Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold War Cataclysm. Sign up thread

Blog Entries

Default Cold War Cataclysm. Sign up thread

WARNING THIS IS A 1980 WHAT IF SCENARIO, NONE OF THE VIEWS OR ACTIONS POSTED HERE ARE MENT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. THIS IS A PURELY SPECULATIVE SCENARIO, IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED BY COLD WAR POLITICS DO NOT CONTINUE AND CLOSE THIS TOPIC.

I intend to start a non mafia game about the cold war within the next 2 months.
    This will be a game quite like Noble sons 2 in that you will take a country and lead it to victory or at least survive without getting turned to ash, think of this as the roleplayers dream. The difference is that you will be taking over a real country in the world during 1980.

I could go on but I want this thread up before 5 in the morning so I will just say this:
    Look at the map and if you are interested in playing, copy it and use micosoft paint to colour in the five countries you would most want to play. Realy, any country, be it russia or the holy see and you will get one of them, which one you will get will determine on which countries are wanted by multiple players.

Anyone interested?

Update

Nice to see that people are taking an interest. Allthough in hindsight I should have asked you lot to list them from top to bottom which ones you want the most to make dividing the countries out easier.

The game can have up to about 15-20 players and I might have to recruit a sub host to deal with the writeups. I am fine with just about anyone having the non nuclear nations like Poland, Canada, Switzerland, etc. but I am going to have to put a restraint on who gets the "Nuclear five" and India because there will be nukes in this game and I would rather not have them being fired off at random by a player that is easily rilled (Like in my days of playing superpower 2, when they peeved off the USA it got pretty messy). So USA USSR China UK India and France won be given out lightly but the rest are up for grabs.

As for the Actual game I am not sure whether or not to make unique goals for each player, get through 20 years with the most to show for it or, if it turns out this way, survive till 2000 without getting nuked.

Update 2
    The main 4 alliances will be Nato, the countries that have been persuaded not to become communist or being supported by a Nato faction, Warsaw pact and other Russian allies and their supporters.
    The main game will be each side trying to convert undecided nations and destroy or cripple any active supporters of the other side while using espionage, sabotage, assassination, coup attempts and generally terror to make the enemy weak enough so that you can win should Defcom 2 ever be declared. But that will be if neither side is willing to go on all out warfare over Europe and Alaska straight away and risk nuclear holocaust.

The factions that aren't taken by a player will be played by me. I.E. will pretty much act historically and otherwise just sit on their arses until a player interferes with them or an alliance member asks for aid from all members of said alliance.

Caius: USA
    Death is yonder: USSR
    Centurion 1: China
    Drizzt: UK.
    AVSM: Somolia
    Pevergreen : West Germany.
    White_eyes:D: Turkey
    The Flax: Pakistan.
    Beefy: Japan
    Blackadder: France
    Zim: India
    Navarro: Cuba.
    Khazaar: East Germany.
    Beskar: Iran.
    Ichigo: Italy
    Khaan: Indonesia.
    Jolt: Portugal
    Roadkill: Canada

Heres the final game rules and system summary.:

The rules and systems

The main rules
    1.When you want your country to do something PM me what you want and as long as it is realistic and you can afford it you should see its effects either in the writeup.
    2.Each turn will last 2-3 days 2 days for everyone to have a chance to get in on whatever discussion and to send in orders and one for me to do the calculations and all that and ATPG to do the writeups.
    3.Each order can be anything from a single sentance of "attack this with that many soldiers" or it can be paragraphs detailing the tactics to be used in each part of the plan. It might give you a bonus in combat but mostly it'll give atph more to work with,

Millitary system

I will keep this somewhat simple, each country will be given a set number of armies with a 1-10 tech rating. For each millitary action choose how many armies you will take from your reserves to devote to the actions. The more you send the higher the chance that you will succeed, simple?.
    The tech levels will keep countries like New zealand or poland, who have small but well equipped armies, from being killed by countries like venezuala who has a similar amount of armies but have troops using a poorer quality of weaponry.

Now most conflicts will be determined by a roll of a dice and the numbers that will have to be rolled to see which side wins will be subjected to modifiers like the tech levels and number of armies involved. Dont be afraid to send in tactics with your orders it will influence the writeup and, if its good enough, affect the chance of success.

One last thing, If your tech level is 5 levels below the country you are fighting you will lose automatically unless you outnumber them three to one. That goes both ways: if your enemy is still using weaponry like lee enfields or thompson machine guns that havent been used in 20+ years and you are using M16's and abrams (ie you are 5 levels above them) you will roll over them easily.

The espionage system

The most versatile method of war, Each turn you can ask for your secret services to concentrate on doing one fact finding mission, be it finding where the enemy is keeping its ICBN's or what cologne their chief of staff is using either way they will attempt to find out. Or you could just tell them to search for enemy spies which will add a bonus on to the spycatch score(I'll tell you later).

Each country will gain 2 ratings: espionage (1 to 5) and counter espionage (1 to 5).

Espionage efficiency is the main reference I will use to determine what dice roll you must get to succeed; If your score is 1 and you are up against someone with a counter score of 1 you will have to get a 6, if your score is five its a 2+, etc.

The counter espionage score is the modifier that tells me how much chance that your law enforcement and citizens will find enemy spies I.E. how many points are taken off of the enemies dice roll. A score of 2+ can be converted to a 5+ by having a counter espionage high enough to give you a score of 5.

Economics

Ok then I'll try to explain this as well as I can but YLC will probably have to correct me.
    Each turn you will earn 20 points per trading partner added to the base economy growth. You can spend your collected cultural exchange points on many actions, most of them I probably wont have thought of so if you dont see it on this meager list I'll just come up with a cost when asked:

1.a new army that will cost 10 points for each tech level you have, with a limit of one per day unless specified otherwise,
    2.a coup D'etat in a minor country for 30 points.
    I'm keeping minor espionage and sabotage free seeing as the price for an agent, a rifle and a pack of tnt is pretty irrelivent to a countries budget but medium actions will cost 10 points, major 20 points and epic actions like blowing up the pentagon or even bigger will cost 50 apeice.

Nuclear developement
    I wasn't planning to actrually let anyone develope and build nuclear weapons as I didnt realy think that there would be much point expecting any country other than the superpowers could afford to do it. I dont expect anyone will actually do it but if you can pull it off then heres the way: The process to go nuclear will be difficult and expensive for most countries. To start the process you have to stockpile 1500 cultural exchange points and tell me to start the program. You will then have to spend 3 years, 12 whole turns, without being attacked before you will get the capability to start making nuclear weapons.
    The prices for nuclear weapons will be as such:
    1.one ICBN for 20 points after completing nuclear developement.
    2.one nuclear missle suited for submarines will cost 10 points
    3.one nuclear bombing run for 5 points
    4.enough nuclear ammunition for an artillery volley for 2 points

The role layout:

I think I should have explained this through before sending them out but I think its too late to be thinking like that. Anyway if there were any part of your role PM's you didnt understand heres a description of each section.:
    Name

Government Type -
    The government type pretty much decides the B.E.G and having the same government will give you a bonus when dealing with a NPC.

Base Economy Growth (B.E.G) -
    This is the amount of economic points you will generate for yourself each turn the 10-50 means hat you the minimum you will get between 10 and 50 points per turn..

Cultural Exchange Points -
    This is the starting points you have.

Trade Good -
    This is the bonuses that each player country can give to their allies and trading partners. The bonuses affects the host aswell and it should serve as a sort of incentive for the superpowers to actually keep their allies and not try to absorb them as if they get kicked out of the game the effects are removed from the game with them.

National Attributes
    This is where I put the situational effects, national bonus's that you get over the other countries and minor abilities. I will keep track of the effects and bonus' for you but you will have to inform me when you want the ability to be used.

Military Tactic
    This was origionally supposed to be a seperate thing and I think one or two roles have one of these for everyone else this part was merged with the national attributes seeing as I couldnt think of an unique tactic for more than 2 countries.

Military
    Battalions at the ready -
    This is the base amount of battallions you support during peace time I'll increase this and the recruitment pool in proportion to the amount of land you take when you are fighting. At the start when you lose forces by not engaging in battle for 4 turns while you are recruiting you can quickly replensh up to this number.

Recruitment Pool -
    This is the amount of troops over the base line that you can recruit to your army the average recruitment rate is one battalion/army a turn unless I have stated otherwise.

Offence - 1-10
    How good your men are at attacking, this stat will be compared to the enemies defence to help determine whether you will win or lose.
    Defence - 1-10
    How good your men are at defending a position, this stat will be compared to the enemies offence to determine if you win or lose.
    Recon - 1-5
    How likely you will notice an attack before its too late to prepare.
    Stealth - 1-5
    How likley you will take the enemy by surprise.
    Morale - 1-10
    How long your troops can last while in harsh conditions (like constant hit and run attacks, harassment by snipers, fighting suicidal forces, etc) without becoming innefficient(penalties to offence and defence) or even mutiny(your soldiers could do anything from refusing to act or attack recklessly in a search for revenge)
    Tech 1-10
    I'll explain this later on but in effect is the difference from the US rangers to zulu spearmen.

Nuclear weapons

Number of nukes: 0
    Average yeild 0 KT

ICBN:
    SSNB:
    Bombers:
    Artillery

The main difference between each type of nuke is generally range: bombers are for short ranges like say they can go from the Paris to Moscow but wont be able to go from Calias to China, Artillery are for the next country over like Eastern France to West Germany.
    SSNB's, or nuclear subs, are the mobile launchers and can be placed in any sea as long as it isn't land locked like the great lakes etc. The closer you place them to the enemy the more chance you will be able to nuke them before they know what's going on but it also increases the chance of them being detected before hand which by the way is a very good excuse for war.
    And ICBN's, the silos, are able to hit anywhere from anywhere. Simple huh?

The main game play element that nukes will play is placement. You can make a country really sweat by putting a nuke in their neighbours garden. Remember you can't actually fire them unless Defcom one is declared this goes for every other officially nuclear country.

Secret service:
    Espionage: 1-10
    Counter:1-10

Special forces:
    This is pretty much where I explain how good your spies and special forces are. Unless your people are especially good, a superpower or in the two alliances it will pretty much look like this:

You have a regular Spec ops/secret service that can do minor and medium sabotage and espionage actions without much problem. Major actions like bombing an airforce base containing nuclear bombers, finding the locations of the enemies armour depots or even sabotaging the Kremlin/pentagon will need allied help if you want to have more than a 1 in 10 chance to succeed.

Special abilites:
    I dont think I have to say very much about this part. Its a powerful action or ability that only the recipient can implement.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 07-08-2009 at 04:01.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cold War Cataclysm. Sign up thread

Cant do what you askd because im at work, but I'd play Australia, Brazil, Egypt, Italy, Sweden.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Indonesia, Egypt, Somalia, Cuba, Bhutan.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Italy would be my first choice. The rest: UK, Turkey, Yugoslavia, or USSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Micronesia, Easter Island, Vanuatu, Maritius, and the Galapagos.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Japan, Iran, Cuba, Switzerland, United Kingdom.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

France, Switzerland, UK, USSR, Canada
    Strikeout!

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Besker took my first choice. So...

Korea, North Korea, China, Taiwan

Prepare to die
    Last edited by Beefy187; 05-13-2009 at 05:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

China, Iran, North Korea, USSR, Cuba

In, if I can play one of the badddddd guys.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

United Kingdoms, Poland, Chile, Israel, Greece.
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 05-13-2009 at 10:44.
    Micheal D'Anjou
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

West Germany, USSR, US, Czechoslovakia, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    Besker took my first choice. So...

Korea, North Korea, China, Taiwan

Prepare to die
    Beefy took ALL my choices
    Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink View Post
    Act all cool and stuff, only taka knows about your true noobness.
    Tainted Evil, Reenk's synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    taka points his finger at iskander and says "pew pew pew". He then points his finger at atheotes and repeats the odd gesture "pew pew pew". The other gunfighters look at him oddly.
    Gunfight at the O.K Corral

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taka View Post
    Beefy took ALL my choices
    You still have Hong Kong

Ok in that case

I'll change mine to, Thai, Indonesia, Vietnam, Mongol, India

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Blog Entries

OP Updated.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Looking for a Cul pRit Member Khazaar's Avatar

Doesn´t Israel and Pakistan have nukes too? Isn´t that one of the major deterrants against its neighbours?
    Last edited by Khazaar; 05-13-2009 at 15:13.

Blog Entries

Not before 1980 Apparantly Sorry wikipedia isnt the best source but its the best I could find. And even if they did they I doubt that they would be willing to use them around by then for fear of the US or russia taking notice.

Actually that could work, I could have emergant nuclear powers coming around mid game to spice things up. And there is the nuclear sharing going on between the Nato countries to be considered so I guess... I'm going to have to think about this.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-13-2009 at 15:28.

Looking for a Cul pRit Member Khazaar's Avatar

I guess it doesn´t matter for gamemechanics, they probably have a small stockpile only. I just dug out jarred fragments of information.

I´d pick (in order of preference): East Germany, Japan, Vietnam, North Korea or Denmark

Blog Entries

@ Kazaar: Not unless Blackadder has changed his mind recently.

I'm probably going to regret this, but seeing as noone else is taking interest in the USA, YLC will be USA should no-one try to claim it. I did say that the Nuclear countries weren't going out to the first slack-jaw that asked but I do actually need someone to play them

Updating the tally:

Tally of countires:
    Khaan: Indonesa, Egypt, Cuba, Bhhutan.
    Ichigo: Italy, UK, Turkey, Yugoslavia, USSR.
    Iskander: France, Switzerland, UK, USSR, Canada,
    Beefy: Japan, Taiwan, S. Korea, Mongolia, Thailand
    YLC: W Germany, USSR, US, Czechoslovakia, South Africa. USA
    Kazaar: East Germany, Japan, Vietnam, North Korea, Denmark
    The Flax: Pakistan, Turkey, Saoudi Arabia, West Germany.
    Captain Blackadder: Australia, East Germany, Poland, France

White_eyes:D: Pakistan
    ATPG: China
    Drizzt: Israel.
    AVSM: Somolia
    Beskar: Iran.
    Pevergreen : Sweden.

Remember just because someone else asked for it doesnt mean its definitate he will get it over you
    Tally depicting Uncontested countries per name:

Khaan: Bhhutan. Egypt, Indonesia, Cuba.
    Ichigo: Yugoslavia. Italy.
    Iskander: Canada. Switzerland.
    Beefy: Thailand, Mongolia, Taiwan.
    YLC: Czechoslovakia, South africa, US.
    Kazaar: Denmark, N. Korea
    Blackadder: Australia, Poland.

At this point if you wanted you could ask for one of the ones beside your name and you wouldnt get contested but I would advise trying for the prominent ones anyway.

Contested:

France: Blackadder, Iskander
    West Germany: YLC, The Flax.
    East Germany: Blackadder, Kazaar.
    Cuba: Khaan, ATPG.
    UK: Ichigo, Iskander.
    USSR: Ichigo, Iskander, YLC.
    Japan: Beefy, Khazaar.
    Vietnam: Beefy, Khazaar.
    Turkey: The Flax, Khaan.

Ive probably missed alot out so if you have issue with the tally just tell me.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-16-2009 at 12:20.

Blog Entries

I'm going to need at least 4 more people.

I'll take China now. Now, not later. China still cool. We much more awesome than dumb Americans.

Oh look what I just built. It thermonuclear missile. Would you like to order the Moo Goo Bye Bye?

I'll try to play it a little more authentic and a little less offensive during the actual game... unless everyone is cool with a "South Park" style impression of awesome Chinese dictatorship.

I think given the sheer number of countries, and also how close China and North Korea are, I should play both.

Perhaps everyone can pick a couple countries?
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 05-13-2009 at 18:18.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

Good now I can start coming up with a couple of military goals for china.
    And I would rather it be one person to one country or there will be one heck of confusion in roleplaying.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-13-2009 at 18:27.

Sign me up for hosting assistant if you need help with the writeups. To be fair, you have to just give me the results, I can't determine them myself.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

That was what I was thinking when I asked for sub hosts. Ok then.

The Search for Beefy Member TheFlax's Avatar

I'd like Pakistan, Turkey, Saoudi Arabia, Afghanistan (Is that even possible?), Federal Republic of Germany (Western Germany)

Last edited by TheFlax; 05-13-2009 at 20:06.
    TheFlax needs to die on principle. No townie should even be that scummy.

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

alright, I will go with Israel, I can live with that. go IDF!!!!
    Micheal D'Anjou
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will go with Iran.

I believe this is the beginning of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and in the time-frame of Iranian-Iraqi war and disagreements with the Afghanistan Taliban. All sorts of various events during this time period.

Unless some one who is Iranian wants to take over, I will allow them priority.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

How much are we going to follow history and the alliances in place at that time? I am aware that once the game starts we will be changing the course of history, but will we basing ourselves on all the previous events during the Cold War and the current crisises and wars in 1980?

Having majored in history and minored in international relations, I am very interested in this.

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlax View Post
    I'd like Pakistan, Turkey, Saoudi Arabia, Afghanistan (Is that even possible?), Federal Republic of Germany (Western Germany)

If TF gets west, I demand East Germany then

Quote Originally Posted by YLC View Post
    If TF gets west, I demand East Germany then
    Its my fifth pick, versus your first pick. I doubt I'll get since I want four others contries before that which nobody wants for now.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

If pever really wants Italy he can have it, and I'll take Turkey. If he doesn't then I'll take Italy.

Italy, Turkey, UK Yugoslavia, USSR.

From most wanted to the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast