Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Makedonian Battles - Competition - Download and play the Battle of the Week!

Default Makedonian Battles - Competition - Now the best 3 victories score points

This is a competition consisting of 4 (A)Historical Battles created by me. Download the battle of the week, play it, and post your results! The player with the best victories wins!

Roleplay:

The Basileus managed to rally a good number of young men, amazed by the possibility of marrying his daughter, Troias. But in his haste, the Basileus forgot to assign a Commander to the expeditionary force...

You are one of the young men who left Makedonia in search of Troias. You now march with your compatriots hoping to stand out in the battles. Before each encounter, the leaderless men propose strategies to defeat the enemy. Can you create the best strategy?

Gameplay:

1) Make sure you have EB 1.2 with all fixes. Remember that modified unit stats will skew the results!

2) Download the battle of the week, extract the folder to /EB/Data/world/maps/battle/custom and play it as a Historical Battle. Remember to take a screenshot of the victory screen.

3) Report your victory, including in a post to this thread:
    - A screenshot of the Victory screen.
    - Comments about what you did to win and your thoughts about the battle.
    - OPTIONAL: Which unit you'd like to have in your army in the next battle. It would be hired as mercenary.

4) Additional Information:
    - Battles must be played in Medium difficulty.
    - You can play the battle as many times as you want and report different victories as many times as you want.
    - You have 7 days after the battle was released to report your victory. Play and report as soon as possible!
    -(CHANGED) After the 7 days, the player who reported the best win (less losses) will gain three command stars (), the second player two command stars () and the third player one command star () in my ranking.
    - The player with the most command stars after the end of the last battle will win the game.
    - If 2 or more players have the same number of stars after the last battle (a tie), an extra battle will be released.
    - You may report a victory even if you missed a battle from last week or previous weeks.
    - You won't really get someone's hand in marriage for winning.

Battles:
    Battle I
    Battle II
    Last edited by Molinaargh; 05-24-2009 at 00:04.

Influence:

Default Re: Makedonian Battles - Competition - Download and play the Battle of the Week!

Description: In search of the beautiful (and rich!) princess Troias, the Makedonians crossed Epeirote lands and were attacked by enemy skirmisher cavalry. After a long persue, the cowardly cavalry found themselves a wall of spears to hide behind.

How can the Makedonians penetrate the pointy barrier? Surely there is a loose brick, a weak link. You still don't get me? There is a weaker type of phalanx unit in there!

Download links:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TOY47LBA
    OR
    http://rapidshare.com/files/23380231...tles1.zip.html

Attachment deleted by me due to storage limit. Try the links above and PM me if they don't work.
    Last edited by Molinaargh; 05-23-2009 at 23:55.

Influence:

Default Re: Makedonian Battles - Competition - Download and play the Battle of the Week!

Example Report:

Elite Phalanx is Elite for a reason! But I knew exactly what to do because I created the battle! My victory doesn't count for the game, but can you do even better than the creator of the battle?

And give me some Levy Phalanx, please! I love that unit!

This is what victory looks like.

Influence:

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

You sir, just discovered something wonderful. A balloon for you Be sure that I'll try this one out ASAP

Maion
    ~Maion

nice , will be downloading .... does the .exe being used come into play?

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    You sir, just discovered something wonderful. A balloon for you Be sure that I'll try this one out ASAP

Maion
    Thanks Maion! Note that I didn't choose the name of the Makedonian Captain randomly

I'm eagerly waiting your results, but don't blame me for historical innacuracy of the Makedonian formation

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat View Post
    nice , will be downloading .... does the .exe being used come into play?
    Very likely to. But if anything I think the AI only gets better with the newer .exes, so use them at your own risk!

Influence:

Loving being a Member Ghaust the Moor's Avatar

Ooo, cool. I will download and play soon. DIE EPIROTES!!!! (OMG!!! Did I just say that?)

btw great idea , this was a lot of fun can't wait for the next installment, princess troias here i come, but i spelled your name wrong.

Please, someone beat this result so i can play the battle again
    Son of the Glorious Empire of Croatia
    traits: Distrusts Hairy Middle-Easteners, Reverant, Austere, True Roman.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Molinaargh View Post
    You won't really get someone's hand in marriage for winning.
    Oh, man. You're kidding me right?

Maion
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Magnus View Post
    I think with that result you ended the competition too soon

Good luck beating this, guys. And great job, Titus Magnus
    Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    Oh, man. You're kidding me right?

Maion
    Sadly I don't have any spare princesses lying around.

Influence:

this comp is getting close

Last edited by mountaingoat; 05-17-2009 at 09:50.

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

getting close
    You have more men left. Doesn't that mean you are now winning?

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

yeah , but there wasn't much in it .... if you get me

i'll edit my post
    Last edited by mountaingoat; 05-17-2009 at 09:50.

MAKEDONIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone thinks they can go better, I think I can go better as well so BRING IT ON!!!

I love those assault infantry, I wanna start a makedonia campaign just so I can use those fellas, those
    axes are awesome.

I had one quite glaring error though, but I don't think it was because of your game, and minimizing rome
    to check wether the screen shot had worked seemed to fix it.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Loving being a Member Ghaust the Moor's Avatar

Well I didn't win, here yah go:

Hey, well I tried

this comp is getting close
    Closer than you thought, miotas already beat your result! Now, can you beat his?

Quote Originally Posted by miotas View Post
    MAKEDONIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone thinks they can go better, I think I can go better as well so BRING IT ON!!!

I love those assault infantry, I wanna start a makedonia campaign just so I can use those fellas, those
    axes are awesome.

I had one quite glaring error though, but I don't think it was because of your game, and minimizing rome
    to check wether the screen shot had worked seemed to fix it.
    Great job miotas, and watch out for Titus Magnus, he will want to beat you (in the good sense )

I'll watch out for that error, I have no idea what could cause it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaust the Moor View Post
    Well I didn't win, here yah go:

Hey, well I tried
    Thanks for trying Ghaust! I hope you had fun, that's all that counts

At least that's what we losers like to hear

Influence:

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

HOIST YOUR XIPHOS HIGH INTO THE CLOUDS!!!
    ALL HAIL MAKEDONIA!!!!!

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Lol i sucked so hard at this battle, had only around 700 men remaining... Hope i will do better on the next one

P.S.
    Why do the macedonian Hetairoi look different in this battle? They have different horses
    Last edited by anubis88; 05-17-2009 at 15:37.
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Lol i sucked so hard at this battle, had only around 700 men remaining... Hope i will do better on the next one

P.S.
    Why do the macedonian Hetairoi look different in this battle? They have different horses
    Hey, I won it with 600
    The next battle will be a lot harder. Wait and see!

I haven't finished a campaign with Makedonia myself so I wouldn't know about the Hetairoi.

One thing I noticed is that units heal randomly after the battle, adding the factor of (a little) luck in the results, but that factor may decide the winner. I'm not sure what we should do about this. For the first battle the rules will remain unchanged: winner will be decided based on how many men remained, regardless of how many healed. Your thoughts?

I would rather ignore the healing factor simply because it is annoying to do the math for each battle and to have to post 2 screenshots. We can consider the healed men a gift of Zeus to the Makedonian

Influence:

Yeah, unless there's a way of disabling the healing factor, i would agree with you. Do you know why you have different horses?
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

On to Roma then...
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 05-17-2009 at 19:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Yeah, unless there's a way of disabling the healing factor, i would agree with you. Do you know why you have different horses?
    No, sorry. Must be because I used a generic hellenic unit rather than the specific Makedonian one.

Influence:

Oh i'm gonna try to top that right now... here i come <100 casulties

Not quite under 100 but it'll do for now until some one beats it, btw under 100 was very attainable. I made a few mistakes...

Not quite under 100 but it'll do for now until some one beats it, btw under 100 was very attainable. I made a few mistakes...
    The gauntlet's been thrown down!

I know what you mean, I made few mistakes as well. I'll go for round two when I get home and see if I can't beat ya!

ALL HAIL MAKEDONIA!!!!!

oh the guantlets have been off since my first post lol, btw its unfortunante we have to play as the boy-loving greeks, wish i could switch sides when the roman battle begins

keep them coming

may zeus smite the goat from the mountain!!

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

I suppose one could simply do a little image editing...
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

With regards to the amount of men that get healed, there's a simple solution. Just take the number in the victory screen, and minus however many are healed, and that's the number that can be used.

Nevermind, just read Molingaargh's post.
    Last edited by MButcher; 05-18-2009 at 05:05.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast