Thread: Problems calculating the income

Default Problems calculating the income

Hi, I'm new to the forums, so I appologize if my question has already been answered. I tried searching it here, but couldn't find anything. So here it goes:
    I just thought I got to understand how economics work, and then this happened:

As you see, I have two mine complexes + a meager basic income of the province + a governor with 4 points in acumen and no vices or virtues. So why do I gain so little?

Default Re: Problems calculating the income

[img][/img]
    Here's the picture. That link posting prohibition before the first post sucks.

[img=https://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3539/sardinia.th.png]
    I totally screwed up with the post above and I'm so sorry. Appologizes, everyone

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Welcome to the Org, Majorman!

Lets break down Sardinia. Base farm income is set at 120, with no trade goods, but silver and salt mining available. A silver mine complex should earn you 156, while a salt mine complex should earn 52. Straight farm income should be 120 (or is it 120 x .52?). The governor should add +40% (to all, or just trade/farming?). Very curious why your income is so low. What's the income breakout from the economy scroll for Sardinia?

Does your king have any bad vices that affect income?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Member Member Knight of the Rose's Avatar

Hi Majorman, a wholeheartly welcome,

Your question made me fire up one of my Italian campaings, and I took a round over the numbers:

Tuscany:

three fether acumen king
    five fether acumen duke
    Steward
    Normal tax rate
    60 % improment

Real End result: 504

Startpos 360 x 1,06 x 1,5 x 1,1 x 1,6 = 1007

Difference factor: .51

Milan:

three fether acumen king
    No duke
    40 % improvement
    Normal tax

Real End result 295

Startpos 390 x 1,06 x 1,4 = 578

Venice:

three feather king
    seven feather duke
    20 % improvement
    normal tax

Real End result: 476

Startpos 430 x 1,06 x 1,7 x 1,2 = 930

Difference factor : .51

So in these three provinces the farming income was reduced by 49 %. Something I didn't noticed before today. I wondered if campaign difficulty played a part an opened new campaign difficulty 'Easy'

Venice:

five feather king
    No duke
    no improvement
    Normal tax

Real End result: 245

Startpos 430 x 1,1 = 473

Milan:

Five feather King
    no duke
    no imp.
    normal tax

Real end result: 222

Startpos 390 x 1,1 = 429

Difference factor: .53 (?)

So it's basically the same. I'm a little to lazy to actually check my rounding, which could explain the last result.

In your campaing Sardinia:

It's really to early in the game to have negative v&v's, and the Italian empire is also to small - they would only arive later as you get close to 40-50 % of the map

For arguments sake 2 feather King
    Four feather duke (this we know)
    Normal tax

Mine complexes: 156 + 52 = 208
    Farming income: 120 x 1,04 x 1,4 x 0,51 = 89
    Total expected income: 297

Real end result: 138

Say a disaster struck leaving income halved, but in real game terms not actually halved completely but only approxemately. That would be my best guess until we know more.

/KotR

So for those calculations (been too lazy to ever check myself), I'm guessing that the province farming income from the startpos file is multiplied by 0.52, just like mining and cathedral income is. 52% is supposedly chosen as there are 52 weeks in the year, maybe a holdover from the 4 seasons in STW?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of the Rose View Post
    Say a disaster struck leaving income halved, but in real game terms not actually halved completely but only approxemately. That would be my best guess until we know more.

/KotR
    Disasters, of course.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Member Member Knight of the Rose's Avatar

Hehe clever system - instead of entering the yearly income in the startpos, you enter the widely used 100 week year income and multiply it with .52 later. Beautiful, though I guess there is a reason. It would be funnier if there wasn't one, though

/KotR

EDIT: Should this lead to a change in the wiki?
    Last edited by Knight of the Rose; 05-21-2009 at 07:24.

Thanks for the answers.
    Well, I returned to that savegame and did some testing. I first demolished the silver mine and then the salt mine. So it must be a glitch:
    [img=https://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2536/sardinia2.th.png]
    [img=https://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8289/sardinia3.th.png]
    What's the last gameversion?

Latest version with the Viking Invasion expansion is 2.01.

What probably happened was a natural disaster or famine for that particular year in Sardinia. These are random events, and will generally halve the income for the year.