Thread: EB compared to other RTW mods

Default EB compared to other RTW mods

Now given that I'm posting this on the EB forum I expect answers to be slightly biased, but never mind.

I never played mods on RTW when it originally came out until I gave up on it a couple of years later. Then when I started to get back into it, I looked around for mods and decided to try EB. I've really enjoyed playing it so far (disclaimer: I'm currently not playing any games due to exams and won't be until mid-June - but then I have all summer), but eventually I might give another one a go.

The question is, what do people think of other mods, and how do they compare with EB in terms of fun, variety, difficulty etc

I might add that this is purely out of interest, I'm still quite happy with EB for the forseeable future

Classical history is interesting. Especially when accompianied by EB.

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

Default Re: EB compared to other RTW mods

NO, sorry...just NO.

The answer is obvious, thats y everytime this gets posted up it gets ugly. A good while ago it got REALLY ugly, so NO.

Sorry, but I hope you understand.

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Each and every mod compares to each other the same way as apples and pears compare to each other.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Hmm . . .I'll be a little more naive and briefly toss out an opinion on a mod. The Crusades: Total War was a fantastic mod, though it became largely outdated and died with the coming of Medieval 2. There were only two factions (Crusaders, Saladin), and because of the detail of the map, the large movement by armies, and the stunning soundtrack, it had a sense of immersion rivaled only by our very own EB.
    Balloons collected:
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Armenia, Vanilla BI Western Roman Empire and Berbers

well you're asking that question in a modding site where people are so damn dedicated that they really don't care about silly questions like that..........sooo yes EB is a hell lot better that crappy realism(in my opinion anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by AttilaDerHunn View Post
    well you're asking that question in a modding site where people are so damn dedicated that they really don't care about silly questions like that..........sooo yes EB is a hell lot better that crappy realism(in my opinion anyway)
    People do tend to care when you call their hours and hours of free work "crappy", especially when they are dedicated...

Threads asking to compare different mods lead to stupidities such as this.
    Threads asking opinions about mods - without comparing them to each other - are OK (although it will always end up in comparing and worse), but this kind of threads should not be posted on the subforum of a certain mod, but on a more general (modding) subforum.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 05-18-2009 at 16:48.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

I think this thread should be moved to its proper location (the Tavern, maybe?)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    or ed.

I'd give you a detailed critique of the mods I know, but not on the EB fora.
    Last edited by athanaric; 05-18-2009 at 16:58.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

EB is for the history nerds. Other mods are maybe made for other kinds of players. There are maybe some more action-orientated players or some who like the focus on a special faction (like rome). Although I dont play any other RTW mods than EB exept for rise of persia, when I'm bothered by those EBish decades of loading time.
    Last edited by ziegenpeter; 05-18-2009 at 16:58.

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Lol I should have known better. I was going to post this in the general RTW mods section but that's hardly ever used now. Anyway, I'm quite happy with the wonderful, amazing, unsurpassable EB for the time being. As for problems with loading times, you never met my old computer...

Classical history is interesting. Especially when accompianied by EB.

I will not say any comperations since I have played few mods anyway, but I can say that at the moment EB is the most accurate historically.

@madbriton: I suggest you look at the hosted mods for R-TW on the forums here or take a look at TWC (total war center) forums. They have some good ones there.

However which you find enjoyeable depends alot on your personal taste....

I for example love EB and I might try some other mods which concentrate on different areas. I was thinking on Rise of Persia (I was always interrested about Archemenid Persia and the warfare of that age) and Forth Age: Total war (am just reading the Lotr and I like "that if" kind of games). EB will always stay on my comp anyway so I still might try other mods.
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

I feel a lock coming up.

4x
    1x

I enjoy:

-Rome: Total Realism
    -Rise of Persia
    -Fall of the Republic/Rise of the Empire
    -Europa Barbarorum

Depends on my mood. It's impossible to say whether one mod is better than the other, it might just have other points of focus.
    This space intentionally left blank.

I played RTR for a while and i found it good because of battle balance (battles last much longer than in vanilla and player had more time to do some real tactics).

But then ive discovered EB: it beats RTW in balancing... not to mention historical things...

EB, from my point of view, is the best mod for RTW, and the best game ive ever played

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ziegenpeter View Post
    EB is for the history nerds. Other mods are maybe made for other kinds of players. There are maybe some more action-orientated players or some who like the focus on a special faction (like rome). Although I dont play any other RTW mods than EB exept for rise of persia, when I'm bothered by those EBish decades of loading time.
    do not be so sure many Eb players like me blitzers
    I have played RTR years ago the first RTR mod I had played. It changed a lot...
    RS has huge map no scripts but after I turned my choice on 4tpy I started to play EB and IBFD.
    but really it changes according to your mood. All are good work and enjoyable to play.
    Some tips for all; Archers are killing machines in RS, RTR, In EB Phalanxes are.

P.S. the worst part is you have to separate different RTW folder for each mod! I just passed 20 GB for 5 mods...
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 05-18-2009 at 22:33.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Damn, of course I forgot about IBFD. Great mod, havent played it much lately.
    And I would also play a LOT of Arthurian TW if it were modfoldered...

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Threads asking opinions about mods - without comparing them to each other - are OK (although it will always end up in comparing and worse), but this kind of threads should not be posted on the subforum of a certain mod, but on a more general (modding) subforum.

This can sum up all threads directly or indirectly related to such a topic.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Post Re: EB compared to other RTW mods

Well, I have tried just about all mods there are, and all of them disappoint me with their issues. All of them are too incomplete, unbalanced, and most of all, the campaign map and the traits system has not have even been touched.

Such as IBDF. Splendid, stupendous, and just in the right time period for my tastes. Yet at the same time, too incomplete. Which is why I am now modding its campaign map, rare resources, and traits. Not to mention the unit stats, especially that of the onagers, which are the most overpowered unit of all RTW mods. Onagers in IBDF shoot flaming missiles with greater accuracy than the normal stones in vanilla/EB!!!! The result is that by the time an enemy full-stack army comes close to me, I usually destroy half of them with only two units of onagers.

Oh, and did I mention that while Roman cataphracts come in units with 30-something horsemen, the Sassanid catas, Savaran, have more than 100 horsemen in a unit (all Large Unit Size).

So anyway, about my modding, I am actually importing the siege units and traits from EB, while creating my own traits as well.

EDIT: Mmmmmm, Big Lebowski....
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 05-18-2009 at 23:28.