View Poll Results: What's your favorite Black Sabbath album?

Voters
22. This poll is closed
  • Black Sabbath (1970)

5 22.73%
  • Paranoid (1970)

10 45.45%
  • Master of Reality (1971)

4 18.18%
  • Vol 4 (1972)

1 4.55%
  • Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)

1 4.55%
  • Sabotage (1975)

0 0%
  • Technical Ecstasy (1976)

0 0%
  • Never Say Die (1978)

1 4.55%
  • Mob Rules (1981) ...With Dio

0 0%

Thread: Favorite Black Sabbath Album?

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

Question Favorite Black Sabbath Album?

1) Black Sabbath (1970)
    2) Paranoid (1970)
    3) Master of Reality (1971)
    4) Vol 4 (1972)
    5) SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH (1973)
    6) Sabotage (1975)
    7) TECHNICAL ECSTASY (1976)
    8) Never Say Die (1978)
    9) Mob Rules (1981) ...With Dio

. . . S . . .
    . . . A . . .
    . . . B . . .
    . . . B . . .
    B.L.A.C.K
    . . . T . . .
    . . . H . . .

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Default Re: Favorite Black Sabbath Album?

Choice between Paranoid and Sabotage, Black Sabbath a close third

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Paranoid, purely because of the song with the same name. It fitted perfectly with one of my favourite games of my youth: Rock 'n' Roll Racing by what is now Blizzard-Activision.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Paranoid.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Black Sabbath. Don't know why. But, it's their only album that I really enjoy.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

What's the one with 'fluff' om it. I like that one.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

i dont really like Black Sabbath (ozzy's voice annoys me ) but i choose paranoid
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Question Re: Favorite Black Sabbath Album?

Where's the "I like rap" option?

/trolling

Thumbs up Re: Favorite Black Sabbath Album?

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    What's the one with 'fluff' om it. I like that one.
    You're talkin SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH (1973). Good choice, not sure about the "fluff" though...

It's very interesting that PARANOID (1970) gets so much love. I think "Paranoid" is the only song which was short enough to receive radio airplay, so it is well known; some of the other songs on that album completely rule also, so I can't argue.

I always was partial to Master of Reality (1971), but as far as album artwork goes I gotta love Vol 4 (1974)

Only track I could remember by name.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Paranoid also had Iron Man, War Pigs, and Planet Caravan. Great stuff.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Hard to say which album is my favorite; overall I would say "Black Sabbath," but it's awfully bluesy and not as true to the Sabbath sound as one might be comfortable with. Other than the first album, though, I like an assortment of songs from different albums, mostly "Children of the Grave," "Paranoid" and "Supernaut;" in other words, the faster stuff.

Frankly, though, I'll choose the 70's Deep Purple over Sabbath (or Zeppelin, for that matter) any day.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 05-13-2009 at 01:21.

Ok, I’ll bite Kurando… It’s definitely the first album for me; Black Sabbath, no doubt.

Funny enough, pretty much for the very opposite reasons as stipulated by Rev here (sorry for that man). Its essentially provides the purest and heaviest Sabbath sound to date in my mind - the ultimate Sabbath sound (excellently demonstrated in "the Wizard" or "NIB" for instance). They never managed to quite get back there, on that scale anyhow, after that album (still there were a lot of outstanding stuff that followed of course). Anyway, these guys sadly enough created the template for heavy metal and I essentially can’t stand that stuff personally.

It becomes very apparent on the “Masters of the reality” – which with few exceptions was a swan dive into that stuff which later on become the swamp of heavy metal (still I do like "Sweat leaf" for instance). They pretty much invented the darn thing - a remarkable deed regardless of the fact that I do hate it as musical style and format. ....As long as they played heavy and slowish rock these boys do rock – real good! The magic bass of Geezer Butler and unique drums of Bill Ward are the big secret behind the massive sound of Black Sabbath I think.

Tony Iommy is of course a very good guitarist with strong, raw and distinctive personality no doubt - but to me it is really the drums and bass that brings the magic, sound-wise. Iommy's guitar strikes me as only adding further conture and detail to the magic of Sabbath and not the fundamentals for it. At any rate, Iommy is a very good composer and he did show that consistlently in the 70's and he really could at times create pure and outstanding excellence in that sense - for instance "Planet Caravan" and "Laguna sunrise" - I rest my case...

While I still love the more "rockier" Deep Purple and Led Zeppelins earlier stuff - I would have still prefered Black Sabbath if I was forced choose between them. They just hit closer to home in general for me – that said; both Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin have truly done some outstanding rock stuff here and there… "Highway star" and "Black dog" comes to mind while I write this....

A question of my own here; why was the Dio-album included? It kind of strikes me as saying that David Coverdale was ever a part of the definitive line up of Deep Purple - which he obviously was not. I'm just curious here nothing else. If you are up to it, perhaps you could elaburate some more on that?

- Cheers
    ----------
    BTW, I did see these boys live (2000-ishy I think it was) and they truly rocked!
    Hey, what did you expect...
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-16-2009 at 08:16. Reason: typos....

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    A question of my own here; why was the Dio-album included? It kind of strikes me as saying that David Coverdale was ever a part of the definitive line up of Deep Purple - which he obviously was not. I'm just curious here nothing else. If you are up to it, perhaps you could elaburate some more on that?
    The Dio album equates to the Gah! option for the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    The Dio album equates to the Gah! option for the poll.
    Bullseye!

Excellent post BTW Axalon-San. I really picked up on Black Sabbath because I was into metal first, sort of tracing it back to it's routes I guess. I also found a really great wellspring in their American counterparts in metal's foundation, Blue Oyster Cult.

I don't know man, as far as the music goes I guess it's just down to personal taste, but unlike yourself I really like the heavy side of Master of Reality (1971) mainly because that album gave birth to soooo much music, and it had such an edge! In the historical context Master of Reality (1971) came out only a few short years after the music industries flower-power stuff, and it took things in a pretty shattering direction. Especially a song like "Into the Void" Wowwww...

As you point out Sabbath were a group of some pretty fine musicians. Geezer Butler's bong-rattling Bass probably had a big effect on the music of the forthcoming era. I once heard him say in an interview that he developed his style of playing because when he got the instrument he had no idea how to play it, so he just tried to copy what he saw Tony doing on the guitar; he played Bass like Tony played the guitar solos. Additionally, back in the day, Geezer's bellbottoms would have put to shame anything from the wardrobe department of H.M.S. Pinafore! IMO he was a wicked cool guy!!

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Toss up between Paranoid and Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath.

The first album was great too. N.I.B= best bass solo ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Who's the savage? Member Legosoldier's Avatar

The first six albums of Black Sabbath are all my favorites, but perhaps the most favored album of the six would Paranoid for all the great tracks in that album.
    Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    "Pissing contest" pictures two 8year olds urinating on the side of a barn to see who can wet higher. Quaint.
    "Pee race" however, evokes 2 kids running a 100 yard dash with their boyhoods hanging out, spraying hither and yon furiously, as they race to the finish line. Hilarious!
    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Have the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the voice of Billy Mays and the ability to produce bull**** at a moments notice and you can be the leader of anything.

Hello Kurando, Drone and all you Sabbath lovers out there….

I only know Blue Oyster Cult by name essentially and it was about “1000 years” ago I heard anything of them – it did not give any lasting impression on me if I remember everything correctly. Thus I never bothered much with those dudes and moved on…

I totally agree with you that it is a personal preference call. Now, if I understand you correctly you coming out of a heavy metal preference while I look upon Sabbath out of a hardrock preference. Regardless, I do agree with you that the Master of reality-album is a very, very important album and especially so for heavy metal and possibly for stoner-rock as well (“Sweat leaf” and “Lord of the world” got clear cut stoner-rock vibes). Perhaps even THE most important album for heavy metal that Sabbath ever did as far as sound goes (considering the time of release here and all little bits and pieces found all over the album). Of course “Ironman” out of Paranoid, was also very important for the development of heavy metal. While the title track of Paranoid or “Fairies wear boots” and perhaps “Rat salad” was equally important for hardrock. The Warpigs-intro for stoner-rock (and as a whole for hardrock) etc. etc.

To me the most important and obvious blue-prints for heavy metal on the “Master of reality” album are the “After forever” and especially “Children of the grave”-tracks. Very heavy metal-esque and copied over and over again up to this day. That pretty much underlines the importance of these tracks for heavy metal, to me at least.

Then when have of course plenty of parts in “Into the void” as well, also copied in essence plenty of times in within the framework of heavy metal. I actually like that track in spite of the heavy metal factors attached to it, but I do like “Lord of this world” more since I feel it is more true too the Sabbath-sound outlined in my previous post. It is more in the style of the first album and have far less heavy metal-vibe too it. “Lord of this world” got even more stoner-rock vibe too it than “Into the void” while both obviously serve as important cornerstones for that kind of musical style. Anyhow, each to his own. We simply appear to like different aspects of Sabbath and there is nothing to it (just like me and Drone regarding powerhouse rockband Clutch).

While on the subject of the “Lord of this world”-track I think it was more or less ripped of by Nirvana, on some song they did, I don’t like Nirvana (nor Pearl Jam) much but I am positive and friendly to the “Seattle-sound” in general. I really did enjoy the Sound Garden-album “Super unknown” for instance which I also think was a really excellent album (actually before it became a big hit) – kind of a speeded up Sabbath-vibe here and there, “Spoon man” and “Let me drown” comes to mind here….

Yeah yeah, enough of me – lets have some other opinions here instead! And keep voting here as long as it is not the Ronnie James Gah!-album! “Over to you”….

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-16-2009 at 08:13.

Cool Re: Favorite Black Sabbath Album?

"Over to you" Indeed... Another spirited post Axalon.

You know, I have to admit one thing for the later albums: comparatively they have some really great lyrics! Over to you is a good example.

Another good one is Bill Ward's tune Swinging the Chain! I really dig Bill Ward; I heard a rumour that in the early 70's he and Ozzy did acid every day for two years (even Christmas!) I would definitely put that on my resume...

I recall that Bill released an album in the late 80's and it said on the jacket "after being sick for nearly a decade Bill Ward triumphantly returns to the music scene!"

Not bad... ;)

Thumbs up Re: Favorite Black Sabbath Album?

Master of reality is the BEST Black Sabbath album big-time!

Side one
    # Title Length
    1. "Sweet Leaf"
    2. "After Forever" (Tony Iommi)
    3. "Embryo" (Tony Iommi)
    4. "Children of the Grave"
    Side two
    # Title Length
    5. "Orchid" (Tony Iommi)
    6. "Lord of This World"
    7. "Solitude"
    8. "Into the Void"

Do I need to say more? :) I mean, INTO THE VOID? Who didn't vote for that, it has one of the greatest metal riffs ever. You gotta be kidding me, rofl.

I see many people voted for Paranoid. Meh, meh. War pigs, Iron man, popular hits. Hello, people, do you know songs like Children of the Grave? Laguna Sunrise? Hole In The Sky? Hello, sheeple, what's going on in the heads?
    Last edited by PowerWizard; 05-16-2009 at 09:59.
    Life is full of surprises and you never know what you're going to get until you get it; always expect the unexpected.

Paranoid is good. But master of reality has some of the most well written rifts I've heard. No one can doubt that Iommi was the master of the heavy rift.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Paranoid for me.

Though it was quite a departure from Black Sabbath tradition, I did like the A side of Heaven and Hell, the first album with Dio on vocals. Mob Rules didn't do anything for me though.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

I only know Blue Oyster Cult by name essentially and it was about “1000 years” ago I heard anything of them – it did not give any lasting impression on me if I remember everything correctly. Thus I never bothered much with those dudes and moved on…
    I really like the Iced Earth covers of Cities on Flame and Bunin' for You, far more than the originals. Don't Fear the Reaper is an awesome song though

Apparently you don't know what you're missing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwwrZKbJNxM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvswK1uqCos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc9PPy0jzc8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV531TzJX2Y

Okay, granted, they're on the Deep Purple spectrum of Metal, but they're still awesome.

Edit: on second thought, the only BOC album you'll ever need is "On Your Feet or On Your Knees." One of the best 70's metal albums, with the best versions of most of their best songs, and best of all, no cowbell.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 05-18-2009 at 22:02.

Cool Re: Favorite Black Sabbath Album?

Don't even get me started about B.O.C.

The first four albums come from the other side! I have Proof!!

Hi Scurvy, Rev and Kurando and all Sabbath lovers as well! And a special thumbs up for showmanship to metal-monger PowerWizard!

Guys I’m touched by the efforts to remedy my obvious ignorance on the B.O.C. What can I say? I did my duty and listened thru the stuff Rev was kind enough post up for me. Here is what I thought of the stuff…

Its pretty much text-book rock ‘n roll borderlining and crossing over to hardrock at times – with decent enough guitar play. I listened thru some other tunes as well and discovered some reminiscent sixties sound in them (kind of a chorus-hippie-thingy goin there). In general the overall sound is pretty straightforward and dry (it might be the quality of the uploaded files though). Also the overall feeling I had was that it strikes me as - in lack of better words; “thin”… It kind of lacks the power and "nerve" of Deep Purple (definitive line up - mind you) or Led Zeppelin. Obviously so on vocals but also in other regards as well. I also got the feeling that it lacked originality by comparison (more text-book style over it) and it has a softer - less powerful - vibe to it in general – I blame the bassist for that.

If I didn’t know any better I would actually say that these boys are a rock-band that borderlines to hardrock on occasion. Also the guitar reminded me of the sound that N.Y’s very own Lou Reed used to have, more emphasis on distortion rather than depth and fullness in the overall guitar sound. And the lighter pretty poplike organ really annoyed me. I do prefer the more massive and far more expressive sound of John Lord in Deep Purple, heavier, and more full.

Having said all this; I would be lying if I said that I didn’t find my head gently nodding at times while I listened. B.O.C pretty much strike me as a rock-band in kind of the same manner as Led Zeppelin does, moving freely between the various styles of rock – hard and/or regular. Finally, It had a very different sound compared to its more famous and British counterparts. It’s decent stuff, but I find it unlikely that I will buy any records of them soon. So at the end of the day; I am still not a true believer here, sorry guys….

Moving on to our star-attraction of the thread then; Sabbath….

Kurando! I will now reveal that I totally digg “Never say die!” in fact more so than some of the earlier albums as a whole; "Sabbath bloody Sabbath" and "Technical Ecstasy" for instance. Regardless of the fact that “Never say die!” album has taken a heavy beating by the opinions of majority for years - I personally regard it as a truly great album. It got plenty of first class hardrock crammed on it (while the heavy metal aspect of it is pretty thin – maybe that why so many people hold it in so low regard?). As you already pointed out “Swinging the Chain” is a really excellent tune and I personally feel that it is hardly the only one on that album! For instance I really like “Break Out”. I mean how much cooler can it get?!? Jazzrock - Sabbath style! That hornsection really kills! Admittedly I kind of like the concept of jazzrock and especially in that kind of format, heavy, expressive and with a clear cut steady groove attached too it. I totally love how everything blends together - just wonderful!

Anyhow, I am a bit puzzled in retrospect as for why Bill Ward did not sing more often back in the day. After all, his voice – while different – could easily compete with that of Osborne’s if we disregard the fact that we are so accustomed to having Ozzy on vocals. Really wonderful phrasing by Ward in “Swinging the chain”. As for lyrics, it usually is not a primary thing for me, but in general termes it's a nice bonus if it well done as well. Sabbath actually managed to create some pretty decent lyrics over the years and I think that they a a bit underestimated in that regard (or should I perhaps say Gezeer if remember things corectly here. I have some vague memory from some interview somewhere stating that Geezer usually did lyrics for 'em). Oh well, I have babbled on for long enough here….

Keep on voting people and lets have some more comments here! If nothing else; it is welcome and healthy change to all the usual "My favorite cornflakes!"-threads found around here....

I probably should have not said that last part!

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-19-2009 at 22:40. Reason: Typos...

Well, okay, I guess you have a pretty solid argument there, Axalon; after all, the BOC did transition rather easily into AOR music. But I still would insist you listen to them live before you completely abandon them: ME-262, for example. And yeah, a lot of their stuff was mainstream, but their best songs were still early heavy metal; and to be honest with you, I'm still surprised that you or anyone else considers the studio Zeppelin to be Heavy Metal. I always figured it for weird glam rock, and nothing further. I mean, can you really show me a song that Zeppelin did that's more metal than "Hot Rails to Hell" or, more to the point, "Paranoid" or "Children of the Grave?"

I actually haven't heard of the albums entirely, but I vote Black Sabbath.

Just hearing the SONG, Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath... and you know you have something special there.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    Well, okay, I guess you have a pretty solid argument there, Axalon; after all, the BOC did transition rather easily into AOR music. But I still would insist you listen to them live before you completely abandon them: ME-262, for example. And yeah, a lot of their stuff was mainstream, but their best songs were still early heavy metal; and to be honest with you, I'm still surprised that you or anyone else considers the studio Zeppelin to be Heavy Metal. I always figured it for weird glam rock, and nothing further. I mean, can you really show me a song that Zeppelin did that's more metal than "Hot Rails to Hell" or, more to the point, "Paranoid" or "Children of the Grave?"
    But I have…. I have…. It’s a no go, even if it is decent rock but it’s just not good enough for me personally. It simply does not hit close enough to home, if you get my drift here, sorry…

The way I see it (right or wrong) there is a big difference between us. I make a distinction between heavy metal and hardrock while it seems that you do not. As I said before; I like/love hardrock while I loathe heavy metal. That will fup things for us while we try to understand each other.

You seem to have misunderstood me, regarding Zeppelin that is. I don’t consider them a hardrock band, I consider them as a rock-band that did excellent hardrock at times (especially in the early days). “Blackdog” is a good example of that, but hardly the only one. Finally, according to me, Zeppelin didn’t do metal….

However we are drifting away from Black Sabbath here…

- Cheers