Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boar Hunting

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Default Boar Hunting

1) Has anyone been?
    2) What jurisdictions is it legal to hunt boar with a spear in?

Thanks in advance.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Default Re: Boar Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    1) Has anyone been?
    2) What jurisdictions is it legal to hunt boar with a spear in?

Thanks in advance.
    I don't know where it's legal to hunt a boar with a spear but I can tell you it isn't smart anywhere. Boars are very dangerous and can seriously hurt the hunter, even fatally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    I don't know where it's legal to hunt a boar with a spear but I can tell you it isn't smart anywhere. Boars are very dangerous and can seriously hurt the hunter, even fatally.
    Yes, I'm aware.

I'm fairly sure that boar hunting (or at least those feral pigs that they have in the States) are legal to hunt with spears and knives from a quick Google (OK, it was a bunch of pictures of men with the spears and dead boars with an explanation of the hunt, so I'll just presume it was legal).

Boar hunting is one of my favorite types. I've hunted bear and mountain lion in the West and other dangerous animals in Africa but I've never experienced anything like a boar.

My first time actually turned into a rather tricky situation. Usually they either send you out with dogs or put you in a stand, but being 17 I went on foot with a bow - as I had something to prove. () It didn't take me long to find one as they rule the forest and don't even bother trying to be elusive. I popped him right behind the front leg in the kill box and, stupidly, immediately revealed myself as I didn't want to lose him. To my surprise, he didn't run off to die like most animals but charged me! Luckily I was able to empty a clip into him with my pistol before he got to me, but it was scary nonetheless. Sucker had some big tusks.

That was the only time I've ever had an animal try and fight back. I have a real respect for boar, and am much more cautious now when I get the chance to hunt them. While not as dangerous as some of the bigger animals I've hunted, they have an almost vengeful nature about them.

Not sure why you want to hunt one with a spear EMFM, but there are plenty of places in the Southeastern US that will let you do pretty much any kind of hunting you like, so long as you sign a substantial waver.

PanzerJaeger;2235536Boar hunting is one of my favorite types. I've hunted bear and mountain lion in the West and other dangerous animals in Africa but I've never experienced anything like a boar.

If by dangerous you mean lions and the like isn't that illegal in Africa?
    Last edited by tibilicus; 05-12-2009 at 23:49.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    If by dangerous you mean lions and the like isn't that illegal in Africa?
    Not at all. I've hunted the big five in both South Africa and Botswana, and it is legal in many other countries as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Not at all. I've hunted the big five in both South Africa and Botswana, and it is legal in many other countries as well.
    I thought they were endangered though?

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Killing animals for no purpose is a idiotic idea. I can agree with hunting if you put the animals to some use, but lions? Come on!

Quote Originally Posted by Fixiwee View Post
    Killing animals for no purpose is a idiotic idea. I can agree with hunting if you put the animals to some use, but lions? Come on!
    Backroom topic, and I don't have much interest in having the thread moved there. Thanks.

Backroom topic, and I don't have much interest in having the thread moved there. Thanks.
    Fair enough.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Make no mistake, boars will kill you if you're not careful
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    I thought they were endangered though?
    Not yet, but they're getting close. In Africa conservation almost always loses out to development.

Safari hunting actually subsidizes conservation efforts by making it economically viable to maintain these animal's habitats and encourage reproduction. It is very expensive and thus attractive to land owners who would otherwise destroy the range. (My father's last trip which resulted in an elephant and two buffalo cost about $32,000 all told.) The camp he usually uses is looking to buy surrounding farmlands to revert back to the natural range and increase their animal populations. I believe South Africa finally banned canned hunting, which will do even more good in that regard.

Not sure why you want to hunt one with a spear EMFM, but there are plenty of places in the Southeastern US that will let you do pretty much any kind of hunting you like, so long as you sign a substantial waver.
    Well, I could find a place to hunt a boar with a firearm fairly easily, but the spear sounds more alluring, in a way. I know boar are dangerous (I've lived most of my life in the country and know what animals can do to a person), and as such I'd like to ask if you know of any good organizations (for lack of a better word) who specialize in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Make no mistake, boars will kill you if you're not careful
    I'm completely aware of this and have been near boars before - I was asking specifically about spear hunting boar, if there are any places (firstly) where it is legal, and (secondly) if there are any places that offer a guided hunt with an experienced person (or people). I ask, of course, because I think that is a once in a lifetime experience I would like to have.

http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/

These guys know much more.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Well, I could find a place to hunt a boar with a firearm fairly easily, but the spear sounds more alluring, in a way. I know boar are dangerous (I've lived most of my life in the country and know what animals can do to a person), and as such I'd like to ask if you know of any good organizations (for lack of a better word) who specialize in this?
    Well, as far as I know hunting boar with a spear is legal in some of the US states that they are commonly found in - at least during primative season. These would include Alabama, Florida, and Texas, and probably more. (I know there are practically no rules for hunting boar in Texas.)

I do not know of any outfitters that specialize in spear hunting, but I don't think you'd have a problem finding a normal boar hunting operation that would let you use a spear.

How were you wanting to hunt them? With dogs? A tree stand?

Well, as far as I know hunting boar with a spear is legal in some of the US states that they are commonly found in - at least during primative season. These would include Alabama, Florida, and Texas, and probably more. (I know there are practically no rules for hunting boar in Texas.)
    That is good to hear, considering I was planning a trip to Texas sometime in my life.

I do not know of any outfitters that specialize in spear hunting, but I don't think you'd have a problem finding a normal boar hunting operation that would let you use a spear.
    Would they have safety precautions for the hunt?

How were you wanting to hunt them? With dogs? A tree stand?
    To be honest, it doesn't matter much to me.

That is good to hear, considering I was planning a trip to Texas sometime in my life.
    Heh, there's a big boar hunting community down there, so it shouldn't be hard to find what you're looking for.

Would they have safety precautions for the hunt?
    Well, if you go with a guide he will most likely have a gun in case things go sour. If you went by yourself, I would recommend carrying a pistol.

To be honest, it doesn't matter much to me.
    Well dogs would probably be best, as I can't imagine having much success lobbing a spear down from a stand - although that's how some people apparently do it.

Check this out.

If you come down here I have to show you all the wannabe Germans, That'll be more fun than your hunt

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Friends from work hunted feral hogs with a bow last month from an island on the Susquehanna river in Pennsylvania. I'm not sure any outfitters have spear hunts, you'd probably have to bring them to bay with a pack of hounds in order to get that close. I couldn't imagine what the insurance would cost for that. Why a spear, Tarzan?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

In my country, you can hunt all the boars in the mountain... With anything.... (personally I only hunt them twice (first when in Highschool boyscouts, second when camping with friends in the mountain in holiday two years ago), with air gun) they are nasty pests to farms after all..
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    notice... my country is Indonesia, and you wouldn't believe how many boars you'll meet in Java when you try to go hiking in the mountain.... the best thing is I love to eat them... very tasty!

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

They're considered pests over here so you can kill as many as you want. I've got a cousin who goes out every weekend if he can to keep down the numbers on my uncle's property. He's got some bloody good piggin dogs who I wouldn't wanna mess with.

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

lol got a death wish?

Agreed, lol. Some of those things are as tough as , and it takes a lot to stop them. They are vicious things, and death by boar is a nasty way to go. Your choice though I guess. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Blog Entries

my question- why a spear? is there something to prove? I can understand using a bow or a gun even... but the spear seems unnecessary, and a painful way to go.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

A bow is already pretty stupid, bring a gun, a big one. And a desert eagle for backup. "Javalina" is a breed, not the way to hunt them, think that caused some confusion.
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-13-2009 at 08:42.

Gotta agree with Frag, bring a gun. You DON'T wanna let a boar get that close to you, because it will likely win. Back in the day when people used to do it professionally, they often got hurt and killed. It is very dangerous to fight a boar with a spear. You are not Rambo...are you?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Well a gun wont help much. If you hurt a boar and it runs to you, the chances of hitting it are like zero for an untrained person.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixiwee View Post
    Well a gun wont help much. If you hurt a boar and it runs to you, the chances of hitting it are like zero for an untrained person.
    lol, then get trained! Being able to shoot is a healthy skill for anyone to know!

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Wink Re: Boar Hunting

Well, you should try using upperhand spear technique when fighting against boars! don't forget to get your armour and aspis though! If you wear full hoplite panoply and then hunting boars, I bet the police won't try to mess with you

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Just Vuk Again View Post
    lol, then get trained! Being able to shoot is a healthy skill for anyone to know!
    We already had this discussion and I'm not going to revive it. By law, I'm not even allowed to hold a gun for the next 10 years, because I refused millitary service and did civil service instead.
    Anyway, I read a statistic 2 weeks ago, that an american trained policeman has a chance of hitting a moving target at 3 feet at about 21%-25%. That decreases to under 10% up over 10 feet.
    What I am saying, shooting a gun at a fast moving small animal that's in rage and wounded is nigh impossible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast