Thread: Your Eldest Character

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Default Your Eldest Character

In my current GB campaign I've had 3 main characters live beyond 80. Isaac Newton survived till his 87th year, and good thing because I would have been even farther behind in my tech without his nine star rating. My Caribbean Admiral, Leach I believe?, lived to the age of 81. He was my pirate hunter/killer, and attained a seven star rank before the old sea dog breathed his last. His 4th rate flag ship accumulated 5 chevrons.

However, King William III out did them all by living to the over-ripe old age of 97! The old lecher held me back, cost me more $$$, in my economic building development, and didn't help in the diplomacy arena either. He did take care of his troops though, so as an Empire builder/expansionist, was a useful monarch in that regard. He just lived about 10 years too long for my liking.

Must be something healthy in that English beer.

So, who was your oldest character in the campaign?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Lightbulb Re: Your Eldest Character

Beat this: :P

The odd thing is that he actually spawned at 106 - only lived two years. Rubbish value for money...
    Last edited by Fwapper; 05-16-2009 at 23:43.

Self proclaimed loser of 'User Who Looks Most Like His Avatar' competition.

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Default Re: Your Eldest Character

What I love are the 80 year old queens, if women looked like that in their 80's back then we must be doing something wrong today. And of course there is the occasional queen with a mistress
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I don't pay very much attention to my characters (names, age, anything but stars really) and I haven't ever since M2:TW, when the whole system seemed to have lost something. I miss the R:TW system so much that I'm almost tempted to reinstall.

Playing as Sweden, one of my conquesting generals lived to the ripe age of 97!!! He fought over 30 battles with an enemy presence greater than 500, captured 9 cities, and never lost a battle or retreated. Not a bad career...

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    I don't pay very much attention to my characters (names, age, anything but stars really) and I haven't ever since M2:TW, when the whole system seemed to have lost something. I miss the R:TW system so much that I'm almost tempted to reinstall.
    Ah the curse of nostalgia... I would advise against actually reinstalling, it almost always leads to dissapointment :)

Self proclaimed loser of 'User Who Looks Most Like His Avatar' competition.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

In the original version of the game I think the Spanish gentleman was already over 90 and only lived a few years.

Now he is only 59, but he still dies by the time you get the first or second tech.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fwapper View Post
    Beat this: :P

The odd thing is that he actually spawned at 106 - only lived two years. Rubbish value for money...
    egads! And I thought I got hosed with 68 yr old admirals...

Longest I had was a general who spawned with 6 stars at 1704 as the sweedes. He was around till he died in battle in 1767. He was young though when he started.. 30-40 years old, compared to my usually 50-60 year olds...
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

They seem to always be older if you recruit them from Generals Bodyguards.

There is no way to know how old a brigadier is so it is a matter of luck for the most part.

I always seem to get 72 year olds who die the first time I try to move them. If they are younger then they just seem to be assonated by some rake when you are about to go into battle.

The new expense of promoting them is also another drain on resources….

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I wonder if the age of promoted generals & admirals has anything to do with the age/length of service time of the unit one promotes them from? You're always getting those death notices about captains & brigadier generals from your oldest/longest serving units, so maybe that's why you get an elderly general or admiral when promoting from those units.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    I wonder if the age of promoted generals & admirals has anything to do with the age/length of service time of the unit one promotes them from? You're always getting those death notices about captains & brigadier generals from your oldest/longest serving units, so maybe that's why you get an elderly general or admiral when promoting from those units.
    That reminds me of a minor bug in the game but haven't seen it come up since the latest patch. When you scupper a ship it apparently puts the captain in a rowboat in the middle of the ocean. The only reason you know this is he dies 30 years later in that small rowboat and when you click the magnifying glass it focuses on the water
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    Ah yes, that's the link. I just recruited 5 Line infantry then recruited 15 generals, 8 from one unit and a couple from each of the others. Most were early 30's and 20's. oldest was 38, youngest 22.

i executed queen Maratha in like 1750ish when she was like 100 or so, after leading a successful rebellion :P
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"