus...
    OF DESTINY AND DUTY: A GALATIAN AAR
    Preview of the Week:

And then check out my ANCIENT WEAPONS STUDY

My balloons: x 8

I also like to use local units in my campaigns. Which ones however depends from the way they defend themselfs - thoose who fall to easeli will be subjugated but thoose who offer seroius resisitance are worthy to fight side by side with my soldiers.

As a settled empire like AS, Romani, Makedon, Karthadast or Celts I try to find some useable Cavalry support (especially as Romani - they depend on allied cavalry for effiency, Brihenten in Europe, Thessalian cavalry in Hellas, Numidians in Afrcia, Kinsmen cavalry in the east.) Sometimes I also look for rare infantry units - Rhomphiaioi, Gaesetae, Helvetie troops.

As Nomad factions I rather look for capeable Infatry troopers since you have the best horsemen between Indus and the Atlantic (easier with Saka or Pahlav - there type 4 govs can give good quality footsoldiers, Sauros must look to bastarnozlandam in the beginning.) Galatians are good for this and some hellenes are useable for arrowfodder distractions aswell)

By the way could any nomad-veteran suggest me any really priceworth slave infantry warriors?
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 05-11-2009 at 21:02. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

I've just started a KH game and, though blitzing Makedonia (accidentally!), my recruitment pool hasn't expanded much. Archers from Krete and slingers from Rhodos, when the MICs are eventually upgraded to that point, and I suppose I'd swap out Xystophoroi in favour of the Thessalian equivalent if I had any, but it's early days yet.

I'm looking forward to incorporating Karian warbands and hillbilly axemen when I expand into Mikra Asia, but the Eleutheroi stacks are looking shockingly tough. Fitting, though, that if I should want to press those famed Karians into the service of the armies of the Greek cities, I should first have to defeat an army of them! (but silver chevrons? Really?!)
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

Playing as Pahlava, I had pushed the Seleucids back to Kappadokia and went riding to rescue my Pontic allies from a Seleucid army that had their capitol besieged. Unfortunately, they had conquered the city just days before my troops arrived, and in response I besieged it and took it for my empire. Then I found the regional troop barracks intact, and I found that I could recruit hellenic native phalangites. I immediately mobilized as many men in the city I could as phalangites, and together with the horse archers there I beat off Seleucid, Macedonian, and Pontic attacks on the city. Hellenic native phalangites also served in Armenia, winning great glory there as well. They are now among my favorite troops.
    Parthian Nationalist

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

I like using region-specific armies in some cases. For example, when I deem an Allied Autonomous State if great importance, I roleplay the Basileus "granting" them to raise an army with expenses of the Royal Coffers. Thus I can practise with different tactics instead of just phalanx warfare, which can get quite boring after some time.

As for actually using units from far-away nations in my extensive campaigns, I don't usually do that. Mainly due to the fact that I can't easily retrain them, and one of the factors I base my military might upon is swift attacks and precise handling. I have secondary army detached to every major army, containing troops that I can't easily replenish (like Pezhetairoi or Hetairoi). For missile troops or light/medium cavalry, I can always use local troops and/or mercenaries to fill the job.

Maion
    ~Maion