Thread: More agressive ads and a virus

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Default More agressive ads and a virus

The day before the "forum error problem" I logged on and while perusing the forums an audio ad for "Lime Away" played. No way to stop it without logging off. Log back on and this thing insisted on playing. I let it play through, and haven't been bothered since.

Last night after the "forum error" trouble had been fixed I logged on. A bunch of started down loading in the back ground, and then I get a notification from my virus protection program that a virus had just been blocked. Bloohound.Exploit.196 I don't know if it has anything to do with the banner ad "forum error" problems or not. I use IE version 8. Norton 360 virus protection.

Anyone else experience any of this stuff recently while on the org. ?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Exclamation Re: More agressive ads and a virus

Get Kaspersky. Norton and McAfee aren't worth a crap. Long time ago, when I was not yet as interested in computers or malware, I had McAfee. Then, when I became the computer nerd I am, I found out about Kaspersky and got it. Cleaned up my computer big time. All that stuff existed with McAfee. Norton is much worse. Heck, even Spybot S&D could outperform it in certain situations. As for AVG and Avast, you might as well not have anything.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Default Re: More agressive ads and a virus

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post

I use IE version 8. Norton 360 virus protection.
    There is a removal tool for the Norton virus

Seriously that thing has historically done more bad than good...

Avast is quite good and free too.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I had the same problem, but it doesn't stay every time. It'll eventually go away...I think...(get's paranoid and runs Spybot again)
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

I haven't had a single ad, or pop-up, running on IE, on an unprotected computer.

Now I'm on firefox and spybot, being paranoid.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I ran a complete search right after the Forum error. But apparently, nothing was found.

I did experience a blue screen due to overheated computer, but I don't think that was caused by the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Heh, according to this test, Norton and McAfee have some of the best detection rates, afaik Norton has been improved quite a bit over the years.
    I'd see the problem in your browser, Opera or Firefox are quite a bit safer than IE and IMO also easier to use and faster. Doesn't mean ads with viruses are fine but you gotta protect yourself I'm afraid.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I've been redirected to random sites a couple of times when trying to access some forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

I use ad-blocker (for firefox), so I'm never bothered with adds.
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Same for me ive never been bothered with pop ups because of firefoxes blocker feature, i truly enjoy this feature (just switched to firefox)

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Bloohound.Exploit.196 seems to be a lo-spread, lo-threat exploit that targets your Acrobate Reader.

That is, if you have it at all. It appears that Bloohound.Exploit.196 is a false positive in Symantec's virus detection. Symantec even keeps popping Bloohound warnings on Jezus' own homepage which we all know is guaranteed malware free.

Looks like they fuzzled their definitions again at Norton, which means that you probably never had this exploit anyway. And yes indeed, Norton is the worst God-awful crap ever invented, which is why Bill Gates made it the standard anti-mal for every Windows install. Having experienced Vista, I suppose we all see the logic now.

Which in turn means that you should delete Norton with extreme prejudice, install FF with AdBlock and live happily ever after.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 05-23-2009 at 12:50.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Talking YOU're Not Going to Make it

Gravely ill, a man went to the doctor with his wife. After theexamination the physician motioned for the wife to meet him in thehallway.www.kkfff.com"Your husband is very sick, " the doctor said, "but there arethree things you can do to ensure his survival. First, fix him threehealthful, delicious meals a day. Next, give him a stress-freeenvironment , and don't complain about anything. Finally, makepassionate love to him every day.On the drive home the husband asked, "What did the doctor say?""I'm sorry, " she said, "but you're not going to make it.