Thread: To Dell and Back- a short (but true) story

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default To Dell and Back- a short (but true) story

it was a quiet day in Hooahland. Hooahguy was surfing the web on his laptop, a Dell Vostro 1500. in the front hallway, his little brother, age 2, dropped a small plastic toy on the side of the hallway, where everyone in Hooahguy's family puts their bags for school the next day. after he is finished using his laptop, Hooahguy put his laptop in his bag and dropped it in the front hallway. not too hard, but not too soft either.
    an hour later, Hooahguy realized he left a file on his laptop, and went to retrieve it. lo and behold, what did he find? a horrendous dent on the front, which disabled the use of the front buttons that controlled volume and the like. apparently he dropped his laptop on top of the toy, whcih casued the dent. horrified, he contacted Dell tech support. after a few minutes, they told Hooahguy that they would replace the chassis of the laptop for free.
    it was two weeks before Passover, and Hooahguy needed it for his research paper, so he didnt send it in just yet.
    after much thinking and fretting, he sent it in the day before he left for Passover break, having been assured that they wouldnt send back the laptop until the 19th, when Hooahguy was to come home from passover break.
    all Passover, Hooahguy fretted over his laptop, for he accidentally included the hard drive instead of taking it out.
    he got an email on the 6th day of Passover that the laptop was sent back. Hooahguy uttered a bitter cry, cursing the fact that apparently Dell techies dont follow directions.

when he gets home, Hooahguy is annoyed to find out that after 3 tries, Fedex is keeping his laptop at their shipment center, 20 miles away. so into the car he goes, wasting gas, and got his laptop.
    when he got home, he eagerly opened the package up, and found it, at first glance, in perfect condition. after a bit though, he noticed that his fan wasnt working, and his laptop was getting very hot. he didnt think anything of it, except the fact that all his games went much, much slower and there was a ton of lag.
    two weeks after he got it back, he noticed that something was going wrong. his laptop was locking up every so often. soon the problem was that after locking up, it stayed locked up. so he called Dell again, and after a diagnostics check, he had to send his laptop in. again.
    now Hooahguy was very annoyed. apparently the techies at Dell broke the fan and heat sink when they replaced the chassis.

a week goes by. he got his laptop back. eagerly, he opens the package once again. while the fan was working, the locking up problem persisted. Hooahguy uttered a bitter cry towards the heavens.
    he called Dell again, and when he was connected, he began yelling at the person at the other end of the line, being so incensed he lost all sense of reason. the line went dead. he tried again, and once again, yelled at Dell again, and was disconnected again.
    finally learning his lesson, he called a third time, and politely described the situation, and calmly requested a whole new laptop. the techie said he would see what he could do.
    in a bit, he came back on the line and requested me to book up on safe mode. Hooahguy did, then he told me to do a system restore. so Hooahguy did, and lo and behold, the problem was fixed!

so ends this saga...
    time will only tell if Hooahguy ever buys a laptop from Dell again....

---------------

AUTHORS NOTE: everything in this story was true, nothing was made up. honest.
    thanks to Gregoshi for giving me the idea.
    feel free to give feedback!

i find it really ironic that all this was caused by a little plastic baby toy....
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 05-20-2009 at 20:47.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

Default Re: To Dell and Back- a short (but true) story

Short end of the stick: Buy AlienWare.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Alienware is dell. They're overpriced and after some years, you won't get a good customer service.

Buy from xoticpc.com. Custom laptops FTW
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Where does the bit about dropping the toy come in?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Where does the bit about dropping the toy come in?
    oops. thanks, i fixed it. read the beginning again.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    oops. thanks, i fixed it. read the beginning again.
    Ah, I see. And here's me thinking you were showing off your literary technique with a cunning foreshadow...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.