Thread: Tying more units to the march of time

Default Tying more units to the march of time

I was wondering what you guys think. Would it be sensible to add more units to this reform? I don't like the fact that in my games, I see units like the Thorakitai so early in the game, since they definetly weren't there at the time.

I guess there are a lot of other units which also made first apperance much later on, but we can have them from the begining. I don't remember which ones but anyways...

I'm also wondering if the EB team thought about this? It's probably much easier this way than by having to script new reforms.

What other units would you tie to the march of time? Any ideas?
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Default Re: Tying more units to the march of time

NO. Not the march of time. Anything but the march of time.
    Try a KH campaign. You will see why.
    Sure, in theory it sounds like a nice idea. But if the affected units are crucial for survival -
    it is better to roleplay such things or to have specific reforms (scripted) than to rely on an AI faction to build something. Besides, MOT assumes Roman dominance over Italy.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Not the MOT please, that reform wont happen when you defeat the Romans early on, Rome is a threat I usually neutralize fast when playing a western faction.

That means these things never come:
    - Late Bodyguards
    - KH phalanx
    - Hysteroi Pezhetairoi
    - Maybe some more...

Are Liburne/covered Liburne battleships tied to MOT?

I do agree that some units should appear later in the game, but that is probably up to the EB team.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    Not the MOT please, that reform wont happen when you defeat the Romans early on, Rome is a threat I usually neutralize fast when playing a western faction.

- Late Bodyguards for no less than five factions
    - KH phalanx
    - Hysteroi Pezhetairoi
    - Maybe some more...
    [...]

~Fluvius
    I agree with that. In one of my ongoing campaigns, I have a vast and economically advanced Pahlavân empire with reformed government almost everywhere and still no reformed bodyguards ...

Yes.
    Last edited by athanaric; 05-11-2009 at 18:37.

Swęboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Ah, rome should be allowed to live. It's Rome Total War after all

- Late Bodyguards
    - KH phalanx
    - Hysteroi Pezhetairoi
    - Maybe some more...

I do agree that some units should appear later in the game, but that is probably up to the EB team.

~Fluvius
    Well for one, the Hysteroi were developed because of rome

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Is the EB team working on more factional reforms? Like special KH reforms? or others
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Tying more units to the march of time

Is the EB team working on more factional reforms? Like special KH reforms? or others
    Work on EB1 has stopped, possibly apart from some bug-fixing. So no, there will be no new reforms in EB1. In EB2 I am guessing that recruitment will work completely different, and so will the reforms.

BTW, the Thorakitai weren't around at 270 BC, but IIRC abou mentioned that evidence for their existence starts turning up around 250-240 BC, so tying them to the MoT may be delaying it too much.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Work on EB1 has stopped, possibly apart from some bug-fixing. So no, there will be no new reforms in EB1. In EB2 I am guessing that recruitment will work completely different, and so will the reforms.

BTW, the Thorakitai weren't around at 270 BC, but IIRC abou mentioned that evidence for their existence starts turning up around 250-240 BC, so tying them to the MoT may be delaying it too much.
    Well in my games the MOT happens always around that time

I'm not a great fan of the MOT myself - new bodyguards are nice, but most Times I don't like to let Rome live just to get some good units. The other thing which always anoys me is that for example the Casse and the KH don't get any normal cavalry general bodyguards after the MOT (any chance this will change in EB II) - thats one of the reasons I never tried either (well I might try the KH sometime but not sure).
    The other Idea I had was if the AS generals could get some heavier bodyguards with the cataphract reforms (lighter than the Bactrian Catas but heavier then Hetairoi) - I know this sounds like a tipicall "what if question" but there are a few such reforms in the game already.
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 05-11-2009 at 22:53. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Quote Originally Posted by HunGeneral View Post
    I'm not a great fan of the MOT myself - new bodyguards are nice, but most Times I don't like to let Rome live just to get some good units. The other thing which always anoys me is that for example the Casse and the KH don't get any normal cavalry general bodyguards after the MOT (any chance this will change in EB II) - thats one of the reasons I never tried either (well I might try the KH sometime but not sure).
    The other Idea I had was if the AS generals could get some heavier bodyguards with the cataphract reforms (lighter than the Bactrian Catas but heavier then Hetairoi) - I know this sounds like a tipicall "what if question" but there are a few such reforms in the game already.
    well you can't get much heavier than the Hetairoi. If you look closely the only difference between catas and hetairoi is the upper leg armour, the helmets, and a tiny bit more of the horses body armour.

But the Bodyguards could change to the Agema. That would be awesome