Thread: Autoresolve is horrible again

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Default Autoresolve is horrible again

Indiamen can defeat galleons (and that is a lone indiamen)

A lone cannon can cause over 100 casualties

flintlock militia have an amazing ability to inflict high casualties even though statistically they are about the worst unit in the game

I realized how devastating this was when the AI was chasing down Indiamen usually they retreated far enough away to avoid attacks, but when forced I'd just autoresolve. Usually those indiamen lost but would take out over 6 cannons on the enemy ship.

So I get attacked by a damaged brig with 3 cannons and a galleon at full health against my indiamen. So I autoresolve and win.

Just horrible

I thought medieval 2 had the perfect autoresolve system. If you had a full stack of militias vs some uber 9 experience feudal knights you wouldn't take that many casualties because the odds were so great, In Rome it was horrible where a full stack of hastatis could take over 200 casualties vs 1 naked fanatic unit.

So why did they make autoresolve horrible again, well all I can hope is that they bring it back to medieval 2 standards when the odds are great you take few casualties.

So when autoresolving vs 1 or 2 units they get smashed badly
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Default Re: Autoresolve is horrible again

Most true. In medieval 2 autoresolve resembled what you can achieve in the battle if you play without much thinking.
    In Empire, you're forced to fight those boring battles and autoresolve the interesting ones (e.g. i sometimes feel like a cheat, but I am beating the iroquis and innuit to pulp due to autoresolve).

Maybe I am just a bad general, but against europeans I always do much better than autoresolve. Against indians autoresolve is king. Just stick a unit of grenadiers in the stack and chill...

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Agreed.

I made a fullstack of generals only and they got defeated by 2 demicannons and 1 milita. Lost all of them and inflicted 9 casualties.
    Played it myself, I lost just about 12 men and not a single unit.

What I think is that:
    a. Artillery count for a lot in autoresolve, especially if you have at least 1 infantry in the stack as well
    b. Light infantry counts for just about nothing
    c. Cavalry don't count for much
    d. Galleys/Light galleys cannot beat anything - I sent 1 sloop to attack 9 light galleys. Sloop won in autoresolve. In manual battle, the galleys tore the sloop apart.

Also, when you win an autoresolve agaisnt the AI in a field battle, both sides usually take equal casualties even if your army clearly outmatches them. If you lose a field battle agaisnt the AI in autoresolve, you always lose more than 70% of your force. Very fun indeed. Can't even autoresolve against an enemy 2 unit raiding stack anymore without taking more casualties and possible losing the battle or the AI surviving miraculously (because autoresolve favors it and lets it keep 50% of its force) and getting transported for free even deeper into my territory.

Note I usually play VH/M, so battles (autoresolved) are considered M, not VH.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oaty View Post
    Indiamen can defeat galleons (and that is a lone indiamen)

A lone cannon can cause over 100 casualties

flintlock militia have an amazing ability to inflict high casualties even though statistically they are about the worst unit in the game

I realized how devastating this was when the AI was chasing down Indiamen usually they retreated far enough away to avoid attacks, but when forced I'd just autoresolve. Usually those indiamen lost but would take out over 6 cannons on the enemy ship.

So I get attacked by a damaged brig with 3 cannons and a galleon at full health against my indiamen. So I autoresolve and win.

Just horrible

I thought medieval 2 had the perfect autoresolve system. If you had a full stack of militias vs some uber 9 experience feudal knights you wouldn't take that many casualties because the odds were so great, In Rome it was horrible where a full stack of hastatis could take over 200 casualties vs 1 naked fanatic unit.

So why did they make autoresolve horrible again, well all I can hope is that they bring it back to medieval 2 standards when the odds are great you take few casualties.

So when autoresolving vs 1 or 2 units they get smashed badly
    I can sedond your impressions about autoresolve: it's complete crap now. Not so much when full stacks clash (then the result is more or less what you say: the result you'd obtain without much thinking on the battlefield), but cleaning up the small raiding groups or enemy army remainders (before replenishing) is a real pain in the ...

I've had situations when a dozen or so (not a dozen units, but rather a dozen soldiers) enemy survivors kill a couple hundred of my line infantry in autoresolve... Same with cannons (groups of which, btw, the AI loves to send to raid... back to the old good RTW days when we were bogged with fighting "mighty" AI artillery hordes): if I send 2-3 cavalry units to clean them up, autoresolve would usually give me a loss... Playing myself, I'd annihilate the cannons.

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir View Post
    Note I usually play VH/M, so battles (autoresolved) are considered M, not VH.
    I forgot, wasn't it the other way around, as in - your campaign map difficulty directs the autoresolve result?
    Last edited by Slaists; 05-18-2009 at 14:32.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

i hate auto-resolve, officially.

in a battle, i was stuck with a th rate against a galleon. i couldnt retreat, and decided iwould try to de-mast it, then use the wind and finally stick my ship in front of the enemy ship, gluing them together and letting fast-forward tear them to bits(hooray for exploits!!). in manual battle, i guess they fixed that bug and i couldnt get them stuck together. however, i did manage to end up with only 12 cannons destroyed, destroying 20 enemy cannons. i had to fight again and lost, so i tried loading the save again.

tried auto-resolve; not a single scratch on the enemy ship: mine destroyed 100%. gay.

and once i put up a few 6th rates against a galleon fleet in madagascar, and won with autoresolve. i guarantee i woulda lost that..........plus i ended up with 3 galleons as the marathas >:)
    Last edited by Prussian to the Iron; 05-18-2009 at 18:20.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

There seem to be some recent changes. It has had a ridiculous result on the auto resolve. Also some of the auto resolve values have changed.

I faced a rabble army of one line infantry some 3 cavalry units and a lot of militia and they scoped out better than my veteran army coming out of North America.

Of course I did not auto resolve that! I kicked them all over the map and got a decisive victory.

I did auto resolve against one 3 lb galloper gun and lost 80 men!!! How totally absurd! I guess we are back to the AI building their idiot cannon corps, and just when I thought they had improved the AI build quality.
    Last edited by Fisherking; 05-18-2009 at 19:55.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

The worst was me attacking the AI and facing 2 stacks composed of 70% demi-cannons and the other 30% being pikemen and provincials.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir View Post
    The worst was me attacking the AI and facing 2 stacks composed of 70% demi-cannons and the other 30% being pikemen and provincials.
    haha....in my knights of st john campaign, my invasion of spain put me up against 2 demi's, a general, and 10 pikemen. needless to say, they got destroyed by my 4 line inf, 2 pikemen, genreal and 2 regiments fo horse.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object