Thread: Little, but huge, concern

Default Little, but huge, concern

Is it going to be frustratingly impossible to give traits to generals in this EB as well? That was something that made Role-Playing my leaders somewhat difficult. When I wanted them to be hard-eyed, soul-less conquerors and yet they turn into sissy pansies trait-wise with their love of beauty and such junk it was a bit disheartening to say the least.
    All men will one day die, but not every man will truely live.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Little, but huge, concern

Then use your generals to spend all his time campaigning!

You won't get those sissy-pansy traits when you fight like men... not just sitting in the city

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Sorry Darius, but the problem seems to be on YOUR side. As you may note, only the starting traits are somewhat random. But the subsequent ones develop largely depending on what you do (or not do) with your characters and whether your actions are in harmony with what their starting traits seem to predispose them to.
    Therefore I would say that if you want to role-play your FMs, you just should actually role-play them. Look what traits you new FM already has and think about what such a man would likely do and act accordingly, rather than stick to your preconceived idea that the Faction Leaders first son will eventually become a secod Alexander despite the fact that he is dull/uncharismatic/langurous fat boy. Do not let your phiantropes to exterminate cities. Do not let your ambitious and able governors roam aroud backwater province with a hadful of troops. ROLE-PLAY and you will see that your FMs are starting to gain just the right traits that suits them (and usually also to your wishes).

P.S.- And be polite when askig anything from the Team. I personally understand your post as phrased in arrogant ranting, which is hardly conductive to make others to work very hard to fulfil your wishes.
    Last edited by V.T. Marvin; 05-21-2009 at 08:23.

I honestly wrote as exasperated due to the limitations of the RTW engine. If you feel it was your fault in anyway I don't understand why, anyone that made EB possible made a miracle out of what they had to work with. Either way, the lover of beauty traits and the like are the ones I'm talkling about, the ones you get for just not being retarded with your economy and having over 50k at the end of the turn or something like that.

Oh and also, for some reason I find my generals get randomly sprinkled with "Cautious Attacker" traits even if I attack everything on sight on the same turn.

Plus I can't really be blamed for the system you guys were forced to implement when working with the RTW engine with roman names, presumably to allow the name changes "Agustus, Caesar, Makedonicus, etc." to occur. I'm only hoping that it will be possible to permit this in the MTW II engine.

In the future please try to keep in mind that anything I say, funny, serious, sad, angry, anything, is always with respect. The main reason I say that is because I hate having to act like I'm writing a college essay and tip toe around everything I say.
    Last edited by Darius; 05-21-2009 at 09:38. Reason: Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I honestly wrote as exasperated due to the limitations of the RTW engine. If you feel it was your fault in anyway I don't understand why, anyone that made EB possible made a miracle out of what they had to work with. Either way, the lover of beauty traits and the like are the ones I'm talkling about, the ones you get for just not being retarded with your economy and having over 50k at the end of the turn or something like that.

Oh and also, for some reason I find my generals get randomly sprinkled with "Cautious Attacker" traits even if I attack everything on sight on the same turn.

Plus I can't really be blamed for the system you guys were forced to implement when working with the RTW engine with roman names, presumably to allow the name changes "Agustus, Caesar, Makedonicus, etc." to occur. I'm only hoping that it will be possible to permit this in the MTW II engine.

In the future please try to keep in mind that anything I say, funny, serious, sad, angry, anything, is always with respect. The main reason I say that is because I hate having to act like I'm writing a college essay and tip toe around everything I say.

Not being retarded with your economy means keeping the balance as close to 0 as you can.

Cautious attacker means you are either going to and from the attacking screen before actually attacking (attack, withdraw, attack, withdraw, attack within the same turn, while governing your empire between deciding to attack for example) or you are attacking with elite fullstacks all the time, in which case your generals are only attacking when they certain of (numerical) superiority.

The naming sistym is quite ingenious, though not at all for the Gallicus, Germanicus and stuff, since the middle name disappears. The only thing that's really awkward about it, is that you can't cheat. And cheating is not really the purpose of the game.

You do need to tip toe around when you are doing suggestions for "improvements" for a mod IMHO.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

If you were to tell any business owner that having a large income is retarded he'd laugh til he wet himself. In this game unfortunately that's unavoidable I guess so I'm thinking that if there isn't going to be anyway around it I'll just have to start making massive legions just for the sole purpose of sitting around soaking up excess revenue. Historical or realistic? Not really, but if the game won't let you guys get around that problem I can't see any other solution.

The whole looking at the attack screen thing repeatedly is something I was entirely unaware of. That's something I've never heard anyone mention before and if it's true that should save a lot of my generals and you're awesome for just pointing that out. Of course I'll never stop building full stacks no matter what anyone says, it's kind of a compulsion I have lol.

I don't remember who said this, was a King I think, but while having his portrait taken he told the artist to paint him "Warts and all" and that's something I took to heart. If my social equals can't accept me for who I am, there is no point in pretending to be anything else. Of course that doesn't apply to job applications, where I am a whole different person, but that's another story.

why can't soulless murderers like beauty? doesn't that just make them even more deliciously decadently arrogantly evil... I mean, in the "I kill thousands of people BUT I like dogs and I detest people that hurt dogs"-kinda vein?
    Moreover, I advise that Syracusans must be added to EB (insp. by Cato the Elder )

Is looking forward to the 2090's, when EB 20.0 will be released - spanning the entire Eurasian continent and having no Eleutheroi - with a faction for every independent state instead. Look out for the Gedrosians, the Cretans and the kingdom of Kallatis!

Do you speak about EB 1 or EB 2? It's possible to give traits to your FM or generals or agents in EB 1, although I think that is not really role-playing. I always give "Legendary Admiral" to my admirals, because I prefer longer range for the ships and I failed miserably to achieve this in another way. Sometimes I give "Minion" (but with a changed result) to some Celtic or Greek FMs, because this was far more spread than depicted in EB. But other traits which made a FM a better fighter or manager should be worked hard for by doing certain things. I like the EB trait system very much.

In EB 2 there may be problems. In M2TW I never was able to activate the console and I don't know why.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

In MTW2 the cheating "problem" is solved. You can give traits with the command: give_trait this if you have selected a character. You don't have to typ it's name.

Example: I want to roleplay a loyal general at the frontier. I select the commander I want to give the trait and move him outside the city. Then I put in the command: give_trait this Loyal 4 and you get the trait Loyal Beyond Question (+4 Loyalty).
    Exegi monumentum aere perennius
    Regalique situ pyramidum altius
    Non omnis moriar

- Quintus Horatius Flaccus