Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detective/Investigator type games??

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Detective/Investigator type games??

I was thinking about this recently.
    Anyone interested playing a game where crime have already committed and Detectives need to solve it within a certain time limit?

I thought some basic rules for it. They are not completed but if people are interested then I'll finish them soon.

The idea is that Detective with 3-5 assistants need to solve a crime within 10 turns(1 turn ~24 hours) or so. If they can't then Criminal wins the game. Besides Detective and his assistants there will be 3-4 witnesses and 3-5 suspects(one of then is Criminal) who can be interrogated by detectives. They may or may not have some useful information. Detectives can also collect some items from the crime scene that could help investigation. If detectives arrest Criminal then their Chief will be happy(they win the game) but if they arrest a wrong person then their Chief is not that happy(players will have 1-2 turns less time to catch the real Criminal) and if they can't solve the crime then detectives will loose.

Hope this makes sense.

Default Re: Detective/Investigator type games??

Sounds fun, would be hard to make it right but it could be done.

Blog Entries

I have thought about this for some time now. It's kind of Mafia game without daily lynch and nightly kill.

This can be played with minimum of 9 people(1 Detective, 3 Assistants, 3 Suspects(including the Criminal), 2 Witnesses).

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

I came up with a very similar game, I'd like to send you all the ideas I came up with. I fear that I don't have the skills necessary to pull it off, but there's a lot of good ideas in there.

Do you want my notes?
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

I would be happy if you could send them!
    Everything that helps is welcomed!

Best if I can send it via email attachment. Please PM me your email addy.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Well, it's not quite mafia so it needn't go on the queue. Start it whenever you're ready.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Best if I can send it via email attachment. Please PM me your email addy.
    Done it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Well, it's not quite mafia so it needn't go on the queue. Start it whenever you're ready.
    Good to hear!

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I'd be interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

If I get to know the rules, you can count me.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Why dont port Cluedo here?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

GROOOAAARRR!!! Stop stealing my ideas! that I stole...

I already have a Clue-themed mafia mystery game planned. So don't worry about that. You can find it on Pizzaguy's Corner.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

This sounds a lot like the Phoenix Wright (and Apollo Justice) series, except on a forum and with multiple people.

Sounds pretty cool! I'd liek to see you pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spL1tp3r50naL1ty View Post
    This sounds a lot like the Phoenix Wright (and Apollo Justice) series, except on a forum and with multiple people.

Sounds pretty cool! I'd liek to see you pull it off.
    You are not the only one!!

Anyway, I will post how I see this game later today.. Kind of a Guide..
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 05-22-2009 at 13:32.

Blog Entries

Here is how I think this game could be played.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Start of the Game
    A write-up with the description of the Crime Scene and with the names of the Suspects will be posted by me. All evidences that Detectives can collect will be in Bold text.
    * Turn 1(Day 1) - Location: Crime Scene
    All Witnesses are present and they can share what ever information they have with Detectives.
    All Detectives can collect 2 evidences that can be examined later in the Police Station. They can do this whenever they are on the Crime Scene.
    In the End of the turn Senior Detective can choose between 2 locations(Crime Scene and Police Station) where people will be in the next turn.
    He can also call one of the Suspects(or Witness) to the Police Station for questioning.
    * Turn 2(Day 2) - Location: Senior Detectives choice
    Crime Scene - If Senior Detective chose Crime Scene then it's much like turn 1. They can collect evidences but there will be no Witnesses who could help them anymore. Also, they can not question Suspects(or Witnesses) on crime scene.Finally, they should remember that Crime Scene Cleaners have visited CS and finding any clues will be a lot harder.
    Police Station - Detectives can question their first Suspect. Senior Detective can give orders to other Detectives what evidences they could examine or whether they should do a Research on one of the Suspects. Skills of a detective will determine how detailed report they will receive from me when the next turn begins.
    * Turn 3(Day 3) - Location: Senior Detectives choice
    Same as turn 2 but Senior Detective have the ability to arrest whoever they think is the Criminal. He should post a motive and at least one evidence that could support that motive when he makes the arrest. If a wrong person is arrested then Detectives will loose and Criminal will win.
    * Turn 4(Day 4) - Location: Senior Detectives choice
    Same as turn 3..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Roles:

-Senior Detective-
    * Can choose the location for each turn.
    * Can give orders to other detectives whether they should do a research or examine evidence.
    * Can call Suspects/Witnesses to Police Station.
    * On turn 3 and later he can arrest whoever he thinks is the Criminal.
    WIN: When the Criminal is captured
    LOOSE: When he fails to capture the Criminal

-Detective-
    * Will receive a report from me whenever SD have ordered them to research someone or examine evidence.
    LOOSE: When they fail to capture the Criminal

-Witness-
    * On turn 1 they can help Detectives by sharing whatever information they have about the crime.
    * Later they can research suspects. They can not reveal these results unless they are called to Police Station.
    * They can post "messages" when ever they might have an idea who is the Criminal or they want to share the results of their research. Other than that they can not post in the game thread.
    LOOSE: When they fail to capture the Criminal

-Suspect-
    * It is in his best interest to help Detectives to find out who is the Criminal.
    * Can collect one evidence per turn from the Crime scene and examine it only if Detectives are not there.
    * They can post "messages" when ever they might have an idea who is the Criminal or they want to share the results of their research. Other than that they can not post in the game thread.
    LOOSE: When he is arrested or they fail to capture the Criminal

-Criminal-
    * Can research other Suspects or collect one evidence per turn from the Crime scene and examine it only if Detectives are not there.
    * Before turn 1 he can plant evidences to the crime scene in order to frame other Suspects.
    * He can post "messages" when ever he want to share the results of his research or he want to confuse detectives. Other than that he can not post in the game thread.
    WIN: If he is not captured.
    LOOSE: If he is captured.

Maybe a "Contact" role could work?

You know, a person that has an alibi about certain suspect.

And add a lot of players, of course.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Blog Entries

Those Suspects who are not guilty will have an alibi but only most skillful detective can find that out.
    Their skill level(from1 to 5) will determine how good are they in certain area(research or lab work) but they can not reveal their level in public(or in a PM).

Must say that I didn't know that it is a difficult game to set up. Don't want the detectives to find out who is the criminal within first 3 turns.

If there is still interest then I'll try to start a small game next week.
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 05-26-2009 at 22:17. Reason: spelling

You can count with me.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Sultry Gangster Babe Member Diana Abnoba's Avatar
    In a Gangster's Paradise, eating lobster and drinking fine wine.

This sounds so cool, I would be very interested in playing. I love this sort of game. We need CSI lab people also, or will we just get "results" from the lab. Let me know how it is going, and when you think this game will start. I will make sure I'm not in too many other game at the time, so I can play this one.

IN!!!
    Sultry Mafia Babe
    Diana Abnoba- Goddess of the Hunt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Abnoba View Post
    This sounds so cool, I would be very interested in playing. I love this sort of game. We need CSI lab people also, or will we just get "results" from the lab. Let me know how it is going, and when you think this game will start. I will make sure I'm not in too many other game at the time, so I can play this one.

IN!!!
    Good to hear!

You will get those 'results' from me. I'll PM them to detectives who have done a research or examined an evidence.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks promising, but I think I might watch first game instead of playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

@ Ibn-Khaldun:

Here are some ideas I thought of:
    (you can use them or not it is up to you, it is your game)

You can make this sorta a mafia game; maybe around 15 players
    have detective, and his partner, a CSI that collects the evidence, maybe a regular beat cop that's 1st on scene, and someone else like maybe a profiler (whatever)-and these are your "pro-town" roles.

Next 5 more players that are also town, but regular townies, can make them witnesses or just have a "writeup" of the witnesses statements (you- as part of evidence) however you want to make them. If you have players that are only witnesses and can't "vote" or decide on any action taken place they might get board and not play, and just lurk. Instead of voting for a lynch, all the town can "voice" in thread what they want the detective to do next, or who they think is the murderer (whatever- needs some work), but detective has final say, maybe other "pro-town roles as well.

Then "mafia" are the 5 suspects, but only 1 is the killer. They can lie about their involvement, try and throw off the town...they will need their alibis checked (and that will take a round)...

To keep this going for a while, it takes 1 round to get results from fingerprints... but 2 rounds for DNA results, so town can't wait until last round to pick their "murderer". Town can only Pick 1 the whole game, their final suspect (and this will be the one that ends the game- if town is right they win, if they are wrong mafia wins) You will need a reason to try and obtain fingerprints, DNA... from suspect. Like probable cause.

So this would be more real life detective work/case. Does any of this make sense? Sorry I get to rambling at times. Any questions please ask in tread or PM me.

Thanks for listening (reading) all of this.

Best of Luck in putting this together!

Can't wait to play!
    Sultry Mafia Babe

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Should make it like an Agetha Christie novel.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

No, a little less drama, more CSI.
    Sultry Mafia Babe

Blog Entries

I never watch CSI, but love the likes of Poirot.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I love the forensic science shows. CSI (all of them), and tru TV with real cases on forensic files, cold case...and ID TV with Extreme forensic, and anything with profiling serial killers...fascinating what science can do now to solve crimes.
    Sultry Mafia Babe

Blog Entries

Indeed, that is true, but you can never forget the roots, the logical arguments and solid detective work by a cunning mind, solving cases where science can be no help to.

This is true! I love it all. The people that really do that for a living, the cops, detectives, CSIs, lab techs... I admire greatly. I very hard, usually thankless, job. None of them make the money that they should.
    Well along with, teachers, nurses, social workers...many more. It seems to me when a job involves helping others, and needs a special kind of person to fill that position, the pay is never enough.
    Sultry Mafia Babe

First 48 is good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

Yeah, I like that one also.
    Sultry Mafia Babe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast