Thread: Computer acting up, what could it be

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Computer acting up, what could it be

Hello,

Got a problem since a while and figured that maybe its time to post about it.
    Few months back it started. Got into windows and right after the welcome screen, the screen would go black. Somestimes, it would get stuck like this forcing me to hard reboot. Other times, it would go to the desktop and no problems. And yet other times, it would flash between desktop and black screen a few times. After the stuck in black times, I sometimes got a windows error message (critical error) on my next boot, which pointed to my graphics driver having a problem.
    So I wiped that one off and reinstalled it (even redownloaded it - its an old driver but the best driver for my card and of course directly from the manufacturer). So far so good. I don't get the black screen quite as often now.

However, what happens now is, rarely (yes, rarely) once I get to my desktop, there may be some distortions, like the wireless popup message saying I'm connected getting discolored and forcing me to hide and then reshow my systray to clear the "artifact" (or just run an application that overwrites that space). Or like today, I go from welcome screen to a few seconds black screen to my desktop to find that the welcome screen is semi imprinted onto my desktop. Had to change color and back to fix (well only took that anyway).

In addition to the above, and that may be unrelated, once in a while, very very rarely, turning on my laptop results in it not even going to the boot screen, just stays black at the very start (i.e. right after pressing power button). Happens often when I forget to turn the power on and it relies on the battery, but also when the power is on, just more rarely. Can reproduce this almost 100% though if I turn on the powersupply and immediately press the laptop power button - I always thought that's due to the electrical surge going through the laptop because when I turn on the powersupply, I always notice a few seconds later that the lights on my laptop go on and then off again quickly.

I think the problem is mainly paragraphs 1 and 2 and 3 is probably nothing, but I figured I'd include it just in case.

System details:
    Dell Inspiron 9400 (BIOS A09)
    Dell 0YD479 Mainboard
    Intel Core 2 CPU T7400 (L2 4096KB) @2.16GHz (actual 2.11)
    WinXP MCE 2005 SP3
    NVidia GeForce Go 7900 GS (101.19)
    2048 MB (332.5MHz) Dual Channel DDR2 RAM
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 05-14-2009 at 10:43.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)