Thread: "quique est barbarus alio"

Question "quique est barbarus alio"

Little question: Who is this quote from?

I tried to google it, but found nothing...

Default Re: "quique est barbarus alio"

it's actually quisque est barbarus alii.

I dunno. I think the EB team made this one up
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

It roughly means "Everyone is a Barbarian to someone (else)", which is kind of what EB stands for.
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

closely; alex has said "For me a good barbarian is greek, a bad greek is barbarian."

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Yep, unfortunately the EB team forgot that Alius is not a second-declension noun. I'm hoping it's something they'll fix in EB II. -M
    My Balloons:

If you want to know more, I suggest you do a forum search (can't be bothered myself at the moment, though) for this topic. Should bring up at least one prior discussion.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies.

I am not so much interested in the correct latin form. (there is indeed another thread about that)
    I was more interested in where this sentence came from, from which author I mean.

Or did the EB-team made this up?
    Last edited by Haxamanis; 05-20-2009 at 21:42.

Something Witty Goes Here Member Zeibek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haxamanis View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replies.

I am not so much interested in the correct latin form. (there is indeed another thread about that)
    I was more interested in where this sentence came from, from which author I mean.

Or did the EB-team made this up?
    Like it's been said yes, the EB team made it up to crystallize the aim of the wonderful EB mod. There is a quote from Alexander ("for me a good barbarian is greek, a bad greek is barbarian", by whom it is related I can't remember) that bares some resemblance to it but that's where it ends.

A red 'bloon for a red sig from Aemilius Paulus

Quote Originally Posted by Mulceber View Post
    Yep, unfortunately the EB team forgot that Alius is not a second-declension noun. I'm hoping it's something they'll fix in EB II. -M
    As someone said, we had this debate a while ago. It turns out there is an adverb "alio" which means "to someone/someplace else" (should be in a latin dictionary I think), and we had a discussion about whether alio was appropriate in the context of the phrase.

So I'm not sure that anyone got it right or wrong. In order to come to a view you would have to do a survey of the use of alii and alio (ie. alio the adverb, not alio the declension of alius) in ancient texts.

αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν Member tsidneku's Avatar

I apologize as my Latin is rusty.

As far as I can remember, "alio" can come either as an adv or as the sing. m. dat. form of alius/a/um. Wouldn't either of these uses serve the purpose of our quote here?

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

The topic of the accuracy of the grammar was brought up a while back both on the public forum and on the internal forum. I don't know if the team ever decided on giving an official response to the discussion.

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

And besides, the guy's already said he doesn't care...
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Hi,

Because nobody seemed to be able to help me with the source of the EB-motto and I really wanted to know, I did some serious searching. I didn’t think the team made this one up because I thought I remembered reading it before… somewhere…

Finally I found the author of the quote. Now I can sleep again. So all is well and this thread can be closed.

Thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Haxamanis View Post
    Hi,

Because nobody seemed to be able to help me with the source of the EB-motto and I really wanted to know, I did some serious searching. I didn’t think the team made this one up because I thought I remembered reading it before… somewhere…

Finally I found the author of the quote. Now I can sleep again. So all is well and this thread can be closed.

Thanks anyway
    And who is?

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Yep, who? It's like in detective story when all suspects are in one room the detective says: "After three sleepless nights I finally know who the murder is, now I can go sleep, bye."

my balloons

Quote Originally Posted by Andronikos View Post
    Yep, who? It's like in detective story when all suspects are in one room the detective says: "After three sleepless nights I finally know who the murder is, now I can go sleep, bye."
    Yeah, I'm shaking the table and yelling "WHO IS THE AUTHOR? I WANT TO KNOW!!!!" Nah really, tell us please. :o

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

I'm sorry. I had a serious eureka-experience and forgot to share the info with you.

The thing I found (in english translation) was this: "... there is no man or nation which is not considered barbarian by some other..." which is approximately the same as the EB-motto.

This line is written by Bartolomé de Las Casas in his book Apologética historia sumaria in the 1550's. De Las Casas wrote about different barbarians (native americans) and in a different time, but you can clearly see how his humanist/renaissance knowledge was based on classical (and biblical) sources.

For the context of this quote I copied a piece of the translation I found into this post:

"CHAPTER CCLXIV. THE MEANING OF THE WORD "BARBARIAN" AND THE SEVERAL CLASSES OF BARBARIAN PEOPLES

In certain places above we have referred to this term or word "barbarian," which many call and consider these Indian peoples and other nations to be. Sometimes in the Holy Scriptures and frequently in holy decrees and lay histories barbarians are named and referred to, especially since the Philosopher [Aristotle] makes particular mention in his Politics of barbarians. Many times I find the term wrongly used, owing to error or to confusion between some barbarians and others. In order therefore to avoid this error and confusion I wish to explain here what it is to be a barbarian and what nations can properly be called barbarian. For such a clarification one must make the following fourfold distinction. A nation or people or part thereof can be called barbarian for four reasons: first, considering the term broadly and improperly, for any strangeness, ferocity, disorder, exorbitance, degeneration of reason, of justice and of good customs and human benignity; or also for evincing opinion which is confused or flighty, furious, tumultuous or beyond reason. Thus, there are men who have deserted and forgotten the rules and order of reason and the gentleness and peacefulness which man should naturally possess; blind with passion, they change in some way, or are ferocious, harsh, severe, cruel, and are precipitated into acts so inhuman that fierce and wild beasts of the mountains would not commit them. They seem to have been divested of the very nature of man, and the word "barbarian" thus signifies a strangeness and exorbitance or novelty which is in discord with the nature and common reason of men....

The second manner or species of barbarian is somewhat more limited; it includes those who lack a written language corresponding to their spoken one as the Latin language corresponds to our own. In short, people who lack the practice and study of letters are said to be barbarians secundum quid, (1) which means that they fall short by some measure or quality of not being barbarian, because in all else they can be wise, polished and lacking in ferocity, strangeness and harshness. Because the English lacked the practice of letters, the Venerable Bede, who was an Englishman, translated the liberal arts into the English language so that his people would not be considered barbarians.... In like manner, it is customary to call barbarian a man whose manner of speech is strange compared to another's, when one does not pronounce well the language of the other or when in conversation people do not manage to deal and converse with one another. According to Strabo, Book XIV, the first occasion the Greeks took to call other peoples barbarian was when the latter mispronounced the Greek language crudely and defectively. Hence there is no man or nation which is not considered barbarian by some other.... Just as we consider these peoples of the Indies barbarians, so they, since they do not understand us, also consider us barbarians and strangers. From this has arisen a great error in many of us, laymen, ecclesiastics and monks, concerning these Indian nations of diverse languages, which we neither understand nor penetrate, and of different customs. People of every profession and quality came to these lands from our nation after these people had lost their republics and their order of life and government, for we had put them in such great disorder and so reduced their numbers that they became almost completely annihilated. These arrivals find them in this state and think that the confusion and abasement in which they now live was always so and comes from their barbaric nature and disorderly government, while in truth we can affirm that in many ways they have seen in us no few customs which, with justifiable reason, might cause us to be taken for extreme barbarians by them -- not so much barbarians of this second type, which means strangers, but of the first, for our being exceedingly ferocious, harsh, severe and abominable....

(1) Secundum quid means in some respect. This is in contrast to simpliciter, or absolutely, which is used later on. "

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/lascasas.htm

Wow, thank you.

Honestly, the meaning of the word barbarian is pretty simple:

if you're a greek from before Rome conquered Greece, Barbarian means anyone who doesn't speak Greek.

if you're a Roman, or a Greek who lives in Roman-controlled Greece, Barbarian means anyone who doesn't speak Greek OR Latin. -M
    My Balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by Mulceber View Post
    Honestly, the meaning of the word barbarian is pretty simple:

if you're a greek from before Rome conquered Greece, Barbarian means anyone who doesn't speak Greek.

if you're a Roman, or a Greek who lives in Roman-controlled Greece, Barbarian means anyone who doesn't speak Greek OR Latin. -M

Well, there are a few meanings...

I - A tyrant
    II - Someone that you dislike or disdain
    III - Unwashed people of the classical era smashed into three categories.
    IV - My cousin
    V - A bully
    VI - A group of people you don't understand (Greeks did not understand non-greeks, Romans disdained and knew little of the Gallic tribes except there were one big mob)
    VII - Someone that does not speak latin or greek
    VIII - Everyone in Europe , infact anyone that speaks english (because the barbarians took over, killing the roman/greek populations, the "Civilised, hence the barbarians of then rule the world. English originated from Germany)
    IX - ......

So the EB team rephrased it and translated it. Nice.
    It came from a medieval scholar????

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Mid-1500s isn't "Medieval" by any measure I'm familiar with. Historians usually refer to the 1500s-1600s as the "Early Modern Period" instead.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

interesting, wasnt that the guy who first came up with the idea to Import Workers from Africa to America as slaves?
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Mid-1500s isn't "Medieval" by any measure I'm familiar with. Historians usually refer to the 1500s-1600s as the "Early Modern Period" instead.
    True, officaly the Middle Ages ended in 1492.

Missed by eight years.....

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Imperator Mundi Member Marcus Gallicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    interesting, wasnt that the guy who first came up with the idea to Import Workers from Africa to America as slaves?
    IIRC he convinced the Spaniards to stop using the Aztecs as slaves and use Africans instead.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: "quique est barbarus alio"

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Gallicus View Post
    IIRC he convinced the Spaniards to stop using the Aztecs as slaves and use Africans instead.
    Weren't it the Caribbeans? They were very susceptible to European diseases and died in droves, so he argued it would be more humane to use the tougher Africans. Which makes some sense, I guess, although I wouldn't use the word humane to describe the American slave trade.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!