Thread: EBII Cataphract Formation

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default EBII Cataphract Formation

Would it be fitting in the EB time period to give certain horse units a formation that makes them get close together so they can deliver a more powerful charge?

The wedge is nice but it never really works rights in the engine and seldom worth it so this might be a worthwhile change.

Also, any discussion on how to better represent period cavalry tactics would be nice. EBI was a bit too impacty for my tastes.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Default Re: EBII Cataphract Formation

It would be quite awesome to see actual fluid cavalry action, with horsemen swooping to hit a man then backing up to safety just to lunge back to the fray. Instead of making a charge, and after that just stop, and stand amongst the enemies just hacking away, while the enemies hack him.
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: EBII Cataphract Formation

Also, any discussion on how to better represent period cavalry tactics would be nice. EBI was a bit too impacty for my tastes.
    I think the problem with altering combat dynamics is the way the A.I. deals with this. It is all very well if you change cavalry to be more suited for skirmishing and less for charging, but that's not going to do much good if the A.I. still insists on using them as a battering ram.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

'Sides, from what I know period horse did their skirmishing with javelins and such and charged in earnest when they did - preferably at flanks or rear (FOR CRITICAL DAMAGE), as frontal assaults against steady close-order infantry had a bad habit of either falling short as the horses themselves hit the brakes (potentially leaving the whole squadron floundedring and open to a swift counter-charge by the infantry) or getting repulsed with casualties if they managed to press home but not break the opposition.

In which case in EB1 at least all the necessary "skirmishing" comes from the immediate double-click fallback the alert player pulls to disengage his horse from the fight before they suffer too much...
    Last edited by Watchman; 05-19-2009 at 21:18.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

I meant do better in melee rather than have most cavalry doing massive damage in the charge. Maybe tone down the impact damage except for all but the super heavy cavalry and increase melee a little bit. The AI isn't particularly good at telling its horses to pull out anyways and even light cavalry can mess up your day with a quick devastating charge.

:-\

Also, I don't think anyone's figured out a good way to make horses charge through stuff. I saw the implementation in stainless steel but battles involving cavalry turned into hopeless messes since horses ran everywhere and any notion of order exploded as the horses engaged each otehr and everything in a 100m radius.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

I dunno, from what I gather most cav - in any period really - was rather better at doing damage at the charge (although in most cases the impact was above all *psychological* - hard to put that in the game though) than even surviving extended melee with unbroken infantry... around the only exception that springs to mind would be some iterations of cataphract-style fully armed horse.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

M2TW cav will fare really better, because they're now automatically switch to their secondary sidearm.... (no more pointy stick combat)

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

:-\ alot of times the pointy stick was better because it had AP.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

and pointy stick combat cause death against levy spearmen... or even a very same type of horsemen that have also ap secondary...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Doesn't even need to be AP, depending on the unit involved. Though I must say that in EB1 I've found it very effective to swamp Eastern FamiCav catas with those axe-wielding dudes in shirts on horseback - the kontos being all but useless in melee against that sort of warrior.
    Last edited by Watchman; 05-20-2009 at 21:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Doesn't even need to be AP, depending on the unit involved. Though I must say that in EB1 I've found it very effective to swamp Eastern FamiCav catas with those axe-wielding dudes in shirts on horseback - the kontos being all but useless in melee against that sort of warrior.
    Kontos wielding units with any experience are pretty freaking monstrous.

I had one unit of companions that just ate anything thrown at them. 10 attack man, 10 attack.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

True but its been my observation that with heavy cav vs heavy cav, sometimes the spear works better than the secondary weapon if that secondary has no AP. I've been trying to figure that out forever... Is it spear bonus/mount effect + AP?

Medium cav just evaporates vs Heavy cav unless its ridiculously high end like Campanians even those Thracian Prodromoi with those AP sabres die horribly....

The big cavalry lances in the game (Kontos etc) have 0.4 lethality along with AP and the spear bonus which combines to make them very powerful against cavalry units.

I personally would never change to the secondary weapon when engaging other cavalry as the spears are usually far more effective.

ps Thraikioi Prodromoi's sabres aren't AP, they have 2 higher attack and 0.01 less lethality compared to the normal Prodromoi swords.

That said they do look absolutely bad ass.
    Last edited by bobbin; 05-21-2009 at 03:14.

Spear bonus ? Like Hell they do. Only infantry gets that, period. The cavalry lances just get crazy-high lethality values, to go with some hardcore attack-speed penalties and AP - decent enough for dealing with armoured opponents I guess (though I'm pretty sure at least maces are a better option, and usually kopises too), but nigh useless against hordes of unarmoured foes relying mostly on high defskill.

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

I prefer square formation for charges it makes more damage than wedge.
    Plus For Pahlava breakthrough is the worst logical tactic that favours wedge formation.
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 05-21-2009 at 11:14.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Yeah, I usually do a 3 deep formation for attacking and a square for maneuvering in true STW HA fashion. Wedge is aways bugged since TW has never had a true representation of physics and mass and stops after the first three men hit(the only use I ever found for it was to hit between 2 units).

That's why I'm suggesting changing wedge to a denser brick so that it'll be useful. I've heard of Cataphracts lining up 'knee to knee' but I'm not sure if dense formations like you see in depictions of later cavalry units(Knights and Hussars) are what its refering to.

Spear bonus ? Like Hell they do. Only infantry gets that, period. The cavalry lances just get crazy-high lethality values, to go with some hardcore attack-speed penalties and AP - decent enough for dealing with armoured opponents I guess (though I'm pretty sure at least maces are a better option, and usually kopises too), but nigh useless against hordes of unarmoured foes relying mostly on high defskill.
    Oops my bad, must have been dozing when i typed that. Maces and axes are better than the lance but i find kopises a bit too weak for the job(usually have low lethality), those nasty pickaxe things the saka cataphtacts get are pretty effective as well.

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

Though Parthian Cataphract has AP maces, I found no difference with Parthian Noble Ctaphracts' swords. In fact I use archer cataphracts. more casulty they cause but of course they got tired more.
    And the worst tactic for them (Parthian Armoured Horse archers/ Archer cataphracts or cataphract archers) cantabrian circle. Though I cannot remember they had it or not.
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 05-22-2009 at 11:32.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Really, it is. They are heavily armored exactly so they can just sit and shoot. I actually used my general as a decoy in my Parthian campaigns since I couldn't afford any heavy HAs.

IIRC at some point in the past I entirely removed the wedge from the EDU, because it sucks under the engine. Human players are too smart to use it, and when the AI tries to it just nerfs its cav...

Ditto for the Circle from any unit with armoured horses. Nobody in their right mind tires his warhorse out like that, after all.

I'd rather square formation becuse wedge is just a bit stupid. Especially with your FM's, normally charging with wedge gives an 80% chance of killing your FM (unless vs missile). An alternative would be nice.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

I hate to be a necromancer (speaking of which I'm going to confess after this), but, in real life, what was the purpose of the wedge formation?

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Quote Originally Posted by Alsatia View Post
    I'd rather square formation becuse wedge is just a bit stupid. Especially with your FM's, normally charging with wedge gives an 80% chance of killing your FM (unless vs missile). An alternative would be nice.
    But the FM's have the rally ability, not wedge. Right? Or is it different in MTW2? I guess I should install and play it, as it has been on my shelf for almost a year...
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

Quote Originally Posted by russia almighty View Post
    I hate to be a necromancer (speaking of which I'm going to confess after this), but, in real life, what was the purpose of the wedge formation?
    To break through enemy lines.

Well, that's a programming failure. Wedge does almost nothing except for placement.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon